my attempt at increasing tree rendering quality

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Manoa

Post by Manoa »

this was an experiment to improve the tree rendering quality and consistency, I achieved partial success and was able to render all the tress at highest rendering quality up to a specific zoom point for procedural trees, feature trees were not fully tested but the limited test shows that they render always the same so I guess that this is working for them too, an additional benefit for this modification is that it unclamps the config variable treeradius and gives the user direct control of this variable

WARNING: high performance video card is required or else it could crash your computer

I ran this on my radeon 7950 and it worked fine at < 10 FPS when zoom is out fully, I recommend a video card twice as powerful for this modification (GTX 780/980/Ti or 290/X/Fury)
Attachments
HD-trees-patch-spring-98.0.patch.txt
(10.29 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
gajop

Re: my attempt at increasing tree rendering quality

Post by gajop »

Github issue is the way to go. If you want feedback for the visual part, screenshots are needed.
Also, is this just for the engine trees? Imo, all engine features should be removed.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

oh hey lets remove all tree lod code out of nowhere im sure that will be accepted right
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

If this is an attempt to contribute to the engine, please follow https://springrts.com/wiki/Development: ... e_included
Patch files aren't an easy reading (for me at least).
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Yesh, you definitely need to optimized it, there is no way people are going to play it with less than 10 fps.
Manoa

second edition - a little improved performance inside some inner loops

Post by Manoa »

I didn't planned to include it to the code :)
serious work that needs to be done by real graphics programmer is beyond me right now :) otherwise I wouldn't be here :)

yes there is a few reasons I did this is, procedural trees look very terrible and there are quite a few mods that run those procedural tree maps, and to improve graphics without mutch regard for performance at the moment just to make sure it works at this point.

now what is important for me was to hear from you what you think and based on that hopefully I can continue, the low performance problem maybe requires more programming skills than I have, but since you mention it is very important, I will see if there is anything that I can do about it (unlikely xD)

the real purpose of this patch is for people that have 300W video cards and whant to make sure that everything is always on highest, which is something the config parameters don't always properly do, consider it a config fix for big videocard players and not a engine development attempt

P.S. Kloot: those LODs look awful I hated them so mutch that motivated me to do this patch, I realize my way is not the only way to fix that problem, but from my point of view it is bether than the alternative :) and yhe I know this is extreme :)
Attachments
HD-trees-patch-v2-spring-100.0.patch.txt
100 compatible edition of v2
(17.8 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
HD-trees-patch-v2-spring-98.0.patch.txt
second edition with a little improved performance inside some inner loops
(13.51 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Return to “Engine”