Engine Testing - 99.0-RC5

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

fifth release-candidate for 99.0! (seems we have some release-candidate inflation)

all major issues which have been found since rc-4 are fixed. please test as its possible the last release candidate!

Changes
  • fix a lot of bugs
  • add Spring.{Get, Set}UnitMaxRange
  • add SFX.RECURSIVE flag to Explode()
  • allow to disable demo file recording in scrip.txt via RecordDemo = 0
  • remove __DATE__ macro (reproducible builds)
  • reduce compile time / size
  • fix KAIK dgun code (be warned!) :-)
Changes in Detail:
changelog.txt
git diff last rc to HEAD

Download
See the download page for how to get it.

Bugs
If you find a bugs, please report to Mantis.
Please attach infolog.txt as file, if you crash!
current release (known) blocking bugs no major bug.
Usaga

Re: [engine] Release candidate #5 for 99.0

Post by Usaga »

KAIK at this moment will try to dgun enemies? :|
abma
Spring Developer

Re: [engine] Release candidate #5 for 99.0

Post by abma »

Usaga wrote:KAIK at this moment will try to dgun enemies?
it always did, it got broken unnoticed due changes in the ai-interface.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Engine Testing - 99.0-RC5

Post by Nemo »

Awesome! ThinkSome updated S44 dev engine host, so we'll give this some playtime.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

You haven't said which build you consider to be RC5. Is it 98.0.1-706-gaa3e0e2?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

abma wrote:See the downloadpage for how to get it.
:-)

but using current development version is better, as it already contains fixes which were found through testing. so please use 98.0.1-706-gaa3e0e2 already!
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Assuming it's 98.0.1-706-gaa3e0e2, I played for a little while and found no obvious bugs. Vehicles didn't get stuck to a lab even once thus far. I'm not sure if I like the new camera though. To move around the map effectively, it requires middle mouse key to be pressed down, which I don't personally fancy to do when I'm used to not having to do it. Also changing the angle (with ctrl down and mouse roll up/down) has a weird bouncy movement to it that is a bit distracting.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

To open up my camera issue a little; I've gotten very accustomed to move the camera by zooming out and zooming in to new spot I want to go to (or quick keying around) as this also gives me a good overview of what is going on in the whole map. In the 706 build, doing this isn't possible, as the.. Um, I'm not actually fully sure what happens -- but the end result is that the camera doesn't move to the place which you tried to zoom into. The place stays at the edge of the screen; This doesn't feel very intuitive to me. If I zoom somewhere, I expect the camera to also start centering to that spot.

Now to get an overview of the battle and to jump into a new place with your camera, you need to first zoom out, then move the camera so it's centered to your new place you want to go to (which you can't even do you're at max zoom level and already seeing the whole map?), then zoom in, and then fix the centering with a bit more middle-mouse button magick. It's a lot clumpier than the old "zoom out, target cursor, zoom in"-routine.

EDIT: Adding some good feedback, too! I like the transition effects on the different map views. Pathfinding feels like it had had a few touches, too. At least I haven't yet got an unit stuck in a lab! :wink:
Last edited by tzaeru on 04 Jun 2015, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

Looks like ZOOM-OUT is broken for spring cam (inverted: when it zooms-out to the left it should actually zoom out to the right). I will make a video to demonstrate tomorrow. Also I found many other bugs. Will report/retest tomorrow too
darklord42

Post by darklord42 »

Assuming 98.0.1-706-gaa3e0e2 is indeed 99.0-RC5, I have an OSX 10.10 build on this thread. Also there is the latest springlobby as well.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=32970&p=565290#p565290
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Zoom-out should not move the camera differently depending on where the mouse pointer is. It feels weird.

also, that annoying camera rotation if mouse is near top-left or top-right corners is still there. Am I the only one that thinks it is a big usability blunder?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

As already said many times by many people - it would be much better to keep the old default camera, which was much liked and well used, as the default camera.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Silentwings wrote:As already said many times by many people - it would be much better to keep the old default camera, which was much liked and well used, as the default camera.
+1
Adding a new camera: Sure!
Removing some unused cameras: Well, .. ok
Changing the default without the new thing being polished: Not good. Also not smart as it leaves a bad first impression making people dislike it even if it gets fixed in the future!

PS: It's good that it can be modified, but defaults matter.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Is this the right place to ask about what the new camera is ought to improve on? The primary difference I can notice is the zooming behaviour, but the zooming behaviour in the old default camera is the exact one we (or, at least, I) expect in almost any game. I, of course, applaud the effort of making good, alternative cameras, that players can choose to use, but here's also a matter of convention over configuration.. Keeping the default as what I'd expect to happen in most RTS games would be better, in my honest opinion.
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

raaar wrote:Zoom-out should not move the camera differently depending on where the mouse pointer is. It feels weird.
Are you drunk? It must! Take a look how current Overhead Camera works for example
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

jamerlan wrote:
raaar wrote:Zoom-out should not move the camera differently depending on where the mouse pointer is. It feels weird.
Are you drunk? It must! Take a look how current Overhead Camera works for example
SORRY, raaar! I was wrong/drunk! It really should not ZOOM-OUT depending on where pointer is! https://youtu.be/xwjnsS1zTHw
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

jamerlan wrote:Also I found many other bugs. Will report/retest tomorrow too
Actually most of the bugs are fixed today by jk. Good job!
But still I reported 3 bugs:
https://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=4795 (fixed already)
https://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=4793 (fixed already)
https://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=4792 (fixed already)

thanks for RC-s and fixes!
Last edited by jamerlan on 07 Jun 2015, 00:19, edited 2 times in total.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I have no opinion regarding the camera because ZK has a camera managing widget which made me unaware of a change to Spring's default. I am happy as long as the old default camera does not break. Other Spring games should do a better job of enforcing the defaults that they want to use. Don't let Spring pick them all for you (as long as you know what you are doing and not just overriding the Spring defaults willy-nilly).

I think the going down hills slows units bug is a blocker for release.
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

Google_Frog wrote:I think the going down hills slows units bug is a blocker for release.
Your link is not correct :-) Are you talking about this? https://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=4791
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Yes, fixed. I even caught myself pasting the wrong one once and still did it.

Return to “Engine”