Can we break the forum out of the site design? - Page 2

Can we break the forum out of the site design?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Silentwings

Re: Can we break the forum out of the site design?

Post by Silentwings »

Thanks, it looks good for me. I find the quick links kind of annoying, I would prefer just two buttons "active topics" and "search", which don't need to be tucked away in a menu.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'm not interested in forum template changes as far as this thread is concerned. This thread is about breaking out the forums, my new nav bar ( stressing the word nav ), allows this. Nav bar + standard phpbb, you can create a separate thread for the block in phpbb with the quick links etc

If you want to know how the nav bar will work, I put everything needed to test it out in my post. Select the code, copy it, open the web inspector tools, edit the html and paste the code from earlier at the very end. Hey presto you have what's in my screenshot.

As for what nav links would look like, thanks for the mock up forb. I'd remove the bold, the icons, make the text uppercase, and kill the home link ( people know to click the main logo, it's a moot point for the rest of the web, lets not make it an issue here )

Again I repeat, it's a basic mockup that took 10 minutes and a starting point, not a final design, so I implore you actually read my posts rather than just looking at the photos
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

open the web inspector tools
I don't think asking people to test like that will work (and it certainly won't work on me) - especially since a fully functioning test site already exists. Realistically I think to get feedback from non-devs here you'll have to rely using the test site and at worst making screenshots.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

But Forb, what about the navigation bar?! With no links, our users won't be able to get anywhere!
Last edited by Jazcash on 03 Jun 2015, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Silentwings wrote:
open the web inspector tools
I don't think asking people to test like that will work (and it certainly won't work on me) - especially since a fully functioning test site already exists. Realistically I think to get feedback from non-devs here you'll have to rely using the test site and at worst making screenshots.
10 minutes, I did say it was a quickly put together think using basic tools that was a starting point. Getting code on the test sub domain needs a pull request, which then has to be merged, then deployed, etc etc hardly something that can be done from the new post screen

Forb created such a Pull Request which is currently being considered on GitHub, with the nav links from the previous page
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:I would like for it to stick to the top the entire time, that way there is no need to ever scroll to the top to get to those links. That's my preference. Thoughts?
I am ok with removing the banner but first fix the size on the navbar
Attachments
image.jpg
(41.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I think we can get it on the site without the navbar sticking, any sticky navbar will need changes for mobiles to prevent what Smoths post shows.

Smoth is that the current menu or is that a test of what Forb has in his PR at the moment?
smoth

Post by smoth »

That is the huge assed mobile layout. Everything is huge now
Attachments
image.jpg
(149.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

AF wrote:I think we can get it on the site without the navbar sticking, any sticky navbar will need changes for mobiles to prevent what Smoths post shows.

Smoth is that the current menu or is that a test of what Forb has in his PR at the moment?
Smoth's post is showing the current site, Ignore it. It's completely off base and topic.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

My recommendation is the above PR be merged, then followed by these PR's:

- Mantis support
- An aesthetics PR that puts a better sized logo in, and adjusts the typography of the menu items
- A hamburger menu style nav for screens below 600px so that there's no mess like the one shown on Smoths phone
- A sticky header

Each being separate so that they can be merged or rejected individually

For the forum buttons, I'd suggest on screens at 320px width and smaller that the margins be reduced so that the buttons don't take up so much room, and their vertical padding be reduced by 2px, would that work Smoth? Clearly what's in your image works better on larger phones but not on what I assume is an iPhone 5/4 sized screen width where it looks silly. I'd consider that something to be made as a bugfix rather than a feature PR since it doesn't change the design
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

AF wrote: - A hamburger menu style nav for screens below 600px so that there's no mess like the one shown on Smoths phone
This mess doesn't exist with the navbar. It only exists on the current site. Hamburger style menu is needed, yes, but smoth's image is pointless because it is dealing with the current site, not what is in the PR.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

applied the pull request to the test site: http://test.springrts.com/phpbb/
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

New pull request to fix the wiki: https://github.com/spring/spring-website/pull/50
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

I like it.

Are you planning on replacing the header on the other pages or are we going to have a mix of old and new style headers for now?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

abma wrote:applied the pull request to the test site: http://test.springrts.com/phpbb/
Could use a little more padding
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The current PR's don't apply to Mantis or the homepage, but Mantis is being worked on by Forb, and I think the homepage should have it too. I've some homepage specific design things in mind, but this is much better, and it's good to be consistent
Could use a little more padding
It originally did, but it looked weird in Mantis with the contrast it created
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I agree. Imma try to implement a hamburger nav menu for phones. I'm ashamed to say that I've never done one without using jquery (edit: I lied, but it was quite a while ago), but I'mma try a pure css method that AF showed me earlier, so we'll see how that goes :-D
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

applied latest changes to the test page:

http://test.springrts.com/

only issues i see is media.php:

http://test.springrts.com/media.php

and a 1 (?) px offset at the startpage to the forum/wiki menu.

Return to “General Discussion”