trac <-> github ?

trac <-> github ?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Silentwings

trac <-> github ?

Post by Silentwings »

Split from viewtopic.php?f=44&t=33499&p=569729#p569719 (Silentwings)
thoughts about migrating to Github now? ... increasing the contributability and visibility of the project is something worth considering
I think moving to github is absolutely worth considering. But what kind of infrastructure is wanted in the future is really a question for Behe, Decay & Floris to decide amongst themselves. I won't want to change it before I retire. I do feel like there are now many people interested in BA who would be able contribute and work well together, and github is undoubtedly the best platform for collaborative work.

As a side note, for LD I used TortoiseSVN to commit to github. It is possible to use the github-svn bridge and integrate seemlessly with TortoiseSVN, which makes github use much more appealing for people who are Windows users and hobby programmers with no desire to navigate git. You have to use soft links to get the checked out repo to appear as a .sdd, but there is a neat tool for this (with a gui), also there is the minor annoyance that submodules don't work with the svn-github bridge (branches do work). I'll probably write a wiki page with clear instructions on how to do it at some point.
Jazcash

Re: Imma 'nouncing my...

Post by Jazcash »

Silentwings wrote:
thoughts about migrating to Github now? ... increasing the contributability and visibility of the project is something worth considering
I think moving to github is absolutely worth considering. But what kind of infrastructure is wanted in the future is really a question for Behe, Decay & Floris to decide amongst themselves. I won't want to change it before I retire. I do feel like there are now many people interested in BA who would be able contribute and work well together, and github is undoubtedly the best platform for collaborative work.

As a side note, for LD I used TortoiseSVN to commit to github. It is possible to use the github-svn bridge and integrate seemlessly with TortoiseSVN, which makes github use much more appealing for people who are Windows users and hobby programmers with no desire to navigate git. You have to use soft links to get the checked out repo to appear as a .sdd, but there is a neat tool for this (with a gui), also there is the minor annoyance that submodules don't work with the svn-github bridge (branches do work). I'll probably write a wiki page with clear instructions on how to do it at some point.
https://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/

I've used this for years, works great. Good stuff with maintaining BA btw, sadly I stopped playing just before you started taking over, so I didn't get to see the fruits of your efforts. But I did see you put an awful lot of time towards BA, so gj, and thanks, and gl with the job :)

Btw, will this have the same impact on BAR?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Imma 'nouncing my...

Post by Forboding Angel »

Silentwings wrote:
As a side note, for LD I used TortoiseSVN to commit to github. It is possible to use the github-svn bridge and integrate seemlessly with TortoiseSVN, which makes github use much more appealing for people who are Windows users and hobby programmers with no desire to navigate git.
git->svn bridge is stupid. Git is pretty simple once you get past all the idiotic terminology. Linux geeks always come up with the most idiotic terms possible to label anything, and as a result understanding anything they make is extremely difficult.

I suppose there is still demand after all for my vid on how to set up a git dev environment on winbloze. I'll make it when i can. I thought interest had died down but apparently it is still quite necessary.
Silentwings

Re: trac <-> github ?

Post by Silentwings »

https://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ ... I've used this for years, works great.
I tried this, and I agree its not bad, and there are a few others like it too. I was kind of amused when I read TortoiseGits own discussion of whether or not to move to github...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

You're better off not using a gui with git. You'll set yourself up for far more pain than it's worth. It is good to have tortoisegit installed for the sake of having tortoisemerge though.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Does the SVN bridge support submodules?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

As a unix snob who can't do any work in a windows environment without cygwin and my precious vim/tmux dotfiles...

I typically sympathize with "CLI good, GUI baaaaaaaaad" mantra, but I know several people who have had a lot of luck with either https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/ or https://windows.github.com/. Both of them expose really handy bits of the git interface (like git add -p) in friendly ways. I ended up learning a few CLI tricks because someone mentioned being able to do something trivially in GitHub for Mac/Windows, and I couldn't see how it worked with my knowledge of the CLI at the time. TortoiseGit is also probably great, if TortoiseSVN is any indication, I just don't have any personal experience with it.

But, anyways, S44 used to be on Trac and other assorted SVN hosts (notably sourceforge), and moving to github was a great move -- we picked up some contributors, and the issue tracking system works well for our needs.

Also, we have a branch that's been alive for months: 'sweden' (actually a refactor) is over 400 commits ahead of master, with regular master->branch merges. That's something I would never in a million years want to deal with in a SVN environment, but is mostly not too painful in git (the pain is mostly self-inflicted in our case, since we changed our unitdef structure substantially). We're actually considering going whole-hog, ditching our main website and moving to a static github page -- kind of a more typical open source project layout.
Last edited by Nemo on 22 May 2015, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

there is the minor annoyance that submodules don't work
No! They can be checked out seperately and softlinked into place, though. I personally prefer doing that anyway for spring games.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Rapid doesn't support submodules, in any case. I suppose BA has a firmer notion of releases than S44, so that isn't as big a deal, but it pretty much prevents us from making any use of them for the main game. Not the end of the world, just something to keep in mind.
gajop

Post by gajop »

I use submodules because it makes updating multiple projects much easier when libraries get changed.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

I think moving to github is absolutely worth considering.
+1000!

i can only offer help...

learning curve of git is high at the beginning but it is really worth the time! also contributers can edit files at the webpage which isn't bad for minor changes.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

GitHub migration would indeed be awesome! :-) I think it could help make BA development easier to contribute to and increase the transparency of development. In general, I could see some benefit from having a more organized development structure. This isn't to suggest a fully democratic development progress -- that just never works out so well. But perhaps a more, I don't know, "formal" and "official" circle of contributers, developers and veteran players for input and the occasional vote?

For the GUI vs. CLI thing; SourceTree is amazing, IMO. Albeit I work a lot on Unix-like systems and do tend to use Git via the command line on my Ubuntu installations, I'd still switch to SourceTree if it was available for Ubuntu. On Windows and OS X, I tend to use it almost always.

EDIT: I, also, am often available for some Git help in #badev and #bar. I'm connected to both through my 24/7, so I'll have backlogs and will see any nick hilights made when I jump in to my IRC client.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

SourceTree is great software
TurBoss
Jauria RTS Developer

Post by TurBoss »

also consider the use of git extensions http://sourceforge.net/projects/gitextensions/ for windows only

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”