Red Comet Upgrade - Page 2

Red Comet Upgrade

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Red Comet Upgrade

Post by smoth »

Bear in mind Orfelius, I am not in anyway trying to tear down your work or force ideas on you. Just trying to give you some kind of meaningful critiques and thoughts on furthering your map making skills. Apologies if I came off this way at all.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

V1.2 has the Volumetric Ground Clouds shader, right? Just asking because I still don't see it here in this version (see also http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 31#p563908). Any idea what could be the cause?
My hunch would be either that you don't have GLSL support, or shader compile fails for you. I can fix the latter if that's what it is. But the other post says you don't have errors in infolog, which should be present in both of those cases.
BTW: daytime (Dawn, Day, Night) is a standard map option in the map blueprint and realdetnight.bmp is included in the blueprint.
Oh. I removed some unused blueprint gadgets but i guess i forgot to remove mapoptions entries for them. I wonder whether it's better to get rid of those options or to reinstate gadgets that enact them.
qray

Post by qray »

Right, I don't get any error message . So I played around with settings and widgets and found the source of the problem:
The fog shader collides with IceUI (or vice versa) :o
If I disable IceUI, it works as intended and the clouds "vanish" when I re-enable it. While testing I noticed that if I look from a certain angle, I can -although barely (that's why I missed it so far)- see a hint of the fog clouds when IceUI is on.

Apart from this: it looks really great! :-)
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

If I disable IceUI, it works as intended and the clouds "vanish" when I re-enable it. While testing I noticed that if I look from a certain angle, I can -although barely (that's why I missed it so far)- see a hint of the fog clouds when IceUI is on.
Sounds like there are some leaked glStates in ice if you trust my gl noob intuitions.
qray

Post by qray »

I noticed that disabling the interface via F5 also brings the fog clouds back.

Also tried to find something in the IceUI code, but haven't spotted anything obvious so far. But I have to admit that -due to my inexperience- I don't really know what to look for.

Edit: narrowed it down to control panel widget, though I still don't understand how it interferes. If this is switched off, shader works. Since this doesn't change much on the UI, I can live with it being disabled....
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

Hmm sorry I didn't really feel like I could write any constructive response at the time :\

I have removed all the files for spring config because I thought they were not used :P most maps don't have these anyhow :F

Yes I consider Red Comet to be on some sort of Mars-like planet not comet. The whole Red Comet name is a legacy from Comet Catcher of witch this map is based upon. Besides Comet Catcher was supposed to be set on moon as it was effectively catching comets not being one of them :| (thus the large craters).
Speaking of legacy: I am very uncomfortable using someone else's work to be frank. That being said considering that it is:
1. NOiZE's made map
2. hugely based upon OTA map (has same heightmap etc.)
3. I have many troubles actually mapping it properly for splats, specular and alike (wich is a big pain)
4. Still has artifacts on the diffuse that I simply cant easly remove.
I have decided to remake it from scratch. So yeah I just want to remake the spirit of the map without ugly hills and some good shader work.
Here is a sneak peak of what I already have (mostly heightmap)
Please tell me if you want more updates on progress and keep in mind that most things on this picture will be changed :) (most definetly whole texture).

Edit: I should explain that I have not mirrored the heightmap yet so you get to see only half of the map sorry :mrgreen:
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Please continue to post updates, I'm much more excited for a proper remake from scratch. :D
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

Cool, I see you're experimenting with different crater shapes. This thread has given me an itch to make a crater map, too (this one not very similar to red comet). Do keep updating, it's interesting to see how our approaches diverge.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I know its childish..

but could you give the center of the crater (the actual comet) a slightly diffrent darker colour - to tell the world that this stone came from the skys.
qray

Post by qray »

Nice!
Yeah, keep us updated :-)
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

So I have remade heightmap compleately. But after that point I got this strange idea to mockup a map from video abaut speedmapping a SupCom map https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wie877IsICw.
So I made this in 15mins:
And now honestly I kinda feel like I would like to release it as is just for :roll: reasons.

Next up will be proper metal map making and then template mapping for diffuse/specular/splats in Blender.
Btw yes I am making all of this in Blender and Krita.

Edit: Sorry about barely recognizable height values :oops: here is a better image
Last edited by Orfelius on 06 Feb 2015, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

the dark crater rims on bright terrain make it really hard for me to read the topography

hooray for krita, the only freeware way to paint 16-bit heightmaps as far as i know, except unstable gimp 2.9 builds
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

Huzah me! I am back with some update on my Red Comet Upgrade that has been transformed into a whole remake of the map! So I couldn't really find any opponent for 1v1s in ZK lately so I decided I might as well try to finish one of my projects off because why not. So I started doing it and got kinda sank into the idea of finishing the map. I guess I am commited now again 8)

This is early result of my texture work:

An early version of the map i up on the Spring Files but keep in mind that this is early alpha and it is supposed to let me know if it still feels like Red Comet. This way I can still easily commit changes (esp to the heightmap) before doing anything major such as adding shaders and such.
I would appreciate some feedback from you guys (and gals if there are any :roll: ).
eronoobos

Post by eronoobos »

i like the heightmap, but i still think the darker texture of the crater rims look really confusing. my eye has trouble reading the topography. i know because it's a crater map what it is, but it's hard to see. the dark rims make the craters look inverted, like raised bumps.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Just needs to paint ejecta using same texture/color as the crater rims and it'll be a-ok.

Return to “Map Releases”