Relocating the XTA forum

Relocating the XTA forum

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Jools
XTA Developer

Relocating the XTA forum

Post by Jools »

New try as the previous thread was locked (instead of moderated):

There are some problems currently with discussing and publishing xta-related things on this forum, so we are looking for another place. Does anyone have any experience of using the tauniverse site? I think that would be the most natural place. All we need is:

— A forum to discuss changes in the game
— A bonus would be he ability to create polls (even my salsa forum enables polls for non-moderators), I think in here only moderators can create polls.
— It would also be nice to have some control of our own forum. Here we have lost the control and threads in the xta forum are locked and removed randomly.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Relocating the XTA forum

Post by FLOZi »

Jools wrote:New try as the previous thread was locked (instead of moderated):
Backseat moderation.
There are some problems currently with discussing and publishing xta-related things on this forum, so we are looking for another place. Does anyone have any experience of using the tauniverse site? I think that would be the most natural place. All we need is:
Problems? Please elucidate. Are they related to license infringements?
— A forum to discuss changes in the game
You have this already, in a place where (whilst far from all) XTA players are registered already.
— A bonus would be he ability to create polls (even my salsa forum enables polls for non-moderators), I think in here only moderators can create polls.
You need only an admin to enable this, it is off by default (blame phpbb devs)
— It would also be nice to have some control of our own forum. Here we have lost the control and threads in the xta forum are locked and removed randomly.
What? Removed randomly? Only spam bot threads are deleted. If you wish to have moderator powers over the XTA subforum this is easy to arrange.

Please cease smearing the moderation team. We try our best.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

FLOZi wrote:
Problems? Please elucidate. Are they related to license infringements?
XTA has some things that derive from TA, but I don't understand how this is relevant in the current issue. We simply want to be able to post in our forum, have the powers to moderate it and be discussed with or at least notified if one of our members gets banned from the forum. Because it affects our team too.
You have this already, in a place where (whilst far from all) XTA players are registered already.
Yes, there is this forum but we have no control of it.
Please cease smearing the moderation team. We try our best.
It's not smearing if it's true. But nobody has monopoly of the truth and I can understand that there can be different points of view. But if you truly believe you are doing a great job then I owe you an apology, but I don't see how anyone can think that resorting into actions before first discussing can be thought as having great intentions. Or at least notify the relevant people after taking those actions. I was totally unaware of those things and I still don't know what triggered them.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jools wrote:It's not smearing if it's true.
Jools wrote:spring is like going to Russia to try to run an independent newspaper about gays
yeah no.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

What member of XTA team was banned?

Are you referring to idiotic banning of knorke by Das Bruce, which was reversed as soon as admins were informed (by Smoth!)?

And as has been said, you need only ask to be granted mod privileges within the XTA forum (polls, too).
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

FLOZi wrote:What member of XTA team was banned?

Are you referring to idiotic banning of knorke by Das Bruce, which was reversed as soon as admins were informed (by Smoth!)?

And as has been said, you need only ask to be granted mod privileges within the XTA forum (polls, too).
Now there also was a similar banning of myself, of which the other team members were not informed. Of course I can not credibly discuss whether or not the ban itself was justified (neither can the involved moderators/admins), but I can have an opinion on the bad practice of not informing our other team members—in the case that you need to ban one of us. Ideally you would of course communicate any problems directly without resorting to unilateral actions. The purpose of having a moderation team after all is to help us developers and players.

But there are other issues as well: administrative issues are being stalled (see for instance: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33375) and moderators and admins don't respond to private messages or emails (for example I emailed to ask for an explanation on the ban, which the message sent to you when you are banned says you can do).

By the way, I still don't know what caused the ban, and I guess it's not really the point. But the point is, we cannot have team members banned once every 2 months or so with no special reason given, or with no communication to the rest. It's not a reliable working climate. That's what the forum rules say if you read their spirit and not them literally.

gajop: Let me help you on your way out. I opened a report on this since I wanted to remain impartial as you were criticizing me (again) even though you know full well that's backseat moderation. And you close that report?! Since when do you think you became a mod? You're definitely not one, and the fact you abused those powers - which were given to you so you could sticky posts and make threads in the community forum - and interfered with forum moderation makes me lose the last amount of patience I have for this.
Also the minor issue of https://springrts.com/wiki/Felony#4.
User was banned for 2 weeks with the fourth warning in less than 60days
Last edited by Silentwings on 22 Apr 2015, 20:37, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: locked post
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Criticizing a moderator != backseat moderation.

The former is general, the latter is meant to apply to specifics,

I.E. "Youu called me a fucktard, that is against the rules and you should get a warning!" << Backseat moderation

"Gajop is a jerkbag and I don't like the way he pets his cat" << Not backseat moderation

Let the flamewar continue thusly.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Enough.

Return to “XTA”