PhpBB 3.1 - Page 7

PhpBB 3.1

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Tim Blokdijk

Re: PhpBB 3.1

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

smoth wrote:..
it is just me asking for you guys to make a 1 line change and get the forum layout similar to before. god I hate this place.
Next time, give your feedback before changes are taken live.. nobody mentioned the right/left thing from the 8 to the 24'th of march when it was running on test.springtrts.com (and I still cared enough tot open a text editor).
The person changing it to the left now is fucked as he wil have to fight the right guys.

Anyway, you should just make a better theme/site. :-) As currently its an ugly thing wherever the avitars end up. If you do that and put them left in the proces I will be perfectly happy with it and thank you for it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Tim I would love to help, even if I had the time but honestly, I cannot deal with the negative feedback I get already on past dead stuff. It is just entirely demotivating. Forb is a competent web developer and as he indicated above mistakes were made and his past work was deleted.

Also, yeah i probably should have, I have been more or less only 1 foot in here these days. I am not sure if I will continue doing stuff or leave this community entirely. I tried taking a 2 month break but when I came back, it was back to the same drama from the same crap. Then it got handled, now it is starting again just from a different angle. Honestly I don't know what to do.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

All this arguing, and nobody has created a pull request? You all had time for a 7 page thread, so maybe nobody knows how to do this

Starting at:

https://github.com/spring/spring-website

Create a fork

In your new fork, navigate to the phpbb theme stylesheet

Click edit

Now we can scroll to the bottom of the stylesheet

Add the CSS to put the avatars on the left, remembering to put a commit message:

Your copy of the project now has avatars on the left! Go back to your forks repo page, and create a pull request to send our changes back to the original project:

It'll show you the changes for you to double check. Yes that looks good! Click create

Tell the engine devs what your pull request is for

Congrats! Now an engine dev just needs to click a button and it becomes official :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Why? It isn't something that was unsure of as far as possibles. it is a matter of what is desired.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

People would rather bitch than take the 2 seconds to make a merge request.

That said, Just use a css override extension. There are extensions for every browser worth a shit that do this already. Very vocal minority.

@knorke, it already does show the edited time and date, but oddly, only when someone has made a post after the one being edited. This board has always behaved that way, and I always thought it was a bit weird, but it's a phpbb thing.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Precisely, unless those up top make a call, one way or another, we will be forced to use this...

there is solution to right or left. Create a second them, this one has an alt CSS that puts the avatar on the left.

that could be possible if users could be allow to select our theme. They share files but have different css files IIRC.. just a thought.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I don't get it why we even maintain the forum ourselves. There are ready to use forums such as https://xenforo.com/ that already provide a standard solution.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

relying on outside sources would be unwise.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:relying on outside sources would be unwise.
+1
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:@knorke, it already does show the edited time and date, but oddly, only when someone has made a post after the one being edited. This board has always behaved that way, and I always thought it was a bit weird, but it's a phpbb thing.
He's right that it usually doesn't show for mods (even if we edit our own posts).
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

smoth wrote:I am not sure if I will continue doing stuff or leave this community entirely. I tried taking a 2 month break but when I came back, it was back to the same drama from the same crap. Then it got handled, now it is starting again just from a different angle. Honestly I don't know what to do.
You had a interesting day, that might also have something to do with how you feel atm. :-) Congratulations.
I took breaks that where more then a year.. it's a hobby. If Spring isn't fun, I do something else and return when I feel the itch again. I'm available for the limited set of responsibilities I have committed myself to (dns for the domains). And once in a few years I pick a little project I find interesting and can finish in some amount of time. I want all games in the world to be open source projects, bit of a long term thing.. just keeping Spring healthy is step one.

Return to “General Discussion”