PhpBB 3.1 - Page 4

PhpBB 3.1

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

abma
Spring Developer

Re: PhpBB 3.1

Post by abma »

signatures make a forum very unreadable, thats why they are disabled and they were always disabled in this forum afaik (since > 6 years at least).
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Oh god, lets not bring back signatures

As a sidenote, did nobody remember to increase the avatar width to match the new sidebar? I probably wouldn't have picked Yoast SEO as an example of professional sidebar design, perhaps cartoon imagery though

Also hooray for post counts and a top menu that isn't super cluttered, and RSS feeds!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I was using it as an example of professional site design depicting right hand sidebars.

The point raised was that professional sites never used right hand sidebars, which I overwhelmingly proved to be false.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

The lack of a fast view of recent advances, certainly helped me to break the remains of my post all the things habbits ..
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

is this better http://test.springrts.com/phpbb/ ? (if nobody complains with a good reason, i'll merge/apply to current website very soon)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Please merge my latest pull request before you do. Fixes iPhone layout.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

applied the changes to main site + remove mobiquo / tapatalk plugin (as phpbb is responsive now!)

thanks Forboding Angel!
smoth

Post by smoth »

can we get the poster info back on the left? I dunno, it throws me off and should not be too hard to just switch the 2 divs?
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

abma wrote:is this better http://test.springrts.com/phpbb/ ? (if nobody complains with a good reason, i'll merge/apply to current website very soon)
Seems to work on my end.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

It's darker and edgier, do it!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Who cares that half the hyperlinks are the shade of lavender flowers, or that there's a CSS error pushing the first news image down 500px on the frontpage

The real problem is how wide the forum is on a 324px screen
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

AF wrote:Who cares that half the hyperlinks are the shade of lavender flowers, or that there's a CSS error pushing the first news image down 500px on the frontpage

The real problem is how wide the forum is on a 324px screen

Wat? Clear your cache, silly man :-) That was only an issue for like 5 minutes after the new forum/theme went live (cause of missing styles, etc).

Ctrl + f5 for great win and justice :-)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I have cleared my browsers cache, in as much as it offers me too, and I still have the issue too: http://i.imgur.com/IVpBTn6.png.

I have another issue (which was not caused by the most recent change, but iirc started immediately after the big update) on my tablet, which is a Galaxy Note 2014 running the latest version of Chrome. The forum has about a 1 second lag on every single click I make, before it reacts. I have no idea what causes it, only the forum is affected - the rest of springrts.com works fine, and no other website I've ever seen has the same issue. I don't see the issue on any of my PCs.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

That's not a CSS issue -_-

Wrt your lag, it works fine on chrome on my s3, s4, xperia z ultra, my brother's 1+1, my sister in law's moto x, my nephew's evo 4g, and on a nexus 7. Thanks to your comment I checked on all of the above. Cannot replicate.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I don't have any issues like that either.

But one wish: would it be possible to move out the "new posts" and "search" links from the drop-down menu?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The games page alone looks horribly broken, partially because of the original design used, partially for other reasons, but half of that can be fixed with a wiki page edit

The issues I mentioned though have been present for quite a while, they're not new, and they're not alone. It's easy to talk about aesthetic and improvements, but there's plenty to be done in the name of bug fixing and tightening things with what's already here

e.g.

- The news item content and the title heading for item news item are misaligned, the headings need additional horizontal padding
- The logo and the title bar on the forums are aligned, but the forums themselves have additional padding on the left and right, and need several pixels dropping
- The padding on the left of the page is ignored for the download button on the right hand of the menu
- Homepage images in the news have no padding or spacing around them
- The call to action uses the wrong red and doesn't match the logo
- Captions in the lightbox have horrific text styling:

- News is randomly capitalised, and appears as news and New interchangeably
- The download links for Kernel Panic and Zero-K installers look like super shiny buttons, but only the bottom 10 pixels of the button are actually clickable

- wow, just wow:

Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 02.12.03.png
(109.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 02.07.42.png
(216.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forum layout issues on the phoen
Attachments
image.jpg
(103.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
image.jpg
(143.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Second image is intended behavior smoth, first image with the post box is definitely not. I'll make the smiley div go below the post box or something.

@AF I had no idea that's what you were talking about. I never look at that crap. My bad.

Let me point out that I had nothing to do with any of this. I simply fixed the forum for responsive on phones. I'mma do a lot of other forum improvements too.

Edit: I have no wish to get involved with fixing the site, atm all I care about is the forum.
cleanrock
Former Engine Dev

Post by cleanrock »

These are my biggest complaints about new forum:
- "View the latest post" is a 5 pixel icon that is hard to hit
- "New posts" hidden in "Quick links"

Let us make spring forum easy to use and not look like an experiment.
gajop

Post by gajop »

cleanrock wrote:"View the latest post" is a 5 pixel icon that is hard to hit
Btw, you can still click on the red icon on the left side to see the newest post that you haven't read.

Return to “General Discussion”