WC in SC2

WC in SC2

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

gajop

WC in SC2

Post by gajop »

Just leaving this here: http://www.gamersbook.com/News/Article/ ... e-Gameplay . Pretty impressive imo.
I also remember there being some starcraft units in WC3 mods back then, but nothing on this scale.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Re: WC in SC2

Post by raaar »

there's something depressing about these conversions.

After many months (or years) of hard work, they end up with something that looks and plays EXACTLY like the old game they already have.

what's the point?
gajop

Post by gajop »

This was created by the users, not Blizzard.
I think it looks a bit better (different certainly) with the new rendering engine and a better GUI, but I certainly get your point.
The question is then though, what's the point of TA-like games here? ;)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

gajop wrote:The question is then though, what's the point of TA-like games here? ;)

They would be great if they were in any way similar to TA, but none of them play event remotely similar to the way TA did, making them pretty pointless really (in terms of a rehash, not in terms of a completely different game).
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

raaar wrote:there's something depressing about these conversions.

After many months (or years) of hard work, they end up with something that looks and plays EXACTLY like the old game they already have.

what's the point?
one thing that could improve is the latency. i don´t know why, but playing sc2 on the Bnet seems to have a better response to activating abilities/items compared to playing WC3 over Bnet. And that is something that can break the game since you rely heavily on things like potions and scrolls. Depending on the person who hosts the game when it comes to non-ranked games, its a real balance issue.
Because of that, my friends i play the game frequently with, insist on using hamachi to improve the latency issue.
So if the MOD fixes that, while staying close to WC3 in all other aspects, its a great thing in my book.

Plus, it looks much better.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

gajop wrote:This was created by the users, not Blizzard.
I think it looks a bit better (different certainly) with the new rendering engine and a better GUI, but I certainly get your point.
The TA-like games here tried to fix what was broken about TA, by changing the balance, unit attributes and adding new units.
smoth

Post by smoth »

It doesn't recreate wc it is a half assed unit port
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

raaar wrote:
gajop wrote:This was created by the users, not Blizzard.
The TA-like games here tried to fix what was broken about TA, by changing the balance, unit attributes and adding new units.
Yes, and improving GUI too.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

smoth wrote:It doesn't recreate wc it is a half assed unit port
it´s not even finished... so how do you know its half assed?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Why do I owe you an answer to such a stupid question?

User was warned for this post, felony 1. (gajop)

Play nice.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Eh? It actually looks pretty good to me. They've done a great job replicating not just the units, but also the entire game mechanics. Seems they also have plans to redo the campaign if they have enough time.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

smoth wrote:Why do I owe you an answer to such a stupid question?

... didn´t say you owe me an answer...
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

wc3 is one of the greatest examples, how great style can defeat great tech and time..
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

raaar wrote:The TA-like games here tried to fix what was broken about TA, by changing the balance, unit attributes and adding new units.
Soooo... If at first you don't succeed, try, try again?

AA
BA
CA
DA
EA
FA
GA
HA
IA
JA
KA
etcA

Fwiw, was your post meant in sarcasm?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote: Soooo... If at first you don't succeed, try, try again?

AA
BA
CA
DA
EA
Forboding Angel
GA
HA
IA
JA
KA
Slightly misusing it here, but they also say that imitation is the best form of flattery. If you ask me, we need diverse games in Spring more than anything, but as long as there are no legal ramification, I think it's great that people are willing to make TA-clones still. It shows how great TA was, and it allows people to further explore what it can be done with it.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

His post may not have been sarcasm, but mine was dripping with it.

In other words, don't take what I said very seriously. That said, BOTA was by far the bes *A mod to ever grace spring. It was very similar to TA with the vast majority of the fail removed.

For the time anyway.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Forboding Angel wrote:(...)
That said, BOTA was by far the bes *A mod to ever grace spring. It was very similar to TA with the vast majority of the fail removed.

For the time anyway.
I wasn't being sarcastic. If BOTA was the best *A mod, why aren't people playing it now instead of BA, XTA and others?

the original isn't always the best when looked at without nostalgia goggles.

(I do think *A mods and other spring games still have lots of gameplay issues and that's part of the reason we have so few players)
smoth

Post by smoth »

raaar wrote:(I do think *A mods and other spring games still have lots of gameplay issues and that's part of the reason we have so few players)
are this just issues with your play style, as in subjectively important. Or issues like that gun doesn't fire 100% of the time, which are clear bugs and need to be fix. Or maybe stuff like aircraft crashing into the ground because the engine handles their flight differently now?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

raaar wrote: I wasn't being sarcastic. If BOTA was the best *A mod, why aren't people playing it now instead of BA, XTA and others?
I cannot explain how much it annoys me when people like you misquote me purposefully out of context.

The context here is a recreation of TA in Spring. (BTW, you set that context, not me, read your previous post). BOTA did that the best, by far.

You might be surprised to know that AA, BA and most of the other alphabet soup in spring are actually based upon an old ass version of XTA that was ported from TA to spring.

BOTA was about making TA proper but springified with some improvements.

BA and the other *A mods are completely different games using the same assets.

You could take all of the evo assets and make Raaar's symposium of interesting things mod. That would not make your new mod evo simply because you are reusing assets. Do you understand?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

gajop wrote:Slightly misusing it here, but they also say that imitation is the best form of flattery.
There is an important distinction between "imitation" and "copy-pasta content".
raaar wrote:(I do think *A mods and other spring games still have lots of gameplay issues and that's part of the reason we have so few players)
You are adorable.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”