Lunatic Bowl

Lunatic Bowl

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

zoggop

Lunatic Bowl

Post by zoggop »

PepeAmpere asked for a map, so here's this thing. it took two thousand lines of lua to make such fuglyness

realizing now i should have done it in LÖVE or LuaAV or something. previewing the heightmap and metal map directly in Spring is cool, but cool enough for all the interlua comms, memory limitations, and deferred rendering to get around hang detection? at this point might still migrate over, because writing a fullsize heightmap and attribute map (for L3DT or similar) from within a gadget within spring is... is it possible at all? once, i got it to write a 2048x1536 attribute map.

edit: now i have converted it (sloppily) to LÖVE, which makes it possible to create nicer textures in L3DT (w/ fullsize attribute maps). with this i've created version 2 of Lunatic Bowl. the idea is that once this system is made, i (or anyone else) can create a series of crater maps without much effort.

basically, look on my works, ye mighty, and (see my) despair. maybe i'll make something less bad eventually
Last edited by zoggop on 09 Mar 2015, 06:00, edited 4 times in total.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Lunatic Bowl

Post by PicassoCT »

You Sir, are all kinds of awesome. Now rise to be carried away and devoured by the masses who want a piece of you. May i have and hold on to your hand, so they can call me ripp-off ever after ?

PS: Can meteorshowers be triggered ingame?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Nice work.

If you fancy an ingame meteor shower you might be able to steal some meteors and rework code from http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/trac/balates ... on.lua#L75.
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

picasso, if you mean in Lunatic Bowl, no. in the map-making-map, Loony, they are *only* triggered in-game (/luaui loony shower <number of meteors>). theoretically, in-game meteor impacts as part of gameplay would be easy to do, but the pathfinding would become crap wouldn't it? and the texture isn't generated in-game, so things would start looking really strange.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

If you made small-ish shallow craters from meteors in an ingame shower (which can be done by the meteor explosion) it won't bother the pathfinder much, if at all. Not sure how to do the texture map.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Looks quite good in game. Not sure how it plays but me thinks it would make a nice background, especially with a meteor effect.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

zoggop wrote:PepeAmpere asked for a map... eventually
Thx for map for testing.

For more interesting (then exporting + saving what you randnomized) is thinking about texturing randomization during the height map randomization. Thats where I got stuck during the notAmap development. There is no easy way how to update the texture after you regenerate the map.

1)using "stamp" method to just add texture is not clean, not reliable and easy to handle on big maps (it simply eat to much computing time).
2) Rebinaraization of texture on the run doesnt seem the easy way also
3) and my attempt to cover heightmap with graphic layer using some openGL effect was not working nice (was not easy to update it and units were sometimes under texture).

Have you ideas in this?

Btw i check your code at the evening.

Btw2, I like there is some comptetitor in map randomization (zwsg seems to be sleeping right now) :twisted:. It is motivation to come up with new version of notAmap.
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

by "stamp" do you mean using Spring.SetMapSquareTexture? or do you mean more specifically a texture tile that gets stamped on top a heightmap tile, as notAmap was I assume going to do.

i do not know what Rebinaraization of the map texture means?

if at all, i was thinking of taking the route of essentially doing what L3DT does in-game, but yeah that would take forEVER computationally. (but then, generating the heightmap also currrently takes minutes if you're using a hundred craters.)

i considered ground decals, like for dynamic metal spots, but much bigger. the problem of course is that they don't receive shading or shadows.

just a neutral texture to start with and some very low-alpha decals to give it some flavor might work for craters.

honestly, the possibility of generating the map on the fly w/o any export only occured to me after i was pretty far into working on this. the motivation came from getting fed up with drawing crater heightmaps in photoshop and krita. (you might observe that a basic crater is not that hard to draw: just a radial grayscale gradient. but changing its shape involves editing a gradient... i don't know.) spring lua was the obvious solution, like alcohol

anyway notAmap has much more potential! it can draw different kinds of maps, and using tiles actually has a possibility of quick texturing.

more competition for you: what about rearranging entheru's tiles ingame somehow?

pre-lua attempts at crater-painting:
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

lololol i just did a slapdash conversion to LÖVE, and a height map of 100 craters rendered in 10 seconds. the same process takes 81 seconds in Spring. i had no idea Spring had so much overhead?
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

zoggop wrote:more competition for you: what about rearranging entheru's tiles ingame somehow?
hmm whats this?

if you need something from me let me know i will try to accomodate.
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

sorry entheru, i think i got a little
just thought, if it's possible to swap the locations of tiles in-game, one could just throw together a map of your tiles, and then re-arrange them when loading the map into a new map. has basically zero to do with this crater nonsense.

PS i put a new version of this map on springfiles. see first post
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

zoggop wrote:just thought, if it's possible to swap the locations of tiles in-game, one could just throw together a map of your tiles, and then re-arrange them when loading the map into a new map. has basically zero to do with this crater nonsense.
Your getting pretty close to the idea of my projects.

Return to “Map Releases”