About New Computer - Page 2

About New Computer

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: About New Computer

Post by PicassoCT »

Super Mario wrote:
gajop wrote:The point is ATI used to have bad opengl drivers, so games like Spring and OSes like Linux which rely entirely on opengl work better with Nvidia.
And yes, it's likely there are more FLOSS users on a FLOSS site..
Well not any more apparently after they got bought out by amd.
The point of ATI was that they had a lot of experimental crap, and called that drivers. And they had a policy to send two people teams to big game devs that would sit there and optimize that game and its drivers for ati-cards, which often ment deactivating the whole gfx card driver mumbo-jumbo they had inbreed.

Resulting in seemingly fast grafix at one blockbuster game, and shitty driver performance (if at all) for all others.
Meanwhile, nvidia at least kept to the standards and didnt go to nuts. They earned that place they are.
Even if they now pull hardware scams
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Super Mario wrote:
luckywaldo7 wrote: 2. Universal desktop OS statistics are meaningless in an open source community, because it tends to be skewed toward using other open source software much higher than average (I.E. Windows usage among engine devs is 0%)
That. makes. no sense.
What makes no sense? That a miniscule population sample is not representative of the larger whole, and vice versa?
Senna

Post by Senna »

Finally i completed the PC

Case i bought the cooler master k380 for the price of 100USD

Graffic i bought the r9 270x saphire for the price of 330USD

The power supply for all is the CaseMall 600W 80USD

for the driver i bought the BLU-RAY LG 4x for the price of 130USD

still not mounted, im waiting for some small parts to complete and mount it.

i have dude is on the Casemall 600w

it will support the amd fx 9590 and the rest?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

PicassoCT wrote:
Super Mario wrote:
gajop wrote:The point is ATI used to have bad opengl drivers, so games like Spring and OSes like Linux which rely entirely on opengl work better with Nvidia.
And yes, it's likely there are more FLOSS users on a FLOSS site..
Well not any more apparently after they got bought out by amd.
The point of ATI was that they had a lot of experimental crap, and called that drivers. And they had a policy to send two people teams to big game devs that would sit there and optimize that game and its drivers for ati-cards, which often ment deactivating the whole gfx card driver mumbo-jumbo they had inbreed.

Resulting in seemingly fast grafix at one blockbuster game, and shitty driver performance (if at all) for all others.
Meanwhile, nvidia at least kept to the standards and didnt go to nuts. They earned that place they are.
Even if they now pull hardware scams
I see lot's of claims with no evidence. Besides, I don't see any relevance to what I have said.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

luckywaldo7 wrote: What makes no sense? That a miniscule population sample is not representative of the larger whole, and vice versa?
How the heck does anything you just said make any sense? "Universal desktop OS statistics are meaningless in an open source community, because it tends to be skewed toward using other open source software much higher than average"
That bold part is a non-sequitur, because a) you do not know the motivations of people being involved
b) not every open source software have the same type of community.
c) you have shown no evidence of users "using other open source software much higher than average"
d.) the usage of OS software isn't necessary correlated to using a certain Operating System.
Last edited by Super Mario on 25 Feb 2015, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Silentwings wrote:
How do you know that senna is a linux user?
/ means or
Woops, sorry, must have misread when I quickly scan it.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Super Mario wrote:
luckywaldo7 wrote: What makes no sense? That a miniscule population sample is not representative of the larger whole, and vice versa?
How the heck does anything you just said make any sense? "Universal desktop OS statistics are meaningless in an open source community, because it tends to be skewed toward using other open source software much higher than average"
That bold part is a non-sequitur, because a) you do not know the motivations of people being involved
c) you have shown no evidence of users "using other open source software much higher than average"
d.) the usage of OS software isn't necessary correlated to using a certain Operating System.
Do you think that 1.34% is a good estimation for the percentage of linux users among active spring community members/players?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

luckywaldo7 wrote:
Super Mario wrote:
Do you think that 1.34% is a good estimation for the percentage of linux users among active spring community members/players?
What part of "Desktop OS browsing statistics" do you not understand? Hint: it's not strictly referring to spring community.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

A "yes" or "no" would be sufficient.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

luckywaldo7 wrote:A "yes" or "no" would be sufficient.
False Dichotomy
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Super Mario wrote:
False Dichotomy
Omg lol, read your own link.
The fallacy of false dichotomy is committed when the arguer claims that his conclusion is one of only two options, when in fact there are other possibilities. The arguer then goes on to show that the 'only other option' is clearly outrageous, and so his preferred conclusion must be embraced.
I didn't make any conclusion at all. I was simply asking a yes or no question on your opinion.

I'm still waiting on your answer for the question that you've dodged twice now. How do you think OS usage in the spring community compares to global OS statistics? (As an *explicit* statement and not an intentionally oblique return question)
robartvad

Post by robartvad »

Increase the external storage of pc , all are configuration good. SSD 128gb its not enough .
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

luckywaldo7 wrote:
Super Mario wrote:
False Dichotomy
Omg lol, read your own link.
The fallacy of false dichotomy is committed when the arguer claims that his conclusion is one of only two options, when in fact there are other possibilities. The arguer then goes on to show that the 'only other option' is clearly outrageous, and so his preferred conclusion must be embraced.
I didn't make any conclusion at all. I was simply asking a yes or no question on your opinion.

I'm still waiting on your answer for the question that you've dodged twice now. How do you think OS usage in the spring community compares to global OS statistics? (As an *explicit* statement and not an intentionally oblique return question)
It's a loaded question, now will you admit to your error and drop this already?
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

robartvad wrote:Increase the external storage of pc , all are configuration good. SSD 128gb its not enough .
I could be wrong but in most cases HDD's are the one thing to roll over into new builds. I'm sure the SSD is just for a performance boost, while the old storage rolls over to the new PC with all of his data.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

There is no error, the percentage of linux users in open source communities is much higher than the global average.

This is just common sense, but also supported by polls:

Of the people polled, about 15% percent are primarily linux users, which is 10x global average. And over 1/4 of users have played on linux at some point. So when a user is asking for help, it's pretty reasonable to assume that they might be interested in linux-related information also.

I was rather hoping you would think about the question long enough to reach this conclusion on your own, but ok.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
(50.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

luckywaldo7 wrote:
There is no error, the percentage of linux users in open source communities is much higher than the global average.

This is just common sense, but also supported by polls:

Zero-k != all open source communities. Try again.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

But, any open-source community has much more in common with just the zk community than it does with the entire mixed population of computer users. (And this was really about the spring community anyway, not that that even matters)

I don't know why you are determined to destroy your credibility with posts that are nothing but aggressive and troll-y.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

This is the share of operating systems in users browsing github, taken in 2008. I agree it's not very recent, but it's significantly different compared to the global usage shares back then.
Not to mention the Linux share just went up these years.

luckywaldo7 wrote:I don't know why you are determined to destroy your credibility with posts that are nothing but aggressive and troll-y.
credi-what?
I probably deserve a warning or something for that, sorry Flozi.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Ah, there was a poll about this? And yes, btw, the global browsert usage is not representative in spring community, it was just something I found fast.

But are those polled members unique? How was it decided who to include in the sampling?

But even with 16 % linux share, it's not logical to assume user is linux user, without having any further info about him/her.
Floris

Post by Floris »

opensource gamecommunity != opensource gamers

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”