Working map shading on intel..

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

aeonios

Post by aeonios »

I wasn't going to complain about this, since honestly intel built-in graphics are crap, no joke. But, it's still fully capable of doing all the openGL stuff that spring uses and it's still a lot better than some of the stuff that was available a decade ago. I've even run on medium graphics settings without much lag.

The main reason I'm complaining though is that when I try to make maps I can't see adv map shading and there are lots of effects which I'm using but have to have someone else test and send screen shots. That takes forever and is a pretty unreliable way of getting anything done. It kind of makes me angry when I can't see what I'm doing and my system should be able to do that even if it's slower. Updating my drivers didn't help anything either, unfortunately.

For all I know it may work on linux/mesa, but migrating back to linux isn't really an option for me at the moment, not to mention zero-k doesn't really run on linux nor load through spring on linux properly. :|
smoth

Re: Working map shading on intel..

Post by smoth »

aeonios wrote:I wasn't going to complain about this, since honestly intel built-in graphics are crap, no joke. But, it's still fully capable of doing all the openGL stuff that spring uses
How is that? their gl implementation has been historically terrible, worse than ATI's. What is your intel card? what shader version does it support.

infolog.txt please
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

my system should be able to do that
why? what goes wrong when you enabled adv map shading?
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

Silentwings wrote:why? what goes wrong when you enabled adv map shading?
It looks exactly the same as without adv map shading.
smoth wrote:How is that? their gl implementation has been historically terrible, worse than ATI's.
I never said it was a reasonable request. :P
smoth wrote:What is your intel card? what shader version does it support. infolog.txt please
http://pastebin.com/2A1RNciJ
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

GL info:
..., haveGLSL: 0
I guess thats the reason.
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

Silentwings wrote:
GL info:
..., haveGLSL: 0
I guess thats the reason.
... right below the stated GLSL version. It's not like I'm running a p4, this card lets me run at 1920x1080 and is still very playable even with mass trees and giant maps and such. I can see speculars and normals in blender and SC2, why not in spring?
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

cause they use directx?
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

I realized that spring uses SDL internally for rendering anyway, so I should probably be complaining further upstream. :| I have a better temporary solution for my own problems, so oh well I guess.
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

aeonios

Post by aeonios »

smoth

Post by smoth »

aeonios wrote: I never said it was a reasonable request. :P
No worries, just mentioning it
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

aeonios wrote:I realized that spring uses SDL internally for rendering anyway, so I should probably be complaining further upstream. :| I have a better temporary solution for my own problems, so oh well I guess.
Wait it does? I thought it's own custom rendering system that jk develop?
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

Super Mario wrote:
aeonios wrote:I realized that spring uses SDL internally for rendering anyway, so I should probably be complaining further upstream. :| I have a better temporary solution for my own problems, so oh well I guess.
Wait it does? I thought it's own custom rendering system that jk develop?
"rendering" comes in levels. Like OpenGL, glut, then the rendering engine built on top of that. On the other hand for all I know spring's engine could have been written entirely from scratch, but either way.

Return to “Feature Requests”