Plugin API: hooking/customizing SPADS commands

SpringRTS Perl Autohost for Dedicated Server

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers, SPADS AutoHost

Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Plugin API: hooking/customizing SPADS commands

Post by Nemo »

Hi bibim,

I'm doing something a little roundabout in my plugin, and wanted to ask if you thought it should become part of the normal API.

What I'm doing:

Code: Select all

my $builtin_start = $::spadsHandlers{start};

addSpadsCommandHandler({start => sub ($source, $username, $params, $checkOnly) {
        my $backend_says_ok_start = 1; # <API call>
        if ($backend_says_ok_start) {
            $builtin_start->(@_);
        } else {
            sayBattle("NOT OK");
        }
    }}, 1);

I'm comfortable with this because I <3 perl and hack it for a living, but not everyone is in the same boat :)

Do you think there should be a more straightforward way of hooking !start? Either by exposing launchGame directly, or by some sort of command-chain-fallback thingy, where one !start hook could work and then yield to the next with a successful return val (or something). In either case (or some other one), let me know, I'd be happy to see about a pull request once I get this S44 zombies thing off the ground.
bibim
Lobby Developer

Re: SPADS AutoHost

Post by bibim »

Nemo wrote:Do you think there should be a more straightforward way of hooking !start? Either by exposing launchGame directly, or by some sort of command-chain-fallback thingy, where one !start hook could work and then yield to the next with a successful return val (or something).
Did you take a look at the preSpadsCommand callback? I think it does exactly what you are describing here, in a generic way for any SPADS command.

For more complex cases where one needs to alter the logic of an existing command (and not just filter its execution or execute some code before/after the command), then indeed it is required to do something as you did. You also need to restore the original command handler when the plugin is unloaded. There is an example of this in the KickBanNextGame plugin, which alters the !kickBan command logic. Here is the relevant code:

In the plugin constructor:

# save default kickBan command handler
my $self = {previousKickBanHandler => $::spadsHandlers{kickban}};

[...]

# replace default kickBan command handler
addSpadsCommandHandler({kickban => \&hSpadsKickBan},1);
In the plugin unload callback:

# restore default kickBan command handler
addSpadsCommandHandler({kickban => $self->{previousKickBanHandler}},1);
Tbh it seems ok for me like that, I'm not sure this specific use case requires additional dedicated API functions?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Re: SPADS AutoHost

Post by Nemo »

Argh! No, I missed preSpadsCommand. Perfect, I will use that :). Totally agree that there's no need for additional API surface area for this case.

Return to “SPADS AutoHost”