smoth's junk. - Page 34

smoth's junk.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Re: smoth's junk.

Post by smoth »

click image for larger..

as per my thread here

been going back and forth with different concepts for my conyard that will morph it's self into different functionality.

So I cam to the conclusion that all the upgrades and stuff should essentially be sprung from the conyard center. I am not nearly done yet as it is going to take a bit to get the sizes and all correct but I think it will be a royal pain in the butt to do so I have started all the same. This structure would probably be most of the buildings so rather than before where i did piecemeal building by building, this time I shall do almost all of them at one time.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

How will you add the upgrades? Stacked upon each other? Each upgrade a fixed position?
Your modular weapons system is the optimal way to start out on this one, but it doesent take away the designproblems that come with this.

Basically, if you visualize every upgrade, you run out of space pretty quickly. Only sollution is going up, stack them. But then they hide what lies behind...

You could stack them up, and have the building go into a "bunker" mode when its not active. That way, its not in the way most of the time.
smoth

Post by smoth »

These are not upgrades to inifinity, it is choose 1 or 2. you cannot have radar + gun tower. just conyard to guntower. go see the thread where I discuss it again..
smoth

Post by smoth »

click image for larger.

The turret + walls.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Anti-air gun.

modeling progress
Supply chain = 90%
armored all round defense turret = 100%
armored anti-air defense turret = 100%
seismic detection structure
sight tower structure
radar structure
repair structure
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Design communicates the thoughts and worries of the maker (engineer) at designtime. In this case, a rather lot of armor, which speaks volumes on the faction, it has been entrenched quite long, values endurance higher the speed of movement and trusts its tech to be suffciently cooled (and non-explosive) to have it inside of the whole turret thing. Such factions often show a lack of economic when it comes to material, workforce and efficiency - and they are proud that there enemy cant affor this. You propably could build five deathstars with the material for one, and same could go for a turret.

Rebells look different. They expect to be mobile again soon, so no heavy armour or if, then there where experience in battle shows the leadsnowstorm howls from.
There guns might be experimental, so rather have them on the outside, were explosions dont do damage. The Ammo they use might be fire and forget, and so scrap might be left behind.
There Power Generators or AmmonitionDepot is rather disproportional or not part of the setup at all and somewhere else, because cobbled together tech. People tend to worry mainly about there own asses, so pilots weld the armour to it, resulting in "interesting crafts" - or technicals, which can be turrets too. Also, if you have a rather loose military structure, these things tend to get "home" pretty quickly, customized to keep comfy during long watches and moves. If you dont trust your tech, you keep escape-routes open and lower tech replacements/repairtools nearby.
smoth

Post by smoth »

these are also planned as popup turrets.
smoth

Post by smoth »

(click image for larger)

Seismic detection arm
smoth

Post by smoth »

(click image for larger)
Sight tower, seismic detection, radar center
cannon tower, aa tower, conyard.

I have no decided how the repair center is going to look yet.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

smoth wrote:Image

Anti-air gun.

modeling progress
Supply chain = 90%
armored all round defense turret = 100%
armored anti-air defense turret = 100%
seismic detection structure
sight tower structure
radar structure
repair structure
somehow that reminds me of the german flak towers.
smoth

Post by smoth »

cool so you guys like em?
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

yes, it has some military complex flavour to it.

spring games where units are unable to shoot through friendly units seem to favor defensive turrets that are taller than the units around them. Those are flat and wide. May look weird when built on top of a cliff and have to shoot at targets on lower elevation.

That's less of an issue for dedicated AA or artillery though.
smoth

Post by smoth »

bear in mind also that the very straightforward military look is just these guys. Behemoth is meant to be the very militaristic looking guys with lots of boxy/angular stuff the fusiliers are meant to be the more Futuristic rounded looking guys.

So for style think, stealth craft mixed with Front mission. Where the fusiliers are meant to be closer to Zeon/Oz mixed with powerdolls

All the conyard based structures will be power hogs. They are high on hp, and I am planning on only allowing players to construct them on metal spots. The current idea is that you will have a little construction vehicle you send out and once it reaches a metal spot, you can deploy it(morph) and boom construction of your conyard starts.

Of course this means metal maps would have a different dynamic.

I may or may not drop the toggle-able walls(the long rectangles on the sides) in order to make the footprint smaller.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Spent today working on code. Mostly just fixing a ton of potential areas
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I applaud your decision to colour the structures a shade of pink. Please halt all work on retexturing those models and increase saturation settings <3
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

The ghost of Argh demands SALMON PINK!
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Any new pics? :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

Spring community drama sucked all my motivation out. I was working on this right before then. Image
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Auto cannon? maybe have another variant with a 2nd barrel?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Yep. Started on more modular pieces

Return to “Art & Modelling”