Steam tried to install me a game without my permission

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

I'm severely pissed at Steam - they tried to install me a game without my permission.

I started Steam, as usual, since I was going to watch some Dota 2. Steam starts installing 2 updates, as usual. One of them was an update to Dota 2, as usual. The other one was installing a freaking game!!!

I didn't request to install the #$%"# game!!!!!!!! It was 1.5GBs worth of download and who knows how much HDD space, taken from whatever partition (I have an SSD and an HDD - I don't want clutter in my smaller SSD). I don't accept games to just be installed into my computer at someone else's will and without my unequivocal permission.

I'm #$%& pissed at Steam!!! I am regreting deeply having accumulated so many game licenses under their control.
Anarchid

Re: Steam tried to install me a game without my permission

Post by Anarchid »

Which game?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

"The licenses for most software and other practical works are designed to take away your freedom..."
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Now, now, all this complaining, all this being pissed, valuable air, valuable fluids, that could have gone into rowing the Galley.
Wanna free Ring on your shackles?
smoth

Post by smoth »

what game?
gajop

Post by gajop »

This is really weird. I've seen Steam add games to your library, but I've never seen them also install them. Are you sure you haven't double clicked on them by accident?
Seems like a bug if nothing else. They have really no incentive to do this IMO.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

On the other hand, what would be more interesting and fat as target as steam? If you would be carefull, you could push "purchases" on people and earn money for nothing.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Sorry, vacations just started - airplane back home, family, friends, stuff.
The game is Sanctum 2.

I too have had games automatically be added to my library, which is unpleasent enough. But never before did I have a game install without my instructions.

My first suspicion was that it was a mistake (likely from my part).
However:
- The game started downloading immediately after I started Steam. There is no way I could have ordered it to install by mistake. I had just started Steam and it showed immediately 2 downloads pending.
- I checked the game's page and it was early-access. I never purchase "early-access" games, which increased greatly my suspucion.
- I also checked all my Steam receipt-emails confirming the game's name is not in any of the receipts. I never even bought the game.
Kloot wrote:"The licenses for most software and other practical works are designed to take away your freedom..."
Lethal Weapon 2,3,& 4 (Leo Getz "They Fuck you" with Cell Phones,At Drive-Thrus & The Hospital)
I couldn't agree more.
smoth

Post by smoth »

sounds like there was a glitch and you were given a free game? What is the issue?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Sounds like capitalism succeeding over gabens rule..
Bribe the Steam Admin, get your free 2 pay shit shove down some suckers throat - if you have enough money as lubricant, customers portfolios get glitchy..

From the guys that brought you goat simulator- comes goatse simulator, swallow your pride and open wide, cause here it comes..
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Sanctum 2 is Early Access? It doesn't say that on the Steam page (what the page does say is that it was released in March 2013). And no, Picasso, it's not F2P.

Something weird is going on here...
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

smoth wrote:... a glitch and you were given a free game? What is the issue?
Maybe try an analogy:
You've been buying lots of new furniture on Ikillya. One day, you get home and you find Ikillya personel inside your home without your permission installing a chest of drawers in your bathroom. What is the issue?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Incorrect analogy. I ordered some chairs and a week later I was sent a TV tray
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I'm guessing that you accidentally clicked an install button inadvertently. Steam is not set up to be able to install things without your input. At this point, I would know.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Family members you've given spare keys to do far worse things than install chests of drawers in your bathroom when you're not home..
Shift

Post by Shift »

>gets a free game around Christmas from steam
>F*@k steam why would i want a FREE game

I've looked at this again and again and i still cant see the reason why 1.5gb free game would ever be a problem. Steam is pretty regulated, it's not going to be a virus. More than anything, whats the worse that could happen, that you actually like it?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

AF wrote:Family members you've given spare keys to do far worse things than install chests of drawers in your bathroom when you're not home..
Dont get me started.. in that case, its best to have a home made of nanomachinery (VMs), so that everytime it bites the rust, another one rites the dust and good as new. You can not make a system that is basically save and has a clueless user. Not with nux, not with os- so all you can have is something that is robust restoreable .. and the hope that among all those adds there is nothing that invests the nanobots, so that every new house has inverted plumbing.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

As I have stated, steam is not set up from the dev standpoint to auto install games.I HIGHLY doubt that this happened without inadvertent input from you.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I mean, its completely unlikely that something proprietary like steam or itunes would simply decide to push something on you- like a music album. So u2 dont worry, cause they will do whats asbestos for the custHomer (aka as Homo Custos).

TL,DR; There is nothing to be gained for them - well execept if you are a dead customer. Then it migth be good to push a little life into your install of steam.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Forboding Angel wrote:As I have stated, steam is not set up from the dev standpoint to auto install games.I HIGHLY doubt that this happened without inadvertent input from you.
PauloMorfeo wrote:...
My first suspicion was that it was a mistake (likely from my part).
However:
- I also checked all my Steam receipt-emails confirming the game's name is not in any of the receipts. I never even bought the game.
###
PicassoCT wrote:... its completely unlikely that something proprietary like steam or itunes would simply decide to push something on you- like a music album. ...
Not entirely sure whether you were being sarcastic..?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29208540
Apple has released a tool to remove U2's new album from its customers' iTunes accounts ... Some users had complained about the fact that Songs of Innocence had automatically been downloaded to their devices without their permission.
And
gajop wrote:... I've seen Steam add games to your library, ...
PauloMorfeo wrote:I too have had games automatically be added to my library, ...
Whatever reasoning might have been behind that. (I even created a «garbage» category to dump unwanted crappy games thus removing them from the list to declutter it.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”