fast pased First Person Shooter GPLv2

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

[last]Butters

Post by [last]Butters »

here is the fps i am playing right now http://www.xonotic.org/
reminds me of q3:cpma. i like the dynamics
runs "out of the box" on my ubuntu 14.04

several mods. many servers at different geo points. about 5-10 games non empty at time.
EU servers are filled closer to eve. population (in numbers) is like DSD 8v8 + some rare games. (i prefer CTF). ping<100 (30 minimum)
central stat server. ELO / player ranking. auto balance + manual team selection. balance is not forced, but encouraged.

i'm not any kind related but a player. so, it's just for general support of OSS and games.

enjoy your game =)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: fast pased First Person Shooter GPLv2

Post by Forboding Angel »

I was very meh about this until I read this on your site:
Xonotic is a direct successor of the Nexuiz project. It represents years of development from its humble beginnings as a Quake 1 engine modification, and now aims to be the best possible open source first person shooter available. It could be considered most similar to Unreal Tournament and Quake at its heart, especially regarding teamplay and game mechanics.
The quake engine is fantastic. The unreal engine is shit as it introduces phantom mouse lag and the Nexquiz project went ass up the moment it started using the unreal engine.

Compare quick reactions in unreal engine to source or quake, and you can immediately tell what I'm taking about. Unreal has hardcoded mouse acceleration and smoothing, so much to the point where I refuse to play fps games make with the unreal engine.

In the UT days it was fantastic, but the successor to UT totally fucked it up.

Edit: Cryengine. Nexuiz uses cryengine, which does the same thing wrt mouse dampening/smoothing/acceleration.
[last]Butters

Post by [last]Butters »

it's not my site =)

i believe you can turn off mouse accel in options (i did it). CS have mouse accel by default too iirc.
But might be there is something about aiming (i especially think so whem i'm raped by top players)) i noticed some lag in aim/shoot, not sure if it's my noob feeling. i'm playing it about a month.

i like doom), UT, q3:cpma. nexuiz makes me paraleptic. had no fun with warsow, it's too pro for me.
code_man

Post by code_man »

Xonotic is a quality game, i can say this much.

Tough its too much of a q3/ut clone and there are already like 5 opensource alone ones of those, not to mention if you played q3/ut in its time then this is going to become boring rather fast.

Dont let the fact that its based on the quake engine fool you, it uses a highly updated version called darkplaces that is very up to date and powerfull and flexible, i use this engine myself.
If you into game engine stuffs then you should give it a shot.

Id recomend anyone to atleast xonotic and i myself look forward to version 8.0.
code_man

Post by code_man »

Bampu pantsu.

0.8 is out due soon from what i heard, rumor has it it will have vehicles and the like so keep an eye out.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

[last]Butters wrote: i like doom), UT, q3:cpma. nexuiz makes me paraleptic. had no fun with warsow, it's too pro for me.
hehe, I've been playing Warsow every day for the passed few years :P Come play CA, ICA or Bomb some time!
knorke

Post by knorke »

Since Quake live got messed up some time ago, time to try this again.
Last I played Warsow most of the servers were CA mode. Never liked that much, best part of arena shooters is picking up more stuff than the opponents! How likely is it to find a duel or FFA server?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

knorke wrote:How likely is it to find a duel or FFA server?
The best games going on Warsow atm are the bomb pickup games imo. Just join #warsow.pickup on Quakenet and there's a bot that manages the pickup games. You can just do !add bomb and it will ping you when it's time to play.

There's a bunch of regular duel players. You can also just ask "duel anybody?" in that channel or #warsow and somebody will want to play, I always hear guys asking for duels.

The skill ceiling is what you'd expect for a 'faster quake' type game though and 75% of the playerbase is made up of long-time, well experienced players making it quite difficult for new players to get into the scene.

Not much FFA. A few games now and then but nothing regular unfortunately.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”