Forged Alliance Forever shut down!!?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

http://www.faforever.com

https://www.reddit.com/r/supremecommand ... shut_down/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ ... r_project/

http://scfaf.net/?p=15#comments

All while I've been for the past week writing comments on PA-related discussions that it was one of the major competitors to Planetary Annihilation...
I downloaded and ran it for the first time last week and wanted to test it out more thoroughly in the next days...
smoth

Re: Forged Alliance Forever shut down!!?

Post by smoth »

is this one of the many games you have to play on their server? if so GHEY
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, it would seem so. See the red arrow in that screenshot?
Top in orange is Forged Alliance Forever, the others are the other mods.
smoth

Post by smoth »

That is fucking terrible man. I hate when companies do this.
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

Not a company : it would seem that the only guy owning the lobby server got fed up and wiped out everything.

AFAIK the official SupCom1 servers were shut down a long time ago, that's why the FAF lobby was made in the first place.
scifi

Post by scifi »

I have been reading, and it appears that the guy got fed up and he deleated everything and posted a link to the PA website :|

I think you must be in a somewhat dificult emotional state to do such a thing :|

I guess the problem was this was a 1 man venture with a couple people helping on the way.
However there is a new lobby being built by a couple community guys however i doubt it will be as great as before.
If you have coding skills and really want to contribute, please wait. We are in a massive hiatus now that the old lobby went down. We did not expect this. We expected to build a lobby up within a week, now we are going to work hard and get it up as fast as possible, that is why, we probably won’t accept coding help, just because of how long it would take to reach a consensus which me and Sheeo have, across a broader audience. We do not have documentation. We do not have running code examples of what we see. It would take a long time. We will love more hands on deck when we have basic parts running.
Now thats what i call a chaotic shutdown, reminds me of that website where artists posted their models and linked to their CVs that got shut down in the same fation. However in that ocasion people actualy lost their work assets.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

The problem is, with one guy doing all the things is - that soon enough that one guy, defines himself by what he does. So trying to take away that stuff is - trying to take away the meaning of life.

PS: Not be to be pushy, but shouldn't we jump on there backs and try to get delicious stake- while they wiggle on the ground?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

So one moment here i am, thinking about that knorke's elephant troll thread and that "oh spring has so much drama".

And then they show me WHAT drama REALLY looks like.
scifi

Post by scifi »

Anarchid wrote:So one moment here i am, thinking about that knorke's elephant troll thread and that "oh spring has so much drama".

And then they show me WHAT drama REALLY looks like.
I know right!

Random statement : Spring should have a like functionality to posts, and higher size Avatar icons 10Kib so oldschool
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

This happened on a much smaller scale here when Tasclient autoupdated to springlobby because of butthurt. Thankfully that is one aspect of spring (lobby plurality), that has big plusses next to some minuses. I am unsure who has the off button for this forum, the lobby server and springfiles, but I hope it is multiple people with multiple backups.

It is a very good argument for open-source everything and dev teams with multiple people in charge with none having sole control over pulling the plug.

also: sorry for your loss man but I do kinda hope this brings some ppl to spring. If only BAR was launched soon.
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, I kind of took advantage of that... a lucky coincidence being that people just asked me about Zero-K :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/di ... 6414624547
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Didn't read the thread or even play FAF, but that's a nice post and (if it really is dead) also a good opportunity to advertise Spring games, thank you!
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

I'm not sure that a lot of people are going to read it on page 6 of a steam thread (even if it's also linked from page 4 of another steam thread)... but it's also less likely that PA devs will remove it as blatant advertising.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

BaNa wrote:This happened on a much smaller scale here when Tasclient autoupdated to springlobby because of butthurt.
Don't forget EE's disappearance overnight.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

In before Licho terminates Spring
scifi

Post by scifi »

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

BlueTemplar wrote:Yeah, I kind of took advantage of that... a lucky coincidence being that people just asked me about Zero-K :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/di ... 6414624547
I'd prefer you not indirectly put down evo in the process. If they choose to get it that way, just tell them to disable the battle filter and they can join whatever game they please.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

scifi wrote:http://www.faforever.com/2014/09/future ... Co.twitter

its not over yet it seams :wink:
Hi everyone my username is Visionik. You may have seen me around FAF. To be honest I’m not all that great of an FAF player, but I really, really enjoy playing the game. I am a software engineer by background, but for the last 15 years I’ve been an entrepreneur and investor. I wanted to help move the FAF community, so I worked over the last two days to put together a deal that was good for Ze_PilOt and for the FAF community.
seems like the money was right
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

I'm sorry, but I felt that I needed to do that after launching EvoRTS several times and never actually seeing a player. I just cannot not to warn someone new to Spring games about it, or they might assume nobody plays Spring games (yes, I know, there's always people in the lobby, but you get my point). The only reason I did not put it together with the other Spring games listed at the end is that it's because it's the only one on Steam - which ended by being problematic after I realized that it could put off people out of all Spring games altogether.

Honestly, if it were not for Zero-K efforts to make a Spring game to get easier into (which are not perfect, but way ahead of any other Spring games I've tried), I doubt I would have been recommending any Spring games (and FAF) in discussions about PA.
Just like I don't recommend anyone Sword of the Stars 2 unless he's a 4X hardcore player, and even then, with warnings, all despite considering Sword of the Stars 1 the best game ever made (with Alpha Centauri my n=°2, and Zero-K n=°3 now).
scifi

Post by scifi »

BaNa wrote:
scifi wrote:http://www.faforever.com/2014/09/future ... Co.twitter

its not over yet it seams :wink:
Hi everyone my username is Visionik. You may have seen me around FAF. To be honest I’m not all that great of an FAF player, but I really, really enjoy playing the game. I am a software engineer by background, but for the last 15 years I’ve been an entrepreneur and investor. I wanted to help move the FAF community, so I worked over the last two days to put together a deal that was good for Ze_PilOt and for the FAF community.
seems like the money was right
yeah ;/

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”