Windows 10

Windows 10

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Jools
XTA Developer

Windows 10

Post by Jools »

What is your opinion of windows 9, which is due for beta in two weeks?

Here's a review of it, and I think it looks promising:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/wind ... creenshots

Finally they seem to have voice recognition working to a decent standard enough to call it a new feature.
Last edited by Jools on 03 Oct 2014, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
SinbadEV

Re: Windows 9

Post by SinbadEV »

Vista sucked, 7 didn't suck so bad, Nobody liked 8, so I imagine we are due for a good one again.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Exactly my thoughts. Seems every odd windows version is good. Every even Star Trek version is good. Together they would always be good ;)
Petah

Post by Petah »

I think 8 is awesome.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Im on 8.1 at work, and am pretty happy with it.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Maybe 8.1 is the good version that came after 8 then.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I don't see any reason to upgrade from 7 to 8 or 8.1, unless you have a laptop and a touchscreen.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

As great as windows is for some things, there's so much they could have done but didn't, and there's no reason they couldn't have. Such as redoing all the desktop icons to match the new style in Windows 8 ( or paying a designer to do them, not being happy and putting it out as concept art for feedback and a hopeful free redesign ), or using their fancy new monospaced fonts in cmd.exe

What I've seen doesn't impress me, nice changes, but none of them address the underlying problems that have always made Windows awkward/cumbersome
Jools
XTA Developer

Re: Windows 10

Post by Jools »

Has anybody tried it yet? I tried it in a virtual machine and it certainly looks better than win 8, from the first glimpse. I will probably set up a dual boot with this and sever soon...
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Here's a graph about how windows version name has progressed over the years. It's very interesting because it doesn't always just go up :)

CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

What is the point between 95 and 98? A 5?
Cubex

Post by Cubex »

I tested W10 for 2 days in a real computer, installed on a spare SSD I had, I was greatly surprised with the performance, from USB boot to desktop the instalation took around 7 mins, all the drivers got installed in first desktop session, even the graphics one (a bit older than current).

The system performance is great, 7 or 8 segs to boot, multi desktop looks interesting but having to move windows bettwen them by right clicking > Move to desktop X is boring, I just want to drag them

Played TA 3.1 without any problem, tested Alt+tab several times if crashes TA like in W7 but the game was running, after playing I installed firefox and then had to restart and blam, a nice BSOD ocurred just after pressed the restart button in menu, saying about "paged in nonpaged" stuff

Firefox has some serious performance problem when Flash is installed in W10 (pages took 5 segs to load, even those pages without flash), so I had to remove flash... dunno why

Someone asked me to test Jazz Rabbit, played a bit and when I close the game another BSOD happened with "system service problem" or something similar, this time the BSOD caused all NTFS volumes mounted by W10 to need check, no data was loss.

TL;DR: W10 looks promissing but is VERY unstable and not advised to use on daily basis, just a test
CarRepairer wrote:What is the point between 95 and 98? A 5?
I guess that is Windows NT 4.0, released in 1996
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

You get TA working on Win7? For me it is working but it is flickering, even if I have compatibility mode on windows 98. But I haven't tried OTA, I'm using TA:CC, maybe that's the reason. I cannot imagine that Win10 would be any different than win 7 in this respect, to me they seem to be based on same engine.

I also tested win10 on a read machine, and for me it took a while to get the right drivers, especially the gfx drivers. Performance-wise I found it slower than win7, although I'm running win7 from SSD and win10 not.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Win10s "privacy policy" allows MS to use a keylogger on you :D

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... every-move
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yes, but how can you avoid that anyway? Everything is NSAware nowadays...
gajop

Post by gajop »

Jools wrote:Yes, but how can you avoid that anyway? Everything is NSAware nowadays...
No it's not? Use Linux.
MetalSucker

Post by MetalSucker »

Why use Windows 10 when you can use Windows 95... on your smartwatch ...
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Linux had also a virus some time ago, maybe it's NSAware?

Only think you can do is maybe use chinese products, they won't have any backdoors...
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Didn't want this to derail into OS comparison, because this is true for all major OS: https://xkcd.com/1200/
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

omfg... When I thought Microsoft could hardly be any worst I found Apple. And now I find this...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”