Small widget to protect online status

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Recently many games have started monitoring users' online status for many good and bad purposes. But many may not consider their online status as public information, therefore they may not wish to show this information. I consider it to be up to the player what information he wants to make public.

You can use this small widget to achieve this purpose, it moves the mouse cursor periodically so that you appear online (and can go get a cup of tea if you wish). It also saves the screen from burning for those who still use CRT-monitors :)

Share and enjoy.
Attachments
cmd_protectafk.lua
Version 1.0
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Small widget to protect online status

Post by CarRepairer »

I will change the online status monitor to keep track of your last n cursor positions and if there are no more than 4 distinct coordinates, I will assume you're using a widget and mark you as afk.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I wanted to download it but that would mean the download counter would display "Downloaded 7 times" and I consider it to be up to me whether or not I want to make that +1 information public. Please stop monitoring me.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Lol you actually wrote this
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

CarRepairer wrote:I will change the online status monitor to keep track of your last n cursor positions and if there are no more than 4 distinct coordinates, I will assume you're using a widget and mark you as afk.
It's possible to make this widget draw a random number in the beginning and use that for loops.
Manoa

Post by Manoa »

thanks dude, you rock, this is what I needed for some time now and now it's here !
you just won +10,000 internets !
smoth

Post by smoth »

why is this needed? I mean really what is the problem?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I wrote it in the first post. To summarise:
1) User needs to be allowed to control whether he appears afk or not. It's not anyone else's decision.
2) Protect from burning monitor.

It's better to assume benign users and give them therefore freedoms they can use with responsibility. Everything else is the police state, and we do want that. I think we are above that level.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

User needs to be allowed to control whether he appears afk or not. It's not anyone else's decision.
I would like to appear completely afk while I am actually playing. New feature?
smoth

Post by smoth »

What is bad about being shown AFK if you are AFK?

Return to “Lua Scripts”