Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Installation instructions are lacking

Post by Forboding Angel »

smoth

Post by smoth »

Not trying to give you shit but just saying I would probably raise that and NOT use the engine wiki for reference in this area.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:Image
natto bath?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

If you are really reading those long walls of text, you are not gonna get much else done in your life. Juristic stuff is a waste of mind-time. Just use gpl stuff and be fine.

TL; DR;
Socialize, or your mind will invent people who are after you to do that for you. :)
phillipsjk

Post by phillipsjk »

Forboding Angel wrote:There are no binary dependencies supplied with EvoRTS. Are you talking about weblobby or spring?
Splitting into two threads may have been a bad idea.

The copy of weblobby avialable for download from the Goodle drive link fails with an "illegal instruction" error Stack trace.

When I launch the (I think debian-supplied spring engine) game from (Debian supplied) springlobby, I get the same illegal instruction error after the loading screen. I suspect something requires SSE2 instructions (which 32-bit AMD CPUs and PentiumIII's don't support). As I mention in my other post, libIL.so.1 appears to get implicated, but I was not able to find the relevant functions in the source-code.
There is no way I was going to find that: the search function on the Steam store does not work with JavaScript disabled. I was going off this page (ignoring the wiki): http://www.evolutionrts.info/download/

I am reluctant to buy an newer card, since the manufacturers feel they do not need to write enough documentation for people to implement drivers. (I only recently bought my Nvidia card after being assured that it was mostly reverse-engineered by now.)

Edit: This post on the Steam forums looked interesting, but the included links are broken.

Edit2: Don't mean to be needlessly annoying, but I find "Nvidia GTX 450 or better (or ATI/AMD equivalent)" as clear as mud. It does not help that Graphic board manufactures have made it deliberately hard for compare models the last 10 years. (The nouveau people simply call my card "NV44")
For example, how does the GTX 450 differ from the GTS 450? I was able to find something called the GTX 460.
Last edited by phillipsjk on 21 Jul 2014, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

If that is a nattō bath how is she not currently throwing up?
smoth

Post by smoth »

"edit 2," you kinda are.. if you have a 680 it is better than the 450.. just saying.. I get you point but all games say shit like that on the box and your quandary is not with evo but with Nvidia's numbering scheme.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I may have typoed accidentally. I would swear on a stack of manga that I had an evga gtx 450 as my last card, but I can't find it on google. Perhaps I'm dyslexic and it was in fact a gts 450.

Regardless... GTS/GTX, it's all just part of nvidia's quality scheme. GTS can be thought of as "budget friendly" (Whether it is or not), GTX can be thought of as "Kick ass and take names", and GTX xxx ti can be thought of as "Kicking ass while chewing bubble gum, and we've got plenty of ass and gum".

Fwiw, I find amd's schemes to be far more difficult to decipher.

As mentioned in the other thread, the gdrive link is maintained by one of the weblobby devs (ikinz). Gdrive is always fast, and you can be assured that the dl is safe without outside tampering because google polices the living shit out of public drive downloads (they get scanned for anything even remotely resembling malware... and google is nearly as paranoid as you are about malware in public drive downloads) (it reads inside zip files, but not 7z files... unless they added that recently).
phillipsjk

Post by phillipsjk »

smoth wrote:"edit 2," you kinda are.. if you have a 680 it is better than the 450.. just saying.. I get you point but all games say shit like that on the box and your quandary is not with evo but with Nvidia's numbering scheme.
I guess that kind of makes sense: but they ran out of numbers and started counting from 100 again (the GTS 450 is better than my 6200 (Geforce is implied in both cases)) :P

BTW, I agree the ATI/AMD naming scheme is just as if not more annoying (they added "X----HD" or something).
smoth

Post by smoth »

maybe they are removing a 10th each time?

next series will be the gtx45 then the gtx 4.5? :P
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

phillipsjk wrote:I was able to find something called the GTX 460.
Yey, that's my card. I can say it works well enough for spring.

I think the second number in Nvidia name (the y in Geforce GTX/S xyz) is more important than the first number. It can be though of a rating from 0 to 9, or correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, what is the minimum requirement for spring? Something that supports Open GLSL 2.0? Would that be a Geforce 9800 and up or similar?
phillipsjk

Post by phillipsjk »

Jools wrote:
By the way, what is the minimum requirement for spring? Something that supports Open GLSL 2.0? Would that be a Geforce 9800 and up or similar?
The recently replaced system requirements apparently copied form the spring wiki said 6000 series card. My Geforce 6200 does boast "Fulll Open GL 2.0 Optimizations and support." Not sure if that includes shaders. (On my card the game falls back to static images for decals (which I assume are model textures)).
Last edited by phillipsjk on 22 Jul 2014, 17:52, edited 2 times in total.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

It would be a good idea to start distinguishing "minimum spring requirements" from "minimum evo requirements" or other game.
smoth

Post by smoth »

phillipsjk wrote:(On my card the game falls back to static images for decals (which I assume are model textures)).
Got a screenshot, it sounds like your unit lod distance is too short
phillipsjk

Post by phillipsjk »

smoth wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:(On my card the game falls back to static images for decals (which I assume are model textures)).
Got a screenshot, it sounds like your unit lod distance is too short
No, I was going off the infolog.txt
infolog.txt wrote:Warning: [Init] GPU does not support either ARB or GLSL shaders for shadow rendering
(3D trees, if enabled, fall back)

So far I have not seen sub-second frame times. However, that may be because I am in xinerama mode at the moment (GL screensavers are runing at 2-7fps). I confirmed that OpenArena (Quake 3 with free textures/models) is also a slide-show: I may be stuck in software rendering at the moment (OpenArena previously ran well on this harware (even in xinerama mode); I updated the drivers since). Update: I was using software rendering (the Gallium LLVM pipe); got 7fps with xinerama and hardware accelaration (Indirect rendering; limited of OpenGL 1.4).

Return to “Evolution RTS”