HELP STEAM USERS!

HELP STEAM USERS!

Old Evo threads before move to own site

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

HELP STEAM USERS!

Post by Forboding Angel »

Please help me! I'm at work and steam users are flooding in!

SPringie is spawning spring 91 autohosts!!! It needs to be spring 96!!
SinbadEV

Re: HELP STEAM USERS!

Post by SinbadEV »

Looks like you are getting mucho-buzz and interest... will keep half an eye on your communityif I can. Looks like smoth is already on-call.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Wow! They really are pouring in!
Smoth and Anarchid are helping, explaining and playing.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

What do you want us to be telling Linux/OSX users? Do you want people pointed to http://www.evolutionrts.info/download/ ? Do you want us to say "The Steam release was only meant to support Windows at this time but the developer plans to add OSX and Linux once the kinks have been worked out"?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Was just browsing Steam and saw Evo on the front page. Suffice to say I was surprised :-) 91 Springies, holy shit. Gratz Forb, you definitely deserved it.

Here's to hoping Smoth's own personal works get the same attention one day!
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Jazcash wrote:Was just browsing Steam and saw Evo on the front page. Suffice to say I was surprised :-) 91 Springies, holy shit. Gratz Forb, you definitely deserved it.

Here's to hoping Smoth's own personal works get the same attention one day!
He means it is spawning Spring 91.0 and it needs to be Spring 96.0.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Can the lobby be configured in a way, that users without the engine (when they are currently downloading) are auto-spec? It's annoying to have a server full, but have to wait because of multiple downloaders.

Oh, and there is total "!addbox" spam.
Last edited by dansan on 07 Apr 2014, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Most new-users complaints are: they don't know what to do / where to find the tutorial.

IMO you should edit spads welcome msg to link to steam->"How to play Evolution RTS: Crash course".
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Someone has to screencap the moment all hell broke loose. The irony is that america is not even deep rts country.. just you wait for for europe to wake up tomorrow and join in the afternoon.

Sleep(No)

Attachments
historicmoments.jpg
(354.63 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
nophotos.jpg
(426.98 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I always wondered about that: why is mostly Europe rts country? HAven't seen many asians or africans here. But 50% of world's populations lives in China and India.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

i've played some evo games today.

it seems people pour into the first server which gets full with 8 players and 20+ specs.

we were having trouble starting games cause new players without the game or map keep pouring in so we can't start.

also, there should be more accessible bits of info on how to play evo effectively, stuff spring veterans take for granted, something like:

--- starting units
- build 3-4 metal extractors
- build factory with 3 nearby basic generators close to it
- build a few combat units and go harass the enemy!
- build a construction unit and start makign metal extractors and defense turrets

--- production/resources
- use shift to queue multiple build orders (and move orders, etc.)
- on factory build meny, select a mix of combat units then put it on repeat
- factories need power generators nearby
- power generators also raise supply cap globally and give Energy/s
- metal extractors give metal/s which can be used to build stuff
- energy/s is used by units and turrets when firing
- after the first few minutes, build more power generators and storage units so you don't run out of energy during battles

--- unit control
- use right click and drag to move units in line formation
- use "F" to attack-move not "A" (which orders units to attack ground on most spring games)
- use shift to queue multiple orders

also

- anti-air units only shoot at air units, and anti-building units only shoot at buildings

etc.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Evo needs a page like this one that is specifically for other RTS (generally *craft) players. http://zero-k.info/Wiki/HelpForRtsPlayers
knorke

Post by knorke »

it seems people pour into the first server which gets full with 8 players and 20+ specs.
Yes, that is really bad. There should be much lower limit for specs and players. Not for the gamequality but so that players spread to more hosts and actually get a chance to play.

I think one reason why all new players pile into one room is this:

1) Some dozen springies with evo but none can make it ingame.
http://abload.de/img/nospringieingame05ug9.png
(the single sword is icon for "in room but not ingame", crossed swords means "running game)
I watched for some hours and if a springie was ingame it was always a zK one. I could not observe a single evo game being played this way.
Even if some springie rooms were on correct 96.0 (not sure if from spring-people telling them about !setengine or from changed default?) the games never started for some reason.

Other common errors or questions I saw:

2) "spring features 1.0 missing"

3)"How to play singleplayer/How to play missions?"
(no idea what is correct answer to that)
I told some to open a room and add survial bot spawner but they said: "enemy does nothing"

4) -"Camera is bugged"
Always spammed "press ctrl-f2" and "press middle mouse" which appearently mostly "fixed" it. But is asked WAY too often.

-seems if you singleplayer tab does not work unless one has previously joined a multiplayer game to download engine (?)

5) engine, game or map not downloading

6) Opening new room/springie thing in weblobby makes it spawn with engine 91.0. Especially bad because one player opens such non-working room and 5 others join this "trap".

7) The autohosts that do work still cause nonfunctional games, for example by silly spacemaps where units can not walk etc.

8) singleplayer Tab does not work with fresh install because user has no maps, game file or engine

IF YOU TELL PLAYERS TO JOIN AN MP GAME SO IT DOWNLOADS ENGINE:
MAKE SURE TO ESPECIALLY MENTION TO JOIN AN 96.0 ROOM

Basically these problems are not that new..
They also showed during desura advertisement and in weekly game-meetings:
If there is no spring-experinced person around then new players are unable to get anything set up to play. For few regular players it is ok to solve problems by manually talking to each player. But if help from experienced players is so important it imo shows game was not ready for steam.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Somebody up there in the steam-cloud did forb a favour by laying this on monday. Guess they actually checked it, and found struct Infra dangling..
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Main problem of the day: people who join a host dont have engine/game/map yet but they are not specced automatically. So games are hard to start (even with admin).

Everyone needs to pay very close attention to what is happening. Forb did an amazing thing here but there is soooo much to learn and to improve.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Forb: please make more trusted users admins. It takes ages to start a match, because of all the downloaders. spec-voting seems disabled. I wanted to help start a game, but couldn't because of some AFKs taht cannot be specced.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Has the issue actually been resolved or is everyone just discussing it? If so, can the solution be posted here so we don't have another thread in 6 months time?

How do you make Springie launch 96 for Evo?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

More power to the #evoadmin!
How do you make Springie launch 96 for Evo?
Supposedly you can pass an engine version with the !spawn command now.

Trunk weblobby uses 96.0 by default.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Spads config is strange: admin (klap) made me !boss. Then: in boss mode a match can only be started by the boss, when he's also playing. I couldn't unboss it. No match could be started (without me playing). That was EvoDedi1. Klap came back later and unbossed it, and started the match.
Good thing about boss mode: all that addbox-spam is blocked :)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

bandwidth usage for maps and evo.sdz skyrocketing

(click)
Attachments
Screenshot08.04.2014.jpg
(90.28 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Return to “Evolution RTS”