Oculus Rift RIP in peace - Page 2

Oculus Rift RIP in peace

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Re: Oculus Rift RIP in peace

Post by SinbadEV »

Found an interesting article that makes the important point that the interface won't matter in a few years... what's going to matter is who owns the servers we connect to with our inevitable ubiquitous computing devices and whose EULA is going to control our lives... http://www.raphkoster.com/2014/03/25/mu ... culus-sale

(article get's bonus points for using SpecFic vocabulary to describe things)
Last edited by SinbadEV on 26 Mar 2014, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

SinbadEV wrote: ...we'll get the Metaverse from Snow Crash instead of FarmVRill...
knorke wrote: ...Then concerns like "Will require fb account to use", "advertisement in games" ,"not open source anymore", "users get tracked" ..
oh-ho what do we have here...
Are those 'Gargoyles' the analoge what we have now with these cancerbook fans[?]

The imagination that Mr. Sugarmountain wants to create a Metaverse
which is when I understood it right that you can basically do almost everything like you would do in real-life inclusive shopping/trading etc... Sounds like alot of fun for the whole family!
Last edited by knorke on 05 Apr 2014, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: -
knorke

Post by knorke »

Karl wrote:The imagination that Mr. Sugarmountain wants to create a Metaverse
which is when I understood it right that you can basically do almost everything like you would do in real-life inclusive shopping/trading etc... Sounds like alot of fun for the whole family!
Such "metaverse" already exists, it is the internet.

It has long been possible to go "virtual shopping" at ebay, amazon etc.
"Virtual musuems, classrooms:" wikipedia or many other sites.
"Virtual cinema with friends:" Stream the same movie and use skype to talk.
With VR you will simply be able to get a better 3D view of some stuff, maybe usefull if you want to see what a product looks like.
When watching a video instead of message "345 users are also watching this stream" the rift cinema might allow you to see 345 avatars of other people in audience.

Is any of that usefull? Imo no, this "social side of VR" is totally pathetic and I doubt it will be accepted widely.
Rift is just a fancy new piece of hardware, basically it is a screen.
It will likely revolutionize some things, but so did the first gamer who decided to use mouse aiming instead of keyboard.
Rift will make same things more enjoyable but so does buying a gamepad or new audio speakers or a larger HD screen.
Not a useless invention at all but "metaverse" talk is a bit over the top...
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

Evangelion

Post by Evangelion »

BrainDamage wrote:Last time I posted here was months ago because you all disgust me.
Hello again. :regret:
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Evangelion wrote:
BrainDamage wrote:Last time I posted here was months ago because you all disgust me.
Hello again. :regret:
How can some little moaning, and a sudden I.Q. drop on the oponents site, scare a man this way - its not like somebody build a anal vibrator powered by your artillery..

Pound my base harder, do it..
dizekat

Post by dizekat »

I got an oculus rift a couple days ago for job... heh.

I don't get how it's worth 3 billions. In terms of hardware, late 19th century stereo slide viewer optics + a tablet do everything it does and more (wireless).

So it seems to me that any company which actually designs and makes hardware can make a vr helmet very easily (but does not because of not expecting it to be a commercial success). And if VR takes off at all, you'll be looking at Samsung, Logitech, Obscure Chinese Company, etc etc helmets, and it won't matter in the slightest who did it first.

So FB probably just wants to be first at some BS virtual world videoconference experience idea, where everyone will be stuck using what ever virtual chat app their friends use. And thus FB probably doesn't care about the hardware.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

First comes the [blah] from the inventors, then comes the early adopter ready [blah] from the innovators, then comes the [blah] from the big companies who spend money on marketing and suddenly everyone knows why they want a [blah]... then someone comes along and makes the [blah] everyone wants and suddenly people start calling MP3 players iPods.

I feel like, despite the seeming aeons of time inventors have been trying to make good VR, the Rift is the first "consumer ready" one... but I don't expect it to be the next iPod.
gajop

Post by gajop »

A new alternative for Oculus Rift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9j9tB-e7w4 http://www.cnet.com/news/googles-cardbo ... ulus-rift/ !
At first I thought it was a joke, but when actually thinking about it, this could work.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

gajop wrote:A new alternative for Oculus Rift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9j9tB-e7w4 http://www.cnet.com/news/googles-cardbo ... ulus-rift/ !
At first I thought it was a joke, but when actually thinking about it, this could work.
Yeah! It's limited in the same way that a cell phone would be in comparison to a gaming PC or Console but these days that's not much of a limit... you just ramp production value up a couple notches and it's a real alternative.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I wonder why the hype has not yet set in.. by now its should be the " third Reich.. Web" by now allover.

Google and Facebook want augment reality. It not only gives them a monopoly on visibility when it comes to conventional advertising, it allows them to accestax the classical fashion industry, replace every piece of furniture you dont touch on a regular basis with a overlayed 3dimensional one eat everything it can within reality. All thats stopping them for now is kinect size and battery.

Ja der Haifisch der hat Zähne und die trägt er im Gesicht

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”