Oculus Rift RIP in peace

Oculus Rift RIP in peace

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Evangelion

Oculus Rift RIP in peace

Post by Evangelion »

And just like that hopes are crushed and development set back.

http://time.com/37842/facebook-oculus-rift/
SinbadEV

Re: Oculus Rift RIP in peace

Post by SinbadEV »

Topic wrote:Oculus Rift RIP in peace
Rest In Peace in peace?

Also, yeah... nobody is happy with this development... Mojang's quote sums it up: I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition.

If I'd been a backer on that Kickstarter I would have been super pissed off... as it is I'm just slightly disappointed and cautiously optimistic that now that Oculus has proven that VR is possible someone that is not awful can come along and make it work... why couldn't it have been Google who bought them out? I'm sure Google had a few billion kicking around... and I hate Google so much less than Facebook.
Evangelion

Post by Evangelion »

SinbadEV wrote:Rest In Peace in peace?
I do that intentionally to trigger people.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I hope it dies, I think the technology is bad. I don't want to wear something on my face/head while gaming
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Evangelion wrote:
I posit an alternate explanation: You didn't know and are now trying to pass it off as a joke to avoid embarrassment.

Proof: A real Troll would be silently happy he succeeded or continue to fain ignorance to string me along rather than explaining the joke.
smoth

Post by smoth »

SinbadEV wrote:
Evangelion wrote:
I posit an alternate explanation: You didn't know and are now trying to pass it off as a joke to avoid embarrassment.

Proof: A real Troll would be silently happy he succeeded or continue to fain ignorance to string me along rather than explaining the joke.
Why? this is probably regret or yan ban dodging. Who cares, he is at least trolling in OT and staying out of the rest of the place. I still think we should rename it to "the pit" and make the description "where thought goes to die"
Evangelion

Post by Evangelion »

SinbadEV wrote:A real Troll would be silently happy
No true Scotsman would do that.
smoth wrote:where thought goes to die
Perhaps we should discuss bear robots. :regret:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Evangelion wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:A real Troll would be silently happy
No true Scotsman would do that.
I'm not saying you aren't also a troll.
Evangelion wrote:
smoth wrote:where thought goes to die
Perhaps we should discuss bear robots. :regret:
That's not a robot. That's a Gundam.
Last edited by SinbadEV on 26 Mar 2014, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Evangelion

Post by Evangelion »

SinbadEV wrote:That's not a robot.
Please stop, you're ruining all my jokes.
gajop

Post by gajop »

smoth wrote:I hope it dies, I think the technology is bad.
Pft, I disagree, the technology is amazing, it's just not meant to be used in all games, just some of those first-person ones that have real world-like graphics.
smoth wrote:I don't want to wear something on my face/head while gaming
Your choice.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

SinbadEV wrote:
Topic wrote:Oculus Rift RIP in peace
Rest In Peace in peace?
It's a thing actually: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/rip-in-peace
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

So everyone's favourite bit of dream tech gets access to huge financial backing and people are crying in their cereals?
gajop wrote:
smoth wrote:I don't want to wear something on my face/head while gaming
Your choice.
^ This.
Evangelion

Post by Evangelion »

FLOZi wrote:So everyone's favourite bit of dream tech gets access to huge financial backing and people are crying in their cereals?
Tell me you didn't shed a tear for the fallen.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/statu ... 0560903169
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Why the hell are those big concern in such a shopping spree now[?]

I guess it must be very exciting playing Farmville and all that other junk
with a Occulus-Rift but I guess it can be used a training-simulator so that the kids know soon how to run up a farm, among other things.

5 minute silence for the fallen ones...
Last edited by knorke on 05 Apr 2014, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: -
gajop

Post by gajop »

FLOZi wrote:So everyone's favourite bit of dream tech gets access to huge financial backing and people are crying in their cereals?
Money's not everything, big companies have access to large sums of it, but how they use it to further "innovate" is what bothers most people. Facebook doesn't really have a good track record with innovation, and that's what worries most people (I was planning on ordering a Rift devkit2 myself, but no way I'm doing that now).
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Karl wrote:I guess it must be very exciting playing Farm-vile and all that other junk
with a Occulus-Rift but I guess it can be used a training-simulator so that the kids know soon how to run up a farm, among other things.
If I try to think positive there is a faint hope that we'll get the Metaverse from Snow Crash instead of FarmVRill.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

In a way its funny. The most valueable thing to them- and they cant grow it inside there billion dollar glashouses. And when they buy it - it dies in there hands.

If you are not able to acccept limits and to leave freedom like google does it, you are condemned to wander the desert, a nomad, travelling from success-oasis, to success oasis. They are how old and look like the microsoft of the social world allready? Someone could build them the first mp3 player equivalent of a vr-set, and they would try to push windows.. ahem facebook on it, cause they cant think outside there cage.

Why wont it socialize?
Evangelion

Post by Evangelion »

PicassoCT wrote:In a way its funny. The most valueable thing to them- and they cant grow it inside there billion dollar glashouses. And when they buy it - it dies in there hands.
The story of EA.
knorke

Post by knorke »

So everyone's favourite bit of dream tech gets access to huge financial backing and people are crying in their cereals?
Oculus seemed somewhat "grass roots", as much that is possible for such a company anyway. Facebook is the opposite of that. Had someone else like google bought it, would have been same disappointment.

Then concerns like "Will require fb account to use", "advertisement in games" , "not open source anymore", "users get tracked" because
Zuckerberg said he could envision people visiting virtual worlds where they can buy goods and are served advertisements.
But all those texts only speak about facebooks use of the rift. From what I've read facebook's plan seem to be 3D chat ,virtual shopping tours, virtual cinema etc. Kind of expanding on their social media bla.
Who cares if "3D shopping superTour at gucci" requires facebook account, as long as the interessting stuff does not?

It is like internet browser, you can chose what to use it for. Some pages might be full of advertisement and data stealing (like facebook's rift portal might be) but that does not hinder enjoyment of other sites. HOPEFULLY. But even if they mess up the software, I think free alternatives would appear soon.

Personally my concern is more about the hardware:
That they get rushed to release something unfinished or that specs get changed to the worse.
For example fb saying "we do not need so exact tracking and fast update rates, for 3D conference chat it is good enough" and then it might be useless for anything else.

Or they want to make the design look more approachable/nicer to reach broader audience but then it sucks. Supposedly happend to the ouya console from kickstarter, too much attention to small stylish case and then it overheated.
smoth

Post by smoth »

PFFFT HA AH HA HA HA!

Sinbad, technically that isn't a gundam it is just an AC guy variant model kit. It doesn't even have the status of mobile suit :P

Precisely, my choice. I think this whole occulus rift thing is just a fad like anything else and doesn't really offer any benefit. Even the latest big budget "realistic" games look pretty fake still. There may be a few games that really utilize it but odds are, a better wii controller would do more to advance gaming. Too many waggle sword fighting games IMO

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”