Why single thread is en of spring for me - Page 4

Why single thread is en of spring for me

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

malric

Re: Why single thread is en of spring for me

Post by malric »

I am using Linux, and I want to compile it from source. Is that possible ?
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

for many games, most of the time only few hundreds of units fill the map, so it's not critical.

i haven't tested it, but if this is true and Zerver's MT is 2-4 times faster than spring 96.0 under extreme load, there should be some effort to be all friendly again and try to merge him/his/her work back into the official Spring.

Sort your differences in some nices games of <something>.

even if only small lua tweaks are necessary to make games compatible with MT, there are probably lots of other hidden little differences in unit behavior, maybe pathfinding...I mean...what's the catch?

Having to take into account different engines is a nuisance game devs would happily live without.
zer_ver

Post by zer_ver »

Does anyone have i7 hexacore? Imma still looking for someone to benchmark.
100Gbps

Post by 100Gbps »

imho engine should be aimed to reach at least 35-40fps@fullhd, everything below that is somewhat sluggish in the eyes of first-person-shooter players

And btw the engine is using too much gpu - most current mobile gpus (for example 7670, 750m, 760m) are loaded 85%+ at endgame
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

100Gbps wrote:imho engine should be aimed to reach at least 35-40fps@fullhd, everything below that is somewhat sluggish in the eyes of first-person-shooter players

And btw the engine is using too much gpu - most current mobile gpus (for example 7670, 750m, 760m) are loaded 85%+ at endgame
You can always reduce your graphical detail level, here are some expensive options, set them to 0 to improve performance:

AllowDeferredModelRendering
AllowDeferredMapRendering
MaxDynamicModelLights
MaxDynamicMapLights
Shadows
Disable LUPS ingame.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

100Gbps wrote:...most current mobile gpus...

http://www.godzillafacepalm.com
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

i recently had a problem with an overheating gpu.

i think by default spring's framerate is uncapped, so it'll grow as much as it can (?).

On my recent pc it grew to 300+ fps on small maps and my gpu is a low-mid range gt 640.

the video sync option in springsettings that comes with spring lobby is either uncapped or forced to 30 fps (which is too low). I had it doubled to 60fps by tweaking an obscure setting which i don't remember at the moment.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

raaar try adaptive vsync in nvidia driver settings.
smoth

Post by smoth »

raaar wrote: try to merge him/his/her work back into the official Spring.
no
raaar wrote:even if only small lua tweaks are necessary to make games compatible with MT,
nooooope they are fairly restrictive! I don't know where you got the idea that it would be a small change
100Gbps

Post by 100Gbps »

Beherith wrote:You can always reduce your graphical detail level, here are some expensive options, set them to 0 to improve performance:
Everything is at its lowest settings. I can always play on my FEA rig, but that's not the point ...
Forboding Angel wrote:http://www.godzillafacepalm.com
Can you write something more constructive than facepalm, ktnx?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Why? You are complaining about performance on a laptop. Those mobile cards are never as good. Spring also is more limited by CPU
knorke

Post by knorke »

raaar wrote:the video sync option in springsettings that comes with spring lobby is either uncapped or forced to 30 fps (which is too low). I had it doubled to 60fps by tweaking an obscure setting which i don't remember at the moment.
http://springrts.com/wiki/Springsettings.cfg#VSync
maybe you have it at =2, try with =1
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

knorke wrote:
raaar wrote:the video sync option in springsettings that comes with spring lobby is either uncapped or forced to 30 fps (which is too low). I had it doubled to 60fps by tweaking an obscure setting which i don't remember at the moment.
http://springrts.com/wiki/Springsettings.cfg#VSync
maybe you have it at =2, try with =1
Vertical synchronization, update render frames in monitor's refresh rate.
<=0: off
1: enabled
x: render with monitor-Hz/x FPS
I don't understand this description. So for instance, if my monitor updates at 60 Hz and I choose x = 2, it will cap fps at 60/2 = 30 ? Can x be fractional? Can I set it at 0.5? What about irrational? Can it be set to π?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't know if we are be smart asses does he really have to answer a figment of his imagination?
100Gbps

Post by 100Gbps »

smoth wrote:Why? You are complaining about performance on a laptop. Those mobile cards are never as good. Spring also is more limited by CPU
In fact those cards are benchmarked with gpu hungry games and you'll be definitely surprised.
smoth

Post by smoth »

What games? All the console ported crap we have had shoveled on us by the industry for around a decade?
knorke

Post by knorke »

Jools wrote:I don't understand this description. So for instance, if my monitor updates at 60 Hz and I choose x = 2, it will cap fps at 60/2 = 30 ? Can x be fractional? Can I set it at 0.5? What about irrational? Can it be set to π?
It says "type: int"
So if your monitor is at 60 Hz, you can only have unlimited fps, or 60fps or 30 fps or 15 fps and so on.
At least that is what the description says. Why it is like that and why one can not for example cap at 45 fps, no idea. Maybe because it makes no sense rendering 45 images per second but screen shows 60 images per second, so some would be have to be double?
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Beherith wrote:raaar try adaptive vsync in nvidia driver settings.
interesting. Now the game shows 60 fps, same my monitor's refresh rate.

(the overheating is due to problems in fan speed control, seems it's either 100% or it doesn't spin).

The point isn't dev vs dev behavior, or if more units = better.

There are people with performance issues in Spring. Maybe some of it is due to us game devs using poor coding and performance-draining effects. The tests they made make it seem something in Zerver's implementation makes it considerably faster, so maybe there are still some engine modification possibilities that can have a big impact on performance. Big like +200%, not +20%.

also, a good selling point for free games with relatively simple models and effects can be running on low end desktops or laptops.
smoth

Post by smoth »

What zerver sacrifices is not worth it IMO
albator

Post by albator »

raar, don't listen so smoth, he almost never plays ba and each time he was asked to post benchmark/replay to prove his statement he never did. his argument are so power full and meaningful:
smoth wrote:no
I think he secretly being sarcastic all the way :p to have fun !

More seriously, I tried what behe suggest and it DID made an improvement.
Also, I overclock my old i5 750 (bclk 133 -> 166) and it did give me about as much improvement as what behe suggest. Hopefully the dev will work on spring-multithread again but right now settings and over-clocking are the only things that can make it go toward the direction what spring-mutithread uses to give

Still spring use to be 50% faster with my 4 yo older gpu (ati 9580) but multithread than now (GTX 560 Ti, and CPU blk +30% ), so gpu definitly does not matter for spring with lower settings.

PS: i play on linux

Return to “Help & Bugs”