Iced Coffee - Page 2

Iced Coffee

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Shadowfury333

Re: Iced Coffee

Post by Shadowfury333 »

v3 is on SpringFiles. It's basically Forb's build, but without features and with specularity on metal patches.
knorke

Post by knorke »

map is nice but tiny mexradius makes it unplayable in all mods that use normal metalspot system. (for example xta,ba)
make mexradius a bit larger and will be pro.
Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 »

v4.2 is on Springfiles. Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, knorke, but the metalspots seem to be fixed for BA/XTA now. I've also added lua for ZK metalspots to avoid them being changed.

In addition, I've toned down the brightness enough that bloom widgets (at least recent ones) shouldn't wash out the map.

UPDATE: v4 was on SpringFiles, but springie seems to have grabbed v3 files by mistake, so I uploaded v4.1 to hopefully fix that, and then v4.2 to fix an error I introduced with the skyreflectmod texture (dds has flipped V coordinate, of course).
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

knorke wrote:map is nice but tiny mexradius makes it unplayable in all mods that use normal metalspot system. (for example xta,ba)
make mexradius a bit larger and will be pro.
As knorke said. The map is real fun for the cursed, but you should not be able to place 4 mexes on a single spot. :wink:
Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Wait, what? I thought the problem was that the mex radius was too small? I'm getting the impression that BA/XTA and The Cursed have very different requirements for metal spots. I know Zero-K and BA/XTA do, but that's been handled with Lua.

I'm assuming The Cursed uses Lua a fair bit, do you have the gadget used in ZK and EvoRTS that interprets a Lua file for metal spots? If so, that file is in here. If not, and The Cursed is not a game where metal spots should have a strict 1-to-1 correspondence with the extractors on them, then that gadget could probably be tweaked to add a radius parameter to each metal spot.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Shadowfury333 wrote:I thought the problem was that the mex radius was too small?
yes, but not the radius in some lua config file used by some mods. Instead in mapinfo.lua the extractorRadius = 32.0, needs to be bigger:
The ring is radius that mex will extract metal from. In above image it is not possible to cover the whole spot with one mex.
extractorRadius must be large enough to easily fit a mex on the spot (with some extra space, to allow for bit freedom while placing)
Also nice if it is large so that later the advanced mexes can be build on same spot, without having to reclaim the t1 mex.
Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Okay, so let me clarify: The metalmap I had for Iced Coffee v3 was okay, I just needed to increase the extractorRadius value in mapinfo.lua? Is that correct? If so, I can pretty easily set that up (and I wish you had clarified sooner, I never play BA/XTA, I pretty much only play ZK and occasionally EvoRTS).
knorke

Post by knorke »

Shadowfury333 wrote:Okay, so let me clarify: The metalmap I had for Iced Coffee v3 was okay, I just needed to increase the extractorRadius value in mapinfo.lua?
Yes.
Sorry, I thought "normal metalspot system" was clear.

You need to adjust maxMetal too, since maxMetal, extractorRadius and some math plus unitDef of mex decide how much metal the mex will actually output.
I tested and found these settings to be good:
maxMetal = 0.4,
extractorRadius = 120.0,
This way a t1 mex does 1,7 in xta/ba.
Could try to tweak to a round number but does not really matter.
zK or other mods with lua defined ignore that values i think.
Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Using the v3 metalmap with your suggested settings allows for a 3x3 on t1 mexes. Is that normal?
knorke

Post by knorke »

not sure what you mean by 3x3, i used iced_coffee_v4_2
Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 »

It allows for 9 metal extractors in a 3x3 arrangement while still getting metal in each.

Oh, wait, I was testing the wrong map. With the correct map it gets 0.7 metal income per spot, but I guess it is flexible about it. Still allows for nearly 9 metal extractors around each spot, though.

Wait again, it looks like only one in the area extracts. Okay, I see what you mean now. Is 0.7 metal per spot normal, too low? should it be 2.0? Does the moho mex increase metal gained that much?
knorke

Post by knorke »

With the correct map it gets 0.7 metal income per spot
you mean 1,7? (see my prev post)
Is 0.7 metal per spot normal, too low? should it be 2.0?
Maps have 1-3 or so, depending on number of spots etc.
For this map ~1,5m/spot would be good, 1,7 is ok, 2.0 would be ok too.
0,7 is bit on low end but ok too.
Does the moho mex increase metal gained that much?
yes. It is tech 2 (zK does not have that) and is expensive to build (needs T2 factory) and uses energy to run.
~10-12 per t2 mex is usual.
Still allows for nearly 9 metal extractors around each spot, though.
you mean it needs 9 mexes to cover one spot?
With extractorRadius = 120.0, it should only need one, i tested it.
If you mean it is possible to build 9 mexes that each overlap onto the spot: Only one will actually produce metal. (see tooltip and how only one mex will actually spin. faster spin=more metal. no spin=no metal)

/edit ah you figured it out, didnt see "Wait again, it looks like only one in the area extracts.", that is how it works.
Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 »

v4.3 on SpringFiles, hopefully that will incorporate the fix properly.
knorke

Post by knorke »

seems so. thanks :)
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Thumbs up! :-)

Return to “Map Releases”