Spring 95.0 released! - Page 4

Spring 95.0 released!

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
abma
Spring Developer

Re: Spring 95.0 released!

Post by abma »

Google_Frog wrote:
@Licho, GoogleFrog:

infolog.txt about the crashes? without a stacktrace it can't be fixed.
http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=4053
without feedback the same...
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

FLOZi wrote:The middle-click scrolling stutter is still here, despite not being introduced until after spring-94.1.1-1367-g598b9ec :( Makes Spring basically unplayable for me.

If it is the same bug then something has changed as I was unaffected previously to spring-94.1.1-1436
Should have realised, the commit that caused crashing in first place was adding deferred rendering...

=> Setting AllowMapDeferredRendering and AllowModelDeferredRendering to 0 fixes scrolling for me. Means it is not the same issue GF was talking about.
rattus

Post by rattus »

Ehm... switching from Spring 94 to 95 is like travelling backwards from Windows 7 to MS-DOS 1.10. Can anyone explain what did go wrong here?
zbr

Post by zbr »

Spring 95 ignores my windowed setting, always launches in fullscreen.
otherwise working fine
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

rattus wrote:Ehm... switching from Spring 94 to 95 is like travelling backwards from Windows 7 to MS-DOS 1.10. Can anyone explain what did go wrong here?
only if you explain why it is a step backwards?
albator

Post by albator »

abma wrote:
rattus wrote:Ehm... switching from Spring 94 to 95 is like travelling backwards from Windows 7 to MS-DOS 1.10. Can anyone explain what did go wrong here?

Must be this This I guess:
klapmongool wrote: I don´t care about the bickering between devs. I do care about spring being able to run properly on modern day hardware. It doesn´t do that anymore. Late game has become shit, with practically all settings on lowest.
abma wrote:Quote:
Is there anyway to enable spring-multithreaded by some option since I can only see spring binary in the static builds ?

atm its just disabled, but its also broken, it doesn't compile.

About this:
He has been banned. How can it fix the problem ? Does that mean the ones who ban him are going to fix the multithread version ?

send pull requests to springs github repository fixing his code. he violates gpl license for springlobby and spring, thats why he was banned. i don't want to discuss this in this thread, there are many threads about this topic in the forum, see viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30162 for example.

I just wanted to point out that is not very fair to blame someone for not being able to fix something while he actually wants to and has been prevented to do so like it has been said here:
zerver (the only maintainer) refused to fix the problems it had.

Now, I agree with klapmogol, we would all apreciate if you could all make up and work together again :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
much love ! :-) :-) :-) :-)

Also, about this:
When looking at the replay on which I just played, I get a different ending. I use larger game speed (and get ~2fps ) while I use to have 25fps with other 94 (spring-multithead). Does that mean I can whatch replay ony with game speed to x1, or is it a know bug ?

you can't run a 95.0 demo with spring 94.0, it will desync, thats why you see different endings.
I am talking about 95 game running with 95 and watching demo with 95.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

I just wanted to point out that is not very fair to blame someone for not being able to fix something while he actually wants to and has been prevented to do so like it has been said here:
thats wrong! he can! he just has to send a pull request to github with fixes / changes. but he didn't. he even didn't respond to any of our critism. he fully ignores that he violates gpl, there is no response at all about it. thats why he was finally banned. atm he is just a troll who steals our time.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

abma wrote:
From the sounds of it he found the system requirements to be greatly reduced, but nothing was rendered and he only saw a text console.
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

zbr wrote:Spring 95 ignores my windowed setting, always launches in fullscreen.
otherwise working fine
I also had this experience, although this only happened when starting from the lobby, not when starting spring manually from the command line. So it might be a lobby issue.

(Note: lobby = springlobby)
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

thesleepless wrote:I also had this experience, although this only happened when starting from the lobby, not when starting spring manually from the command line. So it might be a lobby issue.
yes it is! rename/remove %APPDATA%\Local\springsettings.cfg and it should work.
knorke

Post by knorke »

After a week of XTA, 2 short zK testgames and general loling around 95.0 seems pretty good.
The pathing feels different again and appearently units really like walking into factories now or maybe it was randomly.
No serious problems so far, FPS seem better than 91 or 94, new Luas to play around with, Spring.Restart finally works,...
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I agree and adding to the previous speaker, performance with XTA seems better than in a long while, at least for us who didn't play with MT versions before. We have even raised to unit limit to 1000 and even 2000 units, something that was unthinkable in the previous versions. No idea if anyone actually made that many units, but still it runs better than before.

Most widgets in XTA were already prepared 95 so they were already stable when 95 came out. But some bugs have surfaced. For example, has anyone else experienced the advanced playerslist crashing when somebody leaves and his name therefore becomes nil?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

For example, has anyone else experienced the advanced playerslist crashing when somebody leaves and his name therefore becomes nil?
Nope, I've not seen that happen. Maybe compare your version to the BA one.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Jools wrote:I agree and adding to the previous speaker, performance with XTA seems better than in a long while, at least for us who didn't play with MT versions before. We have even raised to unit limit to 1000 and even 2000 units, something that was unthinkable in the previous versions. No idea if anyone actually made that many units, but still it runs better than before.
I'v experienced a significant slower game when the unit count gets high. I have my settings all set to low and it is slower than in 94.1 MT. I don't even play 8v8 or much FFA. Imagine how those guys feel. But even 5v5/6v6 has become downright annoying later in the game.
zer_ver

Post by zer_ver »

abma wrote:thats wrong! he can! he just has to send a pull request to github with fixes / changes.
Not really. You banned me and then just hours later ripped out large amounts of code essential to MT, and this was accompanied by lots of evil commit comments about me. I am not contributing to any projects unless there is a certain degree of trust, and your actions didn't exactly help!

Now the situation is irreparable I think, but you can still fix SpringLobby and thereby maybe find some kind of way out.

Indeed you need to ban all games that use Total Annihilation content, because that violates the copyright license.
gajop

Post by gajop »

zerver wrote: Indeed you need to ban all games that use Total Annihilation content
It's writing stuff like this that got you banned in the first place. You were an engine dev for a few years, so don't tell me you can't tell the difference between the importance of Spring's GPL and TA's licence here.

The other devs decided MT was not to be pursued, MT branch was removed from Spring. I don't agree with the reasoning behind that decision, which was iirc that there weren't devs to spare on extra branches as if removing it would somehow force you to focus your work (look how it turned out).

However, iirc, the whole MT (complete) removal event and your banning happened in large because you made extremely leading polls ("do you want better performance???" -style) and spread propaganda, which really annoyed some people.
smoth

Post by smoth »

gajop wrote:However, iirc, the whole MT (complete) removal event and your banning happened in large because you made extremely leading polls ("do you want better performance???" -style) and spread propaganda, which really annoyed some people.
I am not sure if this is the reason. but a lot of your actions like this were the reason I lost a lot of respect for you zerver... I didn't appreciate how you tried to force a change on the content devs who DON'T use the ota content and use a MASSIVE amount of lua which would have to be refactored. Before a lot of your underhanded stuff I saw you as a helpful guy and was VERY sad to see this darker side of you. The way you are actively trying to split the community over an ego grudge is horrible.
zer_ver

Post by zer_ver »

smoth wrote:you tried to force a change on the content devs
You are misinformed, for more than a year spring-multithreaded has been "compatible" in the sense that you only have to rewrite lua if you want the added performance.
smoth

Post by smoth »

zer_ver wrote:
smoth wrote:you tried to force a change on the content devs
you only have to rewrite lua if you want the added performance.
... to fit the way your architecture requires and continue to build around that architecture. That is neither here nor there with respect to recent events.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

The lua hurdle could be much less important for a new project - but it's not like closed, gpl-violating sources will attract much of those.

Especially if that's an original IP project. Even more so, if it intends any commercial use.

Return to “News”