[WIP] Charlie in the Hills - Page 5

[WIP] Charlie in the Hills

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: [WIP] Charlie in the Hills

Post by smoth »

it would be a gadget as destroying features is not the realm of a widget. I could add the functionality if you would like but I am not sure if feature nuke then placing new ones will or will not produce issues in MP. Even if I want something to be accessible outside of mp, without fail, people will load stuff in MP and then cry about it being broken :|.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

disable it, and show a warning message if someone tries to use it in MP?
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

I'll see what I can get happening, I'm soon to be unemployed so will have a lot of free time to finalize this map and work on more things.
knorke

Post by knorke »

just use Spring.IsCheatingEnabled
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Very odd, I experienced a problem where autohost claimed my map version is different than its. Klap had the same problem, not sure of the cause.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

REVENGE wrote:Very odd, I experienced a problem where autohost claimed my map version is different than its. Klap had the same problem, not sure of the cause.
Why is it being used, its a wip
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

enetheru wrote:
REVENGE wrote:Very odd, I experienced a problem where autohost claimed my map version is different than its. Klap had the same problem, not sure of the cause.
Why is it being used, its a wip
Dono, [x]TheHost has it. About 8 / 10 players synced fine, but I did not.

By the way, you've changed Charlie's smile such that ships are no longer buildable, is that intentional? It changes the strategy set considerably.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

REVENGE wrote:By the way, you've changed Charlie's smile such that ships are no longer buildable, is that intentional? It changes the strategy set considerably.
It's not intentional, well I guess if its being used I'm happy to have bug reports like this.

I'll fix the depth of the 'smile' for you, anything else while I am at it?
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

enetheru wrote:
REVENGE wrote:By the way, you've changed Charlie's smile such that ships are no longer buildable, is that intentional? It changes the strategy set considerably.
It's not intentional, well I guess if its being used I'm happy to have bug reports like this.

I'll fix the depth of the 'smile' for you, anything else while I am at it?
That's it for now, I haven't had a chance to play a game on it since there is the sync problem. It's a beautiful map! Charlie is now a mountain-to-the-sea resort, the little structures are cute. I did see a small performance hit when I was all the way zoomed out, but I don't think it's a big issue.
ralphie

Post by ralphie »

Interesting!

Are you planning on finishing it at any point? :P
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

ralphie wrote:Interesting!

Are you planning on finishing it at any point? :P
Absolutely..
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... ls-v3-beta

I'm over working on this map so I cleaned up the archive, fixed a few things and am looking for final showstoppers.

There are a bunch of things I didn't get around to doing.. but its time to purge the feature list to get it out the door.

Please report problems, opinions, etc.. if its easy i will fix it.

If I don't hear anything back, I will just update the springfiles page to remove the beta word.

cheers.
qray

Post by qray »

Just downloaded the latest update...

Very beautiful! :-)

IMHO, metal spots could be a bit turned down (I would go for 2-2.5, 3 is prob too much already for the amount available), but that's a matter of opinion and taste. Extractor radius could probably be higher for easier placement.

I love the details like the huts and the little Buddha. Since I had a very close look on this detail: there is some gras on the stone below the Buddha, is this intentional?

Anyway, I love this update of the original charlie map.
The white sand and the palm trees give a nice tropical touch which fits surprisingly well with the hills around. Holiday in Spring 8)
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

qray wrote:Just downloaded the latest update...

Very beautiful! :-)

IMHO, metal spots could be a bit turned down (I would go for 2-2.5, 3 is prob too much already for the amount available), but that's a matter of opinion and taste. Extractor radius could probably be higher for easier placement.

I love the details like the huts and the little Buddha. Since I had a very close look on this detail: there is some gras on the stone below the Buddha, is this intentional?

Anyway, I love this update of the original charlie map.
The white sand and the palm trees give a nice tropical touch which fits surprisingly well with the hills around. Holiday in Spring 8)
all very good points, i cant believe i forgot the tune down the metal. its been said enough times.. all of these will be fixed before final.
knorke

Post by knorke »

1) Of the "corner plateaus", bottom right one is the only one not reachable by vehicles because it is steeper. (tested with ba & xta construction vehicle)

2) The big mountain on the left can be crossed by bots.
It takes some time to find a path but is possible. It could be of stragetic value to climb over the mountain but at the same time is very a unfun thing to do because it is almost unpathable. Do not force players to do unfun things ;) (It might be fun if you make it into a speedrun competition)

3) M/E value of features, same as here: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 21#p546296
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

knorke wrote:1) Of the "corner plateaus", bottom right one is the only one not reachable by vehicles because it is steeper. (tested with ba & xta construction vehicle)
None are supposed to be reachable by vehicles. I will have to tune the height map.. so glad that my materials are procedural..
knorke wrote:2) The big mountain on the left can be crossed by bots.
It takes some time to find a path but is possible. It could be of stragetic value to climb over the mountain but at the same time is very a unfun thing to do because it is almost unpathable. Do not force players to do unfun things ;) (It might be fun if you make it into a speedrun competition)
another height issue, will be fixed.
knorke wrote:3) M/E value of features, same as here: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 21#p546296
what do you consider useless? ive tried to make the features have low resources but not useless. at least for the ones I have control over.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Uploading RC1,

same URL.
fixes:
* vehicles can no longer get to raised sections.
* water should be deep enough for boats in all sections. shit.. one of the puddles cant have boats built in it.. will fix it now but this RC wont have the fix.
* metal spots are tuned to output 2.0 roughly.
* fixed some detail tex mapping like the base of the buddha, buildings and the geovents

Any show stoppers from a gamer's perspective?
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

stupid upload failing..

fixed the pond issue now.. will upload again.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

I finally had a look ingame - it's really beautiful! Add some birds in the sky and some fish in the lakes, maybe a fisher boat - and I know where my next vacation will be :)
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

dansan wrote:I finally had a look ingame - it's really beautiful! Add some birds in the sky and some fish in the lakes, maybe a fisher boat - and I know where my next vacation will be :)

Finally done..
http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/charlie-hills

Return to “Map Creation”