Two King of the Hill maps

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

qray

Post by qray »

Hi,

although they both look rather basic compared to the beautiful maps others present here, I wanted to announce two King of the Hill maps to maybe get feedback and bug reports.

Links to maps springfiles.com:

Simple 6 Way

Cage Fight

My main focus was on the King of the Hill game option (on/off-able in the map options, default: off) and to have suitable maps to play it. The look had lower priority (also my skills did affect this decision :wink: ).
Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy them. So far, I didn't detect any major flaws during game play... but who knows (Cage Fight hasn't been tested in real game plays yet).
King of the hill option has been tested only on BA, since I don't play any of the other mods. Maybe works with some others, too.

In comparison to other maps, resources (metal/wind) are quite high on both maps since I prefer it this way in KotH games. But the map options offer the possibility to turn it down if wanted (factor 0.75 and 0.5).

Of course, the artwork and scripts are open for anybody to use them for his/her own maps. If anybody wants to work with them as a basis, you can contact me. I am happy to provide the original files (texture, height, metal maps) if needed.

Details and King of the Hill mode are described on the corresponding springfiles pages. Also credits and licences are listed there. If I missed somebody or something, please tell me so I can correct it.

Last but not least: I want to thank everybody who wrote guides, tips and how-tos here and in the wiki and thanks to all who provided resources and help :-)

CU qray.

EDIT: Updated screenshot of Cage Fight
Attachments
cf_12koth_001.jpg
Screenshot of Cage Fight map
(96.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Simple6WaySmall.jpg
Screenshot of Simple 6 Way map
(42.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by qray on 22 Mar 2016, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Two King of the Hill maps

Post by CarRepairer »

I like the first one because it's an island and with infinite bumpwater there is immersion when playing the game.

Not so with the second one. The four pieces of land in the corners have hard corners where they hit the border, losing immersion. Those could have just been small islands instead.
qray

Post by qray »

CarRepairer wrote:The four pieces of land in the corners have hard corners where they hit the border, losing immersion. Those could have just been small islands instead.
Good point, especially since they are not game relevant. I'll keep it in mind for coming updates.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

The first one looks nice, but is too derivative of Delta siege island 8-way for me to consider it an original. The second one looks completely unrealistic, and not fun to play on.

Also your first map is a plateau and the other one a, neither is a hill.
Petah

Post by Petah »

Cheesecan wrote:Also your first map is a plateau and the other one a, neither is a hill.
King of the hill is a game mode, not a reflection on the terrain itself.

Should we call it "King of the assigned area of terrain" instead?
qray

Post by qray »

@Petah: thanks for clarifying :-)
Cheesecan wrote:The first one looks nice, but is too derivative of Delta siege island 8-way for me to consider it an original.
...and surprinsingly enough it even says so in the credits :mrgreen:
The main idea was to have a map in this style for KotH with 3 or 6 players. Delta siege island has an eightfold symmentry which leads then to unbalanced start positions. And there are really not many maps with 3(6) fold symmetry...
IMHO, KotH gets more dynamic and fun if played with 3 teams: leads always to 2 against 1 situations which usually result in faster changes in the hill zone. But that's just my preference...
Cheesecan wrote:The second one looks completely unrealistic, and not fun to play on.
Yeah, I know, it looks basic. But actually the design idea comes from game play considerations:
The idea here was to have bases which are not easy to defend; so no help from terrain -> flat surface.
The walls are flat, to allow all-terrain bots (or units which are transported there by aircraft) to move freely and fast on them, so attacs from the hills in the back of opponents base become a viable tactic.
If this works out has to be tested.
Overall, it looks a bit boring, I agree. But I couldn't think of a much better way to archive these two goals. Regarding map making, I am still in the beginner zone...
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Regarding map making, I am still in the beginner zone...
Don't worry about this, you've made a functioning map and that's further than most people get :) Making nice maps takes a long time to learn, I really recommend the combination of Spring Map Edit and World Machine, but WM is not free and you'll need the pro version.
qray

Post by qray »

Just had a look:
Unfortunately, WM is rather expensive to get it just for fun (and only windows is supported) :(

Are there any other, cheap options which also run under linux?
please don't say Blender since I tried already 3 times to master it but seem to lack the time to learn using its GUI :wink:

Edit: searched the web and found geomorph and picogen. I'll have alook at them. Of course, still open for other options.
Petah

Post by Petah »

qray wrote:Just had a look:
Unfortunately, WM is rather expensive to get it just for fun (and only windows is supported) :(
And its totally unethical to pirate it and run it under WINE so don't even bother thinking about doing that.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

qray wrote:Are there any other, cheap options which also run under linux?
please don't say Blender since I tried already 3 times to master it but seem to lack the time to learn using its GUI :wink:
I would be happy to help in this regard if you want.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

CarRepairer wrote:I like the first one because it's an island and with infinite bumpwater there is immersion when playing the game.

Not so with the second one. The four pieces of land in the corners have hard corners where they hit the border, losing immersion. Those could have just been small islands instead.
Spring 95 makes this completely irrelevant.
qray

Post by qray »

@ Petah: I don't want to judge if it's unethical or not, that's everyones own decision. I either buy software or use free alternatives; works well enough for me since over 15 years. (If it runs well on wine is another question, but there a virtual machine with Win7 could help)

@enetheru: thanks, that's a very kind offer! :-)
But it's really a matter of time. So far I tried every now and then Blender beginner tutorials and the results didn't look very much like they should have and I stopped again :mrgreen:
But anyway, I plan to try it again some day ... so if you know a good starting point for noobs, I would be happy to hear about it.
Is Blender a good tool for map making? (I know it can do nearly everything, but I dont want to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut)
Silentwings wrote:... I really recommend the combination of Spring Map Edit and World Machine
Which do you use for what? Or both for the same tasks at different stages?
Forboding Angel wrote:Spring 95 makes this completely irrelevant.
How so? Will the maps automatically have this cut out border design shown in the developers forum?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

qray wrote:
How so? Will the maps automatically have this cut out border design shown in the developers forum?
They will indeed, and yes, I believe that is what Forb is referring to.
smoth

Post by smoth »

qray if you would like I can run it through WM for you. or maybe forb can do l3dt. Which ever you want man.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Petah wrote:
Cheesecan wrote:Also your first map is a plateau and the other one a, neither is a hill.
King of the hill is a game mode, not a reflection on the terrain itself.

Should we call it "King of the assigned area of terrain" instead?
That was supposed to say valley. Don't know where that word vanished.

Never heard of this mode before, but then I don't play ZK. Sounds correct if it is literally like the children's game.

I noticed that qray used blueprint now. Good to see forb's hard work getting accepted by some new mappers.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Looked at the simple 6way map.
Think the fact that it is a 6 player map while DSD Island is a 8 player map justifies its existence.

extractorRadius = 10,
That is smaller than the mex itself, annoying to place those.
Use 100 or so.

Check mapoptions for being nil when starting via spring.exe menu, atm no commanders spawn because kothsomething is nil.
koth.lua wrote:if(UnitDefs[uD].name == 'armcom' or UnitDefs[uD].name == 'corcom') then
Will only work with BA

Imo condense the mapoptions. Just have "Hill Time in Minutes (0 to disable)"
For the others like metal production just pick some good values.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Cheesecan wrote:I noticed that qray used blueprint now. Good to see forb's hard work getting accepted by some new mappers.
blueprint is jK (and maybe a tad of Smoth). Not forb's!
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

zwzsg wrote:
Cheesecan wrote:I noticed that qray used blueprint now. Good to see forb's hard work getting accepted by some new mappers.
blueprint is jK (and maybe a tad of Smoth). Not forb's!
Really? OK that settles it I'm just downright oblivious. :-)

I think Forb deserves some credit in spreading it at least.
knorke wrote:Looked at the simple 6way map.
Think the fact that it is a 6 player map while DSD Island is a 8 player map justifies its existence.
Sure, I don't question it's legitimacy to exist. It's a very nice start! Looks very nice against that ocean.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Cheese, please don't act as though I was non-existant in the process of tracking all that stuff down and working it out only to have everyone else credited :( I worked hard to see my options code spread out and did a great deal to promote jk's work when it supplanted my own.
Last edited by smoth on 06 Sep 2013, 21:39, edited 2 times in total.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

FLOZi wrote:
qray wrote:
They will indeed, and yes, I believe that is what Forb is referring to.
Is this referring to the 3D effect that makes the map look like a block instead of a square? If so, I couldn't disagree more. A floating block in space is no more immersive than a floating square in space.

Or is there some other new effect that I haven't seen?

Return to “Map Releases”