SpringLS 0.37 (TASServer renamed) - Page 3

SpringLS 0.37 (TASServer renamed)

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

abma
Spring Developer

Re: SpringLS 0.37 (TASServer renamed)

Post by abma »

dansan wrote:I got a PM from Aegis, that "Password reset features" (that must be RECOVERACCOUNT and CHANGEEMAIL?) aren't actually implemented. Are there plans to do that? Is the backend move a preliminary work for it?
imo its not done because the backend uses a plain text-file to store usernames / passwords. it should be first switched to *sql and then the fields can be easily added. yes, its a preliminary work.

(added to the todo: https://github.com/spring/uberserver/issues/8 )
gajop

Post by gajop »

Although I'm sure you realize, just storing it in SQL isn't enough, and neither is MD5 nor SHA salt. Try to use something as good as bcrypt, it's usually not hard to do.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Hey,

For a game idea I have in mind, I'm probably going to need my own type of lobbyserver. But I wanted to see an example of an existing one first to see if I had to program from scratch or not.

Well I just downloaded the sources and got them compiled in my eclipse. Except the fact that @Override is used on tons of methods with no fitting interface or inherrited parent method, but I can get around that.

Most of the code is pretty straight forward, although I never worked with OSGI in my life before, I think I would get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Now for what I'm trying to achieve. I like to make a collectable "warhammer esque" game in a persistant type of hex based map. Think shattered galaxy with a twist. After some research I believe that creating the lua for the game is going to be a breeze. Especially that I allready made that kind of gametype around last year. Some of you might remember.

I have a prove of concept running with spring MVC about how to construct squads from a collection. I made a REST service for that and a web client and it's all working. Now I need a new prove of concept.

I need a lobbyserver that is able to host battles, and when a battle is won or lost give the players a "currency". I also need it to keep track of a hexmap and be able to start battles on a specific hex, and when certain factions win a game, change faction on that hex. I believe the most though part is allready written in SpringLS when I skim the sourcecode. There are some parts I don't understand yet though.

Where is the link to SpringRTS ? What takes care of actually starting the game engine , keeping track of a battle, keeping track of disconnects etc ? Is this handled serverside ? Or is it that founder type of user that keeps track of that and a seperate lobby client ? If this is handled client side I believe I'm in a lot of trouble cause client side can be manipulated and open the door to massive cheating :(

Any insight would be appreciated, from what I gather the magic happens in all the commandimpl's

oh btw : your hibernate is massivly outdated and seperation of layers is not really adhered I believe, Personally I would put the entitymanager in a seperate abstractrepository class and pro entity type I would create a repository. But thats just my personal programming preference
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I need a lobbyserver that is able to host battles
Lobby server doesn't host battles, it mediates them. Games are hosted by participant machines. Game setup is done by the host machine via "start script".

What you are looking for is called an "autohost" (or "dedicated server" in other terms).
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i agree that it is likely that you don't need to thinker with the lobby server. ZK also has a meta game like you want it, and it uses the a lobby server without modification (actually the same server instance like other games).

where did you get the sources from/which version are you using?
it is long ago i worked on it last time, but you are right of course, many things are not clean; stuff like how entity manager is handled and so on. this stuff is not clean, because there is still other, much less clean stuff waiting to to be cleaned, like global singletons and so on. ;-)
the code should compile though. without trying anything or looking at the code or so, i would say, the most likely problem is an incompatibility between.. i think it is java 5 and 6, where @Override can be used in different locations. an other likely problem could be, that some part is a different version.. are there separate maven projects already? maybe you need to

Code: Select all

mvn install
some first.
no other idea right now, without further info.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

I believe I got the latest version from github. The @override is indeed a Java 5 and 6 issue, from java 6 on you either need an interface or parent object that has the method you put the @override on. In general it usually is best to create an interface for any service. This so you can make it easier on yourself to write Unit tests.

I'm indeed getting the impression I won't have to tinker with the server code at all and find another sollution for my problem. Now don't take me wrong my remarks on the entitymanager wheren't really critique but more a friendly suggestion to keep the layers clean and seperated. It's a proffesional defect of myself to notice those things. I've been programming java for over the better of 10 years now.

Personally I don't even use the entitymanager I use the sessionfactory and spawn sessions from there, and my transaction management is handled by Spring (the framework not SpringRTS)

I put the compiler plugin to 1.6 and that fixed most of the stuff allready so the code compiles fine now.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

ahh perfect! :-)
glad to hear that. and rest assured, that i never was angry cause of what you suggested. i am also a very long time java dev, though i did not use the newer stuff a lot in practise yet. i often start from bottom and go up, as in: i fix NPEs and stuff that FindBugs and co. find first, then i add interfaces, then i add OSGi, ...
and much more inbetween of course, but usually after adding the OSGi stuff to the code, i get stuck, because the higher level stuff seems all to be made for huge web applications, or other huge frameworks running on a server, and just dont have an easy, elegant and low overhead clena alternative for small client applications. for example, i don;t want people to have to run/depend on... JBoss, spring framework, and 10 plugins of these and whatnot, just for SpringLS.
so usually i create a quick hack for that (like a shell script that downloads the OSGi dependencies manually, and packs them in a zip file, in the worst case), and decide to make that part nicer once i fixed the lower level stuff. ;-)

i would say, the code is already much cleaner (there are interfaces now! ;-) ) then when i took over from betalord, but still i have to say, he did a very good job! especially with the in-code documentation, which is really excellent (the parts he did ;-) ).

good luck! :-)

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”