SpringLS 0.37 (TASServer renamed) - Page 2

SpringLS 0.37 (TASServer renamed)

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Cheesecan

Re: SpringLS 0.37 (TASServer renamed)

Post by Cheesecan »

I noticed you're currently only leveraging the services layer of OSGi. All modules are in one bundle so runtime updates of modules is not (yet) possible. However if this is not intended as a replacement for ueberserver, but only as a hobby server, then you don't really need support for adding new commands at runtime. Disregarding that, how do you plan to proceed with bundles?
knorke

Post by knorke »

I am again too stupid to run a local lobby server.
http://pastebin.com/wnbe1btv

According to this:
http://www.java.com/de/download/install ... =jre&try=1
I have "Java Version 6 Update 30" (which is also for download, so newest I think)

Since it says something about "Unable to start UDP server on port 8201. Ignoring ...
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: Cannot bind" I thought maybe it is the windows firewall, so I turned that off but no difference.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i think this error message is pretty trustworthy, as it comes from the java networking core stuff, not SpringLS code in particular. so when it sais address is already in use, the problem is most likely is exactly that, that there is already a service running on that address on that port. the most likely reason for that, is that you alreayd have a lobby server instance running. maybe you double-clicked the jar, and it is running, but only visible in taskmanager or so.
.. can't really give more input there, but at worst you might have to reastart the OS, to be sure nothing is running like just described, and then try again to start from a console.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@knorke:

are you on linux or windows? on linux use
sudo netstat -tanp |grep 8200

to identify the process thats listening on port 8200, on windows use a tool like tcpview....
knorke

Post by knorke »

thanks, it works now after restart.

To get back on this:
hoijui wrote:I remember that windows users had/have a problem with the lobby server, as it has no GUI, and when they double-click it under windows, it starts, but ... actually i don't know what happens. does it open a console to show output?
Doubleclicking the .jar makes shows a hourglass for a seconde, then nothing more visible happens. (in taskmanager it only shows javaw.exe)
Run from console you can see some output.
But for players it is hard to know if it is actually working even from that, so maybe add something like "server is running. you can now connect to blabla port:xy"
iirc old TAServer also showed connecting players in console, which was helpful to know it was working.
---
Does the server no longer send "PING" (and expect "PONG" from client)?
Axiomatic

Post by Axiomatic »

knorke wrote: Does the server no longer send "PING" (and expect "PONG" from client)?
The server doesn't ever send "PING". Clients send "PING" and the server responds with "PONG".
(according to the protocol: http://springrts.com/dl/tasclient/Proto ... iption.xml)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

@knorke
i read that javaw.exe does not start a console window, while java.exe does, and i guess javaw.exe is used under windows when double-clicking.
so please try creating a .bat file with this content:

Code: Select all

java -jar springls-0.37-stand-alone.jar
and see if it works with that.
There are other ways to do that, but they are much more complicated (using 3rd party tools to create wrapper executables that look for the JVM and ...). if this bat is good enough, i might just create a zip file for windows that contains the jar and the bat in the future.

@Cheesecan
yes, OSGi as it is used so far in SpringLS is totally useless. i jsut went down a long boring path (along which i learnt OSGi), to arrive where it is now. where it is now, it is not too much work anymore, to get somewhere where OSGi coolness would actually start to kick in, and get practically usefull for us (online/at-runtime module addition, removal, updating).
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

whats with TASServer.jar in the spring installer?

remove it? update it to current SpringLS.jar?

as springls-0.37-stand-alone-full.jar is ~11MB i would like to remove it...
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

TASServer.jar is still ok for now. the LAN only version of SpringLS would be enough, but that one is still ~5.6MB, and i agree it is too much for the installer, considering it will be used by few.
i would like most if it was an optional download in hte installer menu, but that is agasint the rules we set ourselfs, so also not an option.
is there some other way you can think of, to have it more easily available to those that might need it, except downloading it separately (when it gets removed).
aegis

Post by aegis »

completely standalone windows exe of uberserver (doesn't depend on python) after upx is ~2.5MB for the simple version, ~2.9MB for full version (adds SQLalchemy)

should this be added to download page or windows installer? would be easier for people on windows to get started if they don't have java.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i would say, add it to Download page for sure.
if i remember right, TASServer.jar is ~200KB.
i would preffer if both new servers were available as optional downloads in installer.
but as this is no option (i forgot why exactly but i remember there was a not too bad reason), we should decide hwther to replace TASServer.jar with ueberserver.exe or removing it without replacement.
TASServer.jar could still stay as long as it works with commonly used lobby clients. user needs java for that to work, not for ueberserver, but i consider that less important then keeping installer size low.
should engine devs vote about that? (anyway only relevant till (mayor) lobby protocol version increase)
aegis

Post by aegis »

the protocol is pretty stable, and compatflags bridge the gap rather well. maybe we'd increase the version if we deprecated commands? I'm not seeing many reasons to break backwards compat atm.
TASServer.jar is ~200KB
what makes the springls download 5.6MB and still require Java? newer dependencies?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yes that, it is all dependencies.
knorke

Post by knorke »

hoijui wrote:if this bat is good enough, i might just create a zip file for windows that contains the jar and the bat in the future
but then you did not! :shock:
someone in chat just had same problems: how to start it, "port in use" error by accidently starting it multiple times etc.

name it something like start_server_on_win.bat and you and can use same download for all OS.

Code: Select all

java -jar springls-0.37-stand-alone.jar
pause
with a pause like this the console window will not instantly close, so player can read the errors. Like when java is not installed.

Maybe add this too, didnt test it, just googled:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6383 ... -installed
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

I'm confused... is SpringLS the lobby server currently running on 94.23.170.70:8200, or is it another software? The TASSERVER command sends "TASServer 0.35".

What I really want to know is, when will the lobby protocol version 0.38 be activated? I want to use RECOVERACCOUNT, CHANGEEMAIL, GETINGAMETIME, so actually I need just 0.37.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

the official/main lobby server (which i think, is lobby.springrts.com:8200 == 94.23.170.70:8200) is running aegis phyton lobby server, since many years already.
koshi let me run a test version of SpringLS on his server, under springlobby.info:8200. it should still be running.

history lesson (from my perspective):
- BetaLord developped TASServer (java)
- BetaLord left
- a few bug fixes were done by random people to TASServer
- aegis wrote a lobby server in python, and started testing it
- hoijui took over development of TASServer
- hoijui requested to run test versions of latest TASServer on offical server (different port) -> never happened, cause tobi was too busy (for a whole year)
- aegis server is used as main lobby server
- lobby protocol fights began
- hoijui left
- nobody (in charge of anything) cares much about the official protocol doc anymore. aegis has his own protocol doc, which is basically the code of his server
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Hmm... this protocol doc is [not] valid? : http://springrts.com/dl/LobbyProtocol/P ... ption.html

Aegis seems to log into forum, but not read PMs. Anyone can contact him?
Does he maintain the current PythonLobbyServer (what's its name?), or not?
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

SpringLS is still running on my box, yes.

Last somewhat discussed/agreed protocol is here: https://github.com/spring/LobbyProtocol no idea if the local copy here is updated.

If anyone it's abma maintaining uberserver: https://github.com/spring/uberserver/commits/master
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

koshi wrote:If anyone it's abma maintaining uberserver: https://github.com/spring/uberserver/commits/master
hmm, i try at least. but the lack of time makes this hard. I wanted to bump the migrating to switch over to a *sql backend, because aegis got stuck in doing it. Current migrating script seems to work, but i didn't do a "final test" and switch to it. also the git repository on springrts.com and github/aegis/uberserver diverged, this is why i created a new repository using the newest running version on springrts.com.

http://springrts.com/dl/LobbyProtocol/P ... ption.html should be up to date, it is created daily from current git repository.

only migrating "blocker" is https://github.com/spring/uberserver/issues/2 which should be very easy to fix.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

I got a PM from Aegis, that "Password reset features" (that must be RECOVERACCOUNT and CHANGEEMAIL?) aren't actually implemented. Are there plans to do that? Is the backend move a preliminary work for it?
(I don't want to push (more) work on you, just want to know if it's on your short-/middle-term agenda, or not.)

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”