TinySkirmish Redux 1.1

TinySkirmish Redux 1.1

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

The Yak

TinySkirmish Redux 1.1

Post by The Yak »

New version of 4x4 TinySkirmish, mainly for the purpose for fixing completely borked minimap and trying out new world machine version.

Changes from original include working minimap, new texture with SSMF, balanced heightmap, less elevation, features, slightly less metal.

Still some things to do, vehicle pathing is shitty in a few places, also very much considering turning it into 4x6 and stretching middle out vertically.

-Features from 0ad
-Some textures by nobiax.deviantart.com

Map by The_Yak
Original TinySkirmish by (Unknown? Let me know if you made it)

Download Here: http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... mish-redux
Last edited by The Yak on 22 Aug 2013, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
knorke

Re: TinySkirmish Redux 1

Post by knorke »

Looks good!

But one thing:
Too many maps have features with silly superlow resource values like 0.1 energy.
It is actually possible to make features that are not reclaimable, if that is the intent:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Units-Feature ... _Resources
Annoying if constructors with area reclaim or fight command take detours to nomnom worthless things. :wink:
For "almost worthless" features autoReclaimable=false is good.

You made a blender script to store feature positions in that red-pixel-feature-bitmap?
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

If you used blueprint, you could also play this map inverted and with other lighting conditions (via the included lua scripts for map options). It also supports feature placement via text file. I'm advocating it here - but it's not a huge leap, just a small step.
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

Actually windows mapconv supports features from a text file as well, I just copy/paste the relevant section of featureplacer set.lua. It is a little more backwards because it requires recompile but it doesn't require anything else to be included with the map.

Plus recompile with this map was like... seconds. It was nice to work on.

The feature values will be fixed next release, I just forgot to set them. Spring features can have some strange values by default.
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

Version 1.1 up, fixed energy values with trees
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

The Yak wrote:The feature values will be fixed next release, I just forgot to set them. Spring features can have some strange values by default.
I was going to mention that. If anyone ever re-releases spring-features for any reason; I think the default values could be changed to something a little more practical.

Anyway, sorry for the slight derail. I've always liked this map for testing, since it's simple and loads quickly. Now I can adding good looking to that list too. Nice work :-)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Funkencool wrote:
The Yak wrote:The feature values will be fixed next release, I just forgot to set them. Spring features can have some strange values by default.
I was going to mention that. If anyone ever re-releases spring-features for any reason; I think the default values could be changed to something a little more practical.

Anyway, sorry for the slight derail. I've always liked this map for testing, since it's simple and loads quickly. Now I can adding good looking to that list too. Nice work :-)
You can depend on the rapid versions of spring-features. Moreover, if you want to change the values, just include the featuredefs in your map and change them to whatever you want.
The Yak wrote:Actually windows mapconv supports features from a text file as well, I just copy/paste the relevant section of featureplacer set.lua.
Yeah no, this isn't' even in the same ballpark, much less the same league as blueprint. Those locations are hardcoded into the map. That is complete fail.
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

How are hardcoded features a bad thing? They work fine, look the same in game.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Yeah, 'hardcoded' features are good imo.
Cheesecan

Re: TinySkirmish Redux 1.1

Post by Cheesecan »

That is really beside the point because you should use blueprint anyway. It adds several map options like the ones I mentioned "for free", and may have more in the future.

Defining things like features, map info and metal in lua allows other content developers access through the lua environment. Say for instance some game would like to replace the geo feature with something completely different, that is possible with blueprint.

To be honest I think you and others are just too set in your ways to try something new..
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

I'll gladly use blueprint if I need a feature that it offers, however I have no interest in any of things you mention it can do. The map would play shitty inverted, I don't see a point in setting up different lighting conditions as the lighting is fine already, the LUA gadgets and effects are of no use to me most of the time (except for precipitation which I have used, but couldn't figure out how to get the blueprint version to work).

It is to a certain degree just already being set in my ways. I just copy/pasted the atmosphere from this map from Calamity, and that one I combined from a couple of other .smd maps. Why reinvent the wheel if I already have a nice one?

I have tried porting my .smd atmosphere settings to mapinfo.lua but even if the options are the same it still looks quite different. Possibly just my lack of experience with it, if I was to make a new atmosphere from the ground up I would likely do it with lua.

Also, Zero-K doesn't support mapoptions. I don't know if any other games do this as well but it makes a lot of blueprints benefits useless with the game.

I would not want to use any dependency in my maps as it makes the map incompatible with lobbys that don't use rapid. Until everyone stops using Springlobby that is (which I would be totally fine with). It also doesn't make sense to me to force the download of an extra 56mb file when the features I use take up less then 0.5mb zipped.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I'm wholly in favour of doing whichever you like best, since you make really pretty maps - but Springlobby is compatible with both rapid and springfiles; afaik that makes it compatible with all springs dl-systems?

Springlobby doesn't recognize lua'ed metal spots and suchlike though.
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

It was to my knowledge that Springlobby is incapable of downloading dependencies. I've asked for maps with Springfeatures to be featured with ZK before and they were turned down for that reason.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Oh, I think you are right that it doesn't try to download dependencies. Since storage is cheap and maps dl fast these days, I prefer features just put inside of maps as well.

Return to “Map Releases”