Need some help guys.

Need some help guys.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

MR.D

Need some help guys.

Post by MR.D »

Is anyone here good at organics or heads/helmets?

A friend of mine wants me to model a drawing that he did, but I can't for the life of me do it worth a crap, its totally out of my style and skillset for making artwork.

Doesn't have to be a hollow helmet, so a sealed sphere is just fine, and doesn't need a crazy ammount of details, just a little rounded at the facemask part.

Anyone want to give it a shot?

Looking for around 1200-2200 polies. or as close to that as possible.
Attachments
1.jpg
(37.58 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
smoth

Re: Need some help guys.

Post by smoth »

OOooo that looks like fun but no time and I will be gone for a week :*(
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

I made you a quick block-out to get you started.

Pro tips:

Use Character-sheets.
Which is my word for, getting a side view and front view (and maybe topdown view) in your 3d work environment to trace the outline with shapes (in different viewpoints).

Start With Block-out.
Block out is a term sometimes used for sketching your model only using blocks or simple shapes, and only focus on size, volume, and relative distance and size to other blocks. Try it some time without adding more detail, until you have a reliable blockout. (in general: try to cut huge impossible problems into smaller manageable problems)

Make (a lot of) variants/copies
You can work on a work of art and improve it, but you can also mess it up. I feel this haze of uncertainty when I paint on a real life canvas.
But note: In the digital world you can make a copy before a big step might mess it up. It allows me to be a more confident and thus faster modeller.
Attachments
MrDshead_v02.txt
File is renamed a .wings file (pm me if you want, but can't use this)
(22.79 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Yeah, thats not bad at all.

I was running into trouble alot with the facemask and where it overlayed and how the nose and mouth and eyes would line up.

Tried using a modeled head and just building the helmet and mask around that 3d head, but proportions and alignment of those parts were killing me.

Return to “Art & Modelling”