[Release] Imperial Winter - build 57

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

for new releases check the official forum: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=46

Artoo says that the chances of survival are 725 to 1. Actually Artoo has been known to make mistakes... from time to time... Oh dear...

What this is

It's the closed beta fixed up for modern Spring. You can see which units are included in the beta here: http://www.imperialwinter.com/?sec=progress (note the imperial symbol).

What this isn't

This is not a complete IW in all it's glory, such a thing does not exist. I do have access to the next tranche of units, but they are in a worse state than the beta units. Imperial walkers (excluding AT-AT) are in good shape, but there's very little to counter balance them on the rebels side, so for now they are absent. This does not include some units shown in the art preview such as Imperial Orbital Uplink, Rebel Air Con Droid etc. for which I have nothing at all.

Why now?

Several times the community has pitched in to bring IW back up to playable standards with new engine releases, and no release. I had the free time, and I decided, more on a whim than anything, that I should do this now. In fact it is only 7 months late.

What about Zsinj / other SWIW team members?

Haven't been in contact with him. Gnome has known every step of the way. If Zsinj really was bothered he'd have done something about it himself by now, enough excuses. Certain other members objected to releasing the svn publicly as they didn't want their artwork modified by the community and used for other means. Releasing doesn't change the license, you knew what you were contributing to.

Why not open up a public repo?

For now I'll at least respect the wishes of those people who didn't want to do this (though it is possible via the game archive of course). If anyone able wants to contribute I will gladly give them the current login details. This does not rule out a switch to an open repo in future.

How to get it?

Available via rapid tag; swiw:stable for b57 and swiw:test as bugs get squished.

Alternatively available as an archive here: http://packages.springrts.com/builds/swiw-b57.sdz

Alternatively join Autohost Tibanna and your let your lobby do the hard work.

Also available are two maps by Beherith based around the landscape of Tatooine:

Xelric Draw
A 16x8, 1v1 land map.

Desert Plateaus
A 10x10 2v2 map, with a lot of raiding options for infantry.

I've got a problem here...
Don't blame me. I'm an interpreter. I'm not supposed to know a power socket from a computer terminal.

Can any and all bug reports please be posted individually to this separate thread, thanks!

Who to thank?

First and foremost the SWIW team;

Gnome
Warlord Zsinj
Maelstrom
SecurE
Guessmyname
DrZais

SWIW Contributors;
Argh
aGorm
Nemo
Wolfy
Vassago
MR. D
Dreadus
Hawkman
Runecrafter
zwzsg

Updaters over the many attempts;
abma
TheFatController
GoogleFrog
gajop
FLOZi

Last minute testing team;
pintle
iiDutchMikey
Rdizz
TheRadish
wuhsaa

Apologies to anyone I missed out!
Last edited by abma on 10 Jun 2014, 01:04, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: add forum link for updates
FLOZi

Re: [Release] Imperial Winter - build 56

Post by FLOZi »

IW Curse Strikes Back!

[quote][00:30:45] <abma_irc> in short, the svn repo on swiw is weird
[00:30:53] <abma_irc> it starts at revision 2
[00:30:58] <abma_irc> this is why the output is broken
[00:31:02] <abma_irc> not sure how to fix, will take a bit[/quote]

So there's no point trying to get it yet, sorry folks!

Build 57 is up and fixed, go go go! 8)
scifi

Post by scifi »

let us know when its up and ready, so we can test drive this baby!
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

new release / fixed file: http://packages.springrts.com/builds/swiw-b57.sdz

many thanks for the contributors making this release possible!
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Long-held 'rivalry' between S44 and IW teams aside, it gladdens me to see this finally stagger - grumbling and moaning, perhaps - into the daylight. No, it isn't quite the IW that everyone (most especially Zsinj) had been hoping for. Maybe it won't ever be, and that's ok. Even by Spring's rather extreme standards (how many 5+ year game devs?), IW is a game with exceptional doses of talent and time poured into it. It is immediately apparent when you get ingame for the first time.

Zsinj had the benefit of a bunch of great and skilled testers: it plays like a treat, and the IW team was well ahead of its time in terms of crafting an immersive and polished experience. Yeah, IW doesn't look astonishing when compared to modern evo/cursed/ZK: these days Spring is lucky enough to have a solid group of nice looking, cohesive games... but IW was looking this good four (four!) years ago.

I strongly encourage people to check it out. It would be awesome if enough players got into it that we could scratch together some dev talent and get support to keep IW maintained.
FireStorm_

Re: [Release] Imperial Winter - build 57

Post by FireStorm_ »

Yay! You're a master-Frankenstein :-) ! Spring's Duke lives! (I think the Pro tip I'll personally be taking away from IW is: Release/start small, grow big.) Anyway, I checked it out right away.

That droid patrolling the barracks grounds, never noticed that before. Wish I had thought of something like that (and now I have :-) )

Got little time, but lots more to see and play with. Gonna check it out some more later. to those involved: Nice work!
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Reinstalling spring just for this, Im really happy you made it work!
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

there is no (server) autohost up :(
Last edited by BaNa on 30 Jul 2013, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

BaNa wrote:there is no (server) autohost up :(
Licho and KingRaptor are in the process of doing it, will be called Tibanna.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

we played with a relay autohost, its still fucking awesome!!!

Thanks guize!

still the best looking and sounding game in spring :)
malric

Post by malric »

It is great to see a release in good shape after all this time!! If needs to improve a few things, but I am sure now it can happen in shorter time...
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Hey,

Gnome sent me a message.

I've got no real problem with this, good on you Flozi. I've always had a pang of guilt and regret that I never got this out. Have no problem making this an official release on website, etc etc. I'm happy to help out as I can, I think I have most of my files backed up somewhere or other.

I'm at work at the moment and in general don't have a heap of time in my life in general to spare (hey I started a business www.markowitzdesign.com ).

Lynx is very protective of licenses for his work so would be helpful to get his ok for this as well.

If you need to get in touch with me, best way is amarkowitz [at] gmail [dot] com

Cheers guys, have fun, it was a shitload of hardwork from a lot of people
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Hey,

Gnome sent me a message.

I've got no real problem with this, good on you Flozi. I've always had a pang of guilt and regret that I never got this out. Have no problem making this an official release on website, etc etc. I'm happy to help out as I can, I think I have most of my files backed up somewhere or other.

I'm at work at the moment and in general don't have a heap of time in my life in general to spare (hey I started a business http://www.markowitzdesign.com ).

Lynx is very protective of licenses for his work so would be helpful to get his ok for this as well.

If you need to get in touch with me, best way is amarkowitz [at] gmail [dot] com

Cheers guys, have fun, it was a shitload of hardwork from a lot of people
2 resurrections in one week, beat that jesus. 8)

First and foremost would be to get all missing unit files into the walker pack svn repo.

edit: Including heavy tracker laser... has some piddly little pop gun atm.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

that design work is awesome zsinj! I really like the chair.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

AutoHost is now up - Tibanna. Hosts swiw:stable.
malric

Post by malric »

Would it be an idea to allow posts on Star Wars: Imperial Winter sub-forum?

At imperialwinter.com, users are sent here (http://forums.imperialwinter.com/index.php?topic=352.0) while here (http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=18520) users are sent there.

At least I would say that the thread sending users there should be "un-stickied"...
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

malric wrote:Would it be an idea to allow posts on Star Wars: Imperial Winter sub-forum?

At imperialwinter.com, users are sent here (http://forums.imperialwinter.com/index.php?topic=352.0) while here (http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=18520) users are sent there.

At least I would say that the thread sending users there should be "un-stickied"...
Unstickied. Requires an admin to change reply-only.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Ok, I'll see if I can dig up the old files. I've had a couple of harddrive meltdowns since then, but hopefully it's all somewhere. Mainly I only had latest model and texture files, I think Gnomre and the SVN had pretty much everything else.

Don't forget to release that tattooine map also, ideally with the permission of the original map maker, though I believe he was pretty keen to see it released.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Zsinj, he posted the maps in the OP. Learn to read, etc etc :P

Yeah, my intent with the forums is to just keep everyone here. I was hoping FLOZi and abma would be able to get a hold of someone to unlock the forum here. I really don't want to bother with administrating the IW forum right now but I'd happily promote someone if it came down to it. I just don't see the point in requiring everyone to register again there.

I guess I'll work on getting stuff sorted out and uploaded for you guys. I'm not looking forward to that at all, but it has to be done. I don't know if I ever received the last of Lynx's stuff (I might have the AT-AT skin but I'm not sure). I guess we'll have to bug him too. I did send him a message to this thread to let him know.

Return to “Game Releases”