[WIP] Charlie in the Hills - Page 3

[WIP] Charlie in the Hills

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

The Yak

Re: [WIP] Charlie in the Hills

Post by The Yak »

I've gotten away with using the same detail texture for sand and dirt before, but you have 4 available to you so why not make use of them all?

If you need a good one you can steal my sand detailtex from Calamity, Sapphire, or Onyx. They all use the same one.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

It is extremely worthwhile to use all 4 slots when doing the detail textures. Sand especially.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

You need additional feature?

Also remember the mirror map- you could have mirroring ricepaddys..
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

PicassoCT wrote:You need additional feature?
I'll take whatever you got, if it fits i will use it.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

PicassoCT wrote:Also remember the mirror map- you could have mirroring ricepaddys..

wait.. mirror map?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

In ssmf you can specify mapparts that mirror the sky.. so suddenly half decent shallow water is possible..
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

picasso is referring to this: http://springrts.com/wiki/Mapdev:skyreflectmod

Hey... that could actually look really cool on one of my crystal maps.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

ALRIGHT... time to render.. I've estimated 48 hours of render time.. I have a corei5 with Intel graphics..

If someone out there would like to render it for me, using their beastly rig with some Nvidia cuda capable number cruncher I would be interested in how fast the difference is.

Beware its 250 meg or so for the source files.. pretty sure all the textures are in that folder structure.. but its possible not all of them are.

The file you want is diffuse.blend
the dropbox folder is https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hreis9fdcv9qbir/PWDWL9KI88
:mrgreen:
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

sampan
Attachments
comunityservice.7z
Somesampan
(200.36 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

PicassoCT wrote:sampan
thanks man.. will check it out soon..

I'm contemplating making a typemap. since there are good visual indicators for well traveled paths vs grass vs sand. i was thinking of giving a very subtle loss to kbox speed over sand, and very subtle boost to vehicles over roads. but i thought i had better ask before doing so. i know people have opinions on this subject.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

and here's a minimap so you know what i mean
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

This is going to be a beauty
smoth

Post by smoth »

the fields are the only part I dislike, too artificial looking
scifi

Post by scifi »

smoth wrote:the fields are the only part I dislike, too artificial looking
yeah, either improve them or id say remove them, cause the map looks awesome without them.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

18MB diffuse https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmje3xhrcmha0je/diffuse.jpg

map source files 237mb https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hreis9fdcv9qbir/PWDWL9KI88

The farms are kind of hard to remove now, because my randomly generated features rely on them, the path generation relies on them. and ive done a lot of post processing on the masks generated from those two things. but i may have to redo that anyway, so perhaps i can.. but i would rather suggestions on how to make them look nicer.. I'm already going to be covering them with spring's grass nice and tall.

The Brown dots you see are where tree trunks go.

This isnt its final form, i still need to tesselate the ground once more to remove the angular texture transitions you can see.

The roads i am least happy with, I wrote a program to walk over and over the map in 2d and make them. its nifty but i lack the skill to make it more powerful. ideally i would like to have twin tracks for the heavy paths and singular tracks for the little ones.. ive tried a lot of things and cannot get anything existing to work..i will perhaps continue to work on my path solver in the future. its hosted on github if anyone wants to look at it. https://github.com/enetheru/path-generator

the metal spots are somehow offset from their dirt, will have to adjust

I have a bunch more features to add, i have a hut, a couple of features from PicassoCT, and more buildings ramshackle buildings scattered over the map.
I also have a Buddha i would like to put somewhere in the mountains for a laugh.

I have to paint the building ground.. brick ones will have the outline of foundations with rubble after they have been destroyed. i would like to have multi stage features for that but really CBF. also the building surrounds need to appear used.

%^$# i need to go in and use feature placer to remove overlapping features.. cant have a boulder and a tree on the same spot.. it looks stupid.. i guess i will be regenerating the plant masks after all.

Its got roughly 10000 features already, I could go for another 5000 i think i have some birch trees i want to use. and i think i need some bushes.

Now I have a problem.. i cant compile the map since my OS is too new and the ubuntu packages aren't up to scratch.

Also.. i only have intel graphics.. my older computer with the nvidia card died so i cant test texture splatting anymore. and the newer one is a half sized case that cant fit the card. I'll sort something out eventually but in the meantime nothing gets done.

slowly crawling to the finish line. i cant wait to upload it to spring files..
smoth

Post by smoth »

mainly I think it is the dark borders around them, they way they are so dar and uniformly colored.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Figured out a way around the rediculous mapconv issue
I will create a bootable usb that has the tool on it.

Seriously mapconv should be distributed with the spring engine. its an essential tool.

actually i'm just going to use a virtual machine.. its faster to setup and less hassle..
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Seriously mapconv should be distributed with the spring engine. its an essential tool.
I fully endorse this message.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

finally compiled the map from within a virtual machine.. a couple of hours messing around because guest additions wouldnt install..

anyway... its fucking gorgeous.. even without ssmf.. got to work now bye
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

oh, thats fine, dont mind me sitting here, drooling on my keyboard- i can wait..

Return to “Map Creation”