Random WIP 2013+ - Page 12

Random WIP 2013+

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

FireStorm_

Re: Random WIP 2013+

Post by FireStorm_ »

Texture loading fixed (I think), and I agree with with you about the feet, Smoth. I'll take a look at it when I can open my eyes again (It's getting a bit late.) :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

texture is fixed
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I wish you would do proper skinning instead of atlasing
smoth

Post by smoth »

rattle wrote:I wish you would do proper skinning instead of atlasing
What is improper about the way they are doing it?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Mostly cylindrical shapes look a little meh and not each and every quad has to be isolated with a little work on the atlas IMO. I do think atlasing gives you the bonus of a coherent style accross multiple models in very little time but this is overdone I think, I mean this isn't OTA anymore.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

rattle wrote:Mostly cylindrical shapes look a little meh and not each and every quad has to be isolated with a little work on the atlas IMO. I do think atlasing gives you the bonus of a coherent style accross multiple models in very little time but this is overdone I think, I mean this isn't OTA anymore.
Somehow, I don't think almost 400 draws for separate materials is a very good idea. Almost 400 separate diffuse, normal, and specular maps with a few emissive maps? Something tells me that won't end well!

The reason its overdone is because its the only way to do it with this scale. Unless you're keen on having an extra 10 gigs or so of textures that all have to be drawn in engine and called upon every single time a new unit type is created. Which, you don't. You really really really don't want that.

Let's not forget the enormous and ridiculous amount of time it would take to model, wrap, and texture almost 400 models. I mean its already pretty daunting as is.

Yeah, that's pretty much the worst idea I've ever heard. But, hey, this isn't OTA anymore.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

I don't think I have a large ice cube to freeze the air for a while...

smoth

Post by smoth »

I liked your large tanks and the handsome explosions!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Your message contains too few characters.
Attachments
Carrier.jpg
(650.56 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
hovermode.jpg
(149.8 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
ReefDrone.jpg
(134.71 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by PicassoCT on 21 Jul 2013, 15:46, edited 2 times in total.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

"not every unit should use the same atlas" != "every unit should have a custom texture"

not that i care much for looks, but with 400 units, it would generally make more sense to have a few subgroups that share same style and atlas, then for all to share the same. that is, for realism, for being less boring and more diverse, while still not really hurting performance.
"units" of one "faction" in real life come from many different companies, often from different countries, from different mentalities, from (combined) millions of different engineers, created in different times, using different technologies, having different criteria for their shapes and used materials, ...
even different parts of units could feature different styles, for example, the nuke silo and the nuke, or a tank and its cannon.
... am just artist teasing by now ;-)
i agree with rattle that it would not hurt to have more then one atlas, but i can imagine it generally makes things easier this way, and faster to create, which is important!
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

smoth wrote:I liked your large tanks and the handsome explosions!
thank you for those kind words,

I also have planned to add a few another faction which one of them is more alien themed and uses walker as main units for ground, but idk, I feel a bit clueless how to do model it atm (heh I don't even got their HQ modelled yet which I need to do soon somehow)

tonks of panzer elite
scifi

Post by scifi »

hoijui wrote:"not every unit should use the same atlas" != "every unit should have a custom texture"

not that i care much for looks, but with 400 units, it would generally make more sense to have a few subgroups that share same style and atlas, then for all to share the same. that is, for realism, for being less boring and more diverse, while still not really hurting performance.
"units" of one "faction" in real life come from many different companies, often from different countries, from different mentalities, from (combined) millions of different engineers, created in different times, using different technologies, having different criteria for their shapes and used materials, ...
even different parts of units could feature different styles, for example, the nuke silo and the nuke, or a tank and its cannon.
... am just artist teasing by now ;-)
i agree with rattle that it would not hurt to have more then one atlas, but i can imagine it generally makes things easier this way, and faster to create, which is important!
It wouldnt hurt, but it still looks badass as it is. Lets let them finish atlasing then worry about retexturing one or another unit.

I recall that worked quite well in CA, and sometimes the style and quality wasnt 100% of the times that good as we see in most BAR models.

karl: good job keep them coming.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Arm T1 air by FireStorm

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Gorgeous!

Here's something I whipped up so I can have a dev-build of spring pinned to my taskbar alongside regular and tell which is which :regret: Inspired by Opera Next
Attachments
SpringBetaIcon.png
SpringBetaIcon.png (10.35 KiB) Viewed 6635 times
rattle
Damned Developer

Re: AW: Random WIP 2013+

Post by rattle »

Opera next any good?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

A nightmare to move settings between it and regular, avoid.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Everything textured- except turrets
Attachments
CarrierArrived.jpg
(256.69 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
wip.jpg
(168.98 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Looks freaking sweet picasso.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

comes with chocolate flavor, man I want to take a bite
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

Beherit > Looks cool ! I'm glad to see that some of my stuff is used. Is this a game project or something ? It's been ages since the last time I read this forum :(

Return to “Art & Modelling”