BA 7.78 Released! - Page 4

BA 7.78 Released!

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

smoth

Re: BA 7.78 Released!

Post by smoth »

Start a new thread list your favorite sea maps talk about the good aspects and bad. Hell give them a review, each on on economy, layout, and visuals. Then invite others to post theres.

do something beyond posting about how woeful things are. SOMETHING WILL BE DONE.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Smoth to the rescue on his unicorn!
scifi

Post by scifi »

smoth wrote:Start a new thread list your favorite sea maps talk about the good aspects and bad. Hell give them a review, each on on economy, layout, and visuals. Then invite others to post theres.

do something beyond posting about how woeful things are. SOMETHING WILL BE DONE.
yeah well, i guess your rigth but then again i cant stop thinking how just maps is going to solve sea by itself.
smoth

Post by smoth »

scifi wrote:yeah well, i guess your rigth but then again i cant stop thinking how just maps is going to solve sea by itself.
Because without sea maps people don't play sea? When people play more sea, more sea bugs can be found and squish making sea better.

because doing.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Thinking about what would actually make a good sea map could be interesting, I could split it out if needed.

I like some sea maps alot, like Kappa Basin Wet, Malibu Beach (mine :p), Porcy Islands (play 1v1 and just ignore the islands...) & Dead Reef.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

smoth wrote:
Johannes wrote:As described in that post (or rather, the opposite was) - a start on an island or coast with several mexes within reach. And instead of simple open sea, have islands, straits, etc., mexes right on the coastline, and so on. Sands of War and Flooded Valley for examples.
It be a GIAAAAAANT ROBOT with LOTS OF GUNS! IT'll HAVE TO HAVE LIKE COOL EYES ETC..

not going to really help me out. If you want something specific(which is really what you want) you are going to have to give me specific details. Because otherwise I will be altering the same map >9001 times essentially allowing you to proxy map through me. I am willing to do that, if you want to pay my billable rate but not for free.

*edit* alternatively, if you want to go and get something like world machine and you just need a bit of help establishing your texture macro I can help for free :P
It's a generic description because there's still tons of room for different kinds of sea maps, that are good. Avoiding the common pitfalls is all it takes to beat most existing ones.

But here's one example I threw together quickly, an example of... a diverse sea map, don't expect anyone to use it but everyone's free to do so and modify it as they please.
Black is deep sea, dark grey shallow passable by both ships and ground units, light grey is solid ground, and white marks coastlines that hovers cannot pass. Red is mex naturally, 16x16 north vs south. Starts for up to 5 people per side or 6 if you wanna push it.
Also now I notice there's an island missing in the top right but you can easily imagine it there.
But you should expect hovers, ships, ground units, amphibs, all in use across a wide front.

And two balance changes come to mind that'd help every kind of water map as far as I see: make t1 amphib tanks less horrible (LOS exceeding llt range for starters), and make the scout boat aa missile less overpowering. Also pelicans could use a hand too I guess.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

main·tain (mn-tn)
tr.v. main·tained, main·tain·ing, main·tains
1. To keep up or carry on; continue: maintain good relations.
2. To keep in an existing state; preserve or retain: maintain one's composure.
3. To keep in a condition of good repair or efficiency: maintain two cars.
a. To provide for; support: maintain a family.
b. To keep in existence; sustain: enough food to maintain life.
5. To defend or hold against criticism or attack: maintained his stand on taxes.
6. To declare to be true; affirm: maintained her innocence.
7. To adhere or conform to; keep: maintain a busy schedule.
Now, the game has several things broken. Example:
Core Torpedo Bomber
Guns on almost every unit

These things don't get fixed, i.e., you are not doing your job as maintainer. All the focus gets put on development, i.e. you are trying to make a new game. If you want to do this, make a fork and call it whatever you like. Don't ruin BA. Thanks.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Cheesecan wrote: These things don't get fixed, i.e., you are not doing your job as maintainer. All the focus gets put on development, i.e. you are trying to make a new game. If you want to do this, make a fork and call it whatever you like. Don't ruin BA. Thanks.
Not your call to make. Not your decision as to whether or not they are "RUINING" BA. I have heard for years SO AND SO was ruining BA/AA. Sooo damn tired it, so what if they made a goof. why not be constructive and help them resolve the goof? just post the bug and trust them to fix it.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

smoth wrote:
Cheesecan wrote: These things don't get fixed, i.e., you are not doing your job as maintainer. All the focus gets put on development, i.e. you are trying to make a new game. If you want to do this, make a fork and call it whatever you like. Don't ruin BA. Thanks.
Not your call to make. Not your decision as to whether or not they are "RUINING" BA. I have heard for years SO AND SO was ruining BA/AA. Sooo damn tired it, so what if they made a goof. why not be constructive and help them resolve the goof? just post the bug and trust them to fix it.
My decision? More like my opinion. Yes, they are ruining BA and making it into something different.

I pointed out exactly what they messing up and how to fix it - rollback all changes. Several long-time players in the lobby agreed with me.

So now I am trying to point out that maintaining is not the same as developing. Seems like he wants to do something new, but the sea revamp is too big. What next, land revamp? So I suggest to make another game so the rest of us can enjoy ours in peace, not have to worry about wacky changes every version that ruin game balance.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Silentwings wrote:
cheescan wrote:And here I thought BA Maintainer meant...
It's the title of the usergroup of moderators of the BA forum. The sea changes are not anyones personal vision, least of all mine. As I said, multiple contributed and even more were asked. You were not asked, for what I can now safetly describe as obvious reasons.
you were already answered. Stop repeating the same thing over and over like it some how makes you correct.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Winds don't chain anymore. Not mentioned in changelog? Either way it sucks. Please make them chain again.
Floris

Post by Floris »

actually it makes more sense they dont chain... they are just some skinny turbines after all...

But if you need to tweak the balance change it evoked, sure, go ahead
smoth

Post by smoth »

All the more reason for a stray piece ofetal causing them to fail.
scifi

Post by scifi »

klapmongool wrote:Winds don't chain anymore. Not mentioned in changelog? Either way it sucks. Please make them chain again.
yeah its kind of a feature.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

scifi wrote:yeah its kind of a feature.
+1. A penalty to those who don't use build spacing correctly.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

This thread might be interesting/relevant: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/4290
smoth

Post by smoth »

" a wide foot print" but you could make their build footprint large and swap out on build for something more narrow.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Winds don't chain anymore. Not mentioned in changelog? Either way it sucks. Please make them chain again.
Will do. (Didn't appear on a BA changelog because no change to BA was made!)
knorke

Post by knorke »

Is a destroyed windmill supposed to completly kill his neighours? (Like exploding metalmakers do)
In 7.78 a destroyed windwmill damages neighour (no spacing) to ~80% health..depending on where debris flies. Like in 7.76
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

@knorke: A single windmill dying shouldn't set off a chain reaction, but if they are densely packed and a few of them die together then it should. (I haven't tested this yet to see if it actually did change, but if there has been a change then it will be a result of changing engine rather than mod version.)

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”