MT 94-20131104

MT 94-20131104

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

zerver
Spring Developer

MT 94-20131104

Post by zerver »

The new version 94-20131104 MT-ASIM MT-APATH GML has the following characteristics:

Sim speed gains:
#cores ( 1 )....( 2 )....( 3 )....( 4 )
BA::::: 25%..125%..150%..250%
ZK::::: 20%....60%...80%...120%

Render FPS gains:
For dual cores and up with games supporting ASIM. I won't give any figures because it varies too much depending on the current Sim CPU load.

Benchmarked vs Spring 94.1.1-826-g7f6f61d using the SPAM demos.
Last edited by zerver on 30 Dec 2013, 23:08, edited 6 times in total.
gajop

Re: gpl violation 94-20130711 has been released

Post by gajop »

Where is the source code?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I beg of you, install WordPress, Drupal, PHPBB even, just dont use frame and table based html layouts for your site... Think of the children!?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Does it still only get to run BA? Or is it somehow capable of using LuaRules/LuaUI/LUPS/LUS/Lua-anything without desync?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Is pathfinding also better? I hate when units get stuck and start vibrating.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

The fork of BA for this engine is in no way supported or endorsed by us.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

@Jools: That isn't so much a pathfinding bug as it is a bug in the collision and push/slide behaviour. I noticed what's actually going on is those units end up "sliding" back and forth on the terrain or when they bump. I disabled the collision/slide code and everything just worked and framerates went through the roof (except of course that units pass though each other like in Starcraft).
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

It's not only a problem when units move in groups, that works quite well actually, and you can further customise the movement with customformations2 and many waypoints.

No, the real problem is when you send sole constructors to build mexxes, they will get stuck on areas close to a hill and start vibrating, and consequently never finish the task. There's no notification either as in OTA, which was annoying, but at least fillled a function:
Construction vehicle: I cannot get there
Add also that sound that sounds like a mental patient :)
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Jools wrote:No, the real problem is when you send sole constructors to build mexxes, they will get stuck on areas close to a hill and start vibrating, and consequently never finish the task.
What you just described is the "sliding" I was talking about. It happens on hills where the unit is constantly slipping back down the slope so it never reaches its next waypoint. It isn't only collisions but the two events are related. The pathfinder knows where to go so "pathfinding" technically isn't the issue; the issue is that the unit simply can't move (or more accurately it can't do anything EXCEPT move, or slide in place). The problem is in the move code, not the path code, and a million path threads won't solve that.
Last edited by SpliFF on 16 Jul 2013, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yeah, but it sounds as catch 22: the pathfinder doesnt really know where the unit can go, since it gets stuck. If it knew where the unit can move, then it wouldn't get stuck.

Anýway, this discussion is not so relevant here, only slightly because of the mention of the path issue in the engine. Som mod may maybe want to move this thing?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Nah, I am staying with spring. If I left spring it would be for unity or ogre.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Best of luck with development of your new engine, but seriously, try not to burn all your bridges with the old community. :<
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

gajop wrote:Where is the source code?
Seriously... if this is a derivative (which it is) it's gotta make it's modifications available.

This isn't hard feelings (I don't have any, you seem to be doing good work and a fork gives you a chance to prove it), it's just how open source works.
smoth

Post by smoth »

no, that is how the SPRING LICENSE works sinbad. Which is why danil got a knock on his virtual door from the spring devs a while back.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

smoth wrote:no, that is how the SPRING LICENSE works sinbad. Which is why danil got a knock on his virtual door from the spring devs a while back.
Thanks... clearly you have the right of it.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

zerver wrote:Unfortunately, due to what appears to be a current ban on hosting gpl violation on the Spring lobby server you may have to connect your lobby to <gpl violation link> to try it in multiplayer mode.
The drama reaches new levels! I think this is quite a hostile act.
Last edited by abma on 28 Oct 2013, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rtsmp link
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I'm sad to say it, but this release is against the engine's licence as well as long standing community rules for content distribution (not to mention BAs own branding policy).

I don't want to see mods popularity used divisively.

@zerver: If you ever reach a point where your project is accepted by Spring's moderators/devs, then we can think about small 'fixes' for compatibility, if there are any, as long as they don't cause other problems.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

1) I got "* You can play on all Spring 94 servers even if your lobby starts gpl violation.exe *" message under Linux. There are no .exe under linux.

2)

Code: Select all

spring94:  ./gpl violation                
./gpl violation: error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I installed glew and libGlew 1.9.0 and still have that error (fedora 19, nvidia).

3) Linux package has not gpl violation_lobby? Linux springlobby has not gpl violation server in dropdown. I know that I can edit config file manually to add it. But this is weak part of springlobby I guess :-) Springlobby has not ability to add server manually?

4) I like <gpl violation> website. Is it possible to add RSS? I would like to subscribe on news/changes.

I can be your linux tester if you want. Just skype me :-) lipatov_alexander
Last edited by abma on 28 Oct 2013, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

varikonniemi wrote:
zerver wrote:Unfortunately, due to what appears to be a current ban on hosting gpl violation on the Spring lobby server you may have to connect your lobby to <gpl violation link> to try it in multiplayer mode.
The drama reaches new levels! I think this is quite a hostile act.
how so? Why should they stop everything and develop support for another engine that has recently come out? Why should they support spring in the lobby and not GLEST? I mean if the spring lobby is to just go and support ALL open source projects in the lobby? I think it is fairly reasonable to hesitate on add support for another engine and an OBVIOUSLY COMPETING ENGINE? So how was this hostile? it is their lobby? why should the accept all the work of maintaining his server?

You didn't see him start a thread politely requesting the add support. The entirety of his statement that you posted has him in question because all we see is a person who came in with flying accusations and nothing to back them up. I don't think zerver would do that. There may have been a more private conversation but to accuse the engine devs of hostility? I am sorry but that isn't right, you have no evidence to that and honestly are out of line because you only have zerver's statement.

*Edit*
To be absolutely clear, this isn't saying zerver is in the wrong for saying that. He may have good reason to not post the logs. I am just saying I think vari is jumping to a wild conclusion.
Last edited by abma on 28 Oct 2013, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

zerver wrote: Unfortunately, due to what appears to be a current ban on hosting gpl violation on the Spring lobby server you may have to connect your lobby to <...> try it in multiplayer mode. This is a new lobby server, so although it may be more or less empty, now is your chance to register a cool user name.
gpl violation violates the gpl license (no source code available) this is why it is banned. also you are still violating BA's rules about forks. TA also didn't give the ok to reuse its name.

also, see http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30528

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”