Core Pyro DPS ?

Core Pyro DPS ?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

liotier

Core Pyro DPS ?

Post by liotier »

This spec sheet for the Core Pyro shows 12 Damage at 10.91 DPS. Compared to other units, it seems awfully low, especially for the price and even compared to my hazy memories of TA. Since the Core Pyro uses a flamethrower, I am guessing that this 10.91 DPS does not tell the whole story... Is there another parameter (firestarter ? burst ?) I should take into account to get a number comparable to other units DPS ?
nixtux
TechA Developer

Re: Core Pyro DPS ?

Post by nixtux »

that stats page is missing something in its calculations

damage * burst / reloadtime = dps , (12*22)/1.10 = 240
smoth

Post by smoth »

nix, better make sure it doesn't have any special damage settings due to armor types.
albator

Post by albator »

pyro has awsome 1k dmg selfD and selfD time of 1sec, com killer
knorke

Post by knorke »

special damage vs armor classes are on that website too. but unlike other mods it is not really relevant in ba.

Did not check but think it might be cause of burstrate=0.0099999997764826
That is less than one frame and makes the weapon basically fire continously instead of every 1.1 seconds (like one would expect from reloadtime)
Unless there are other funny effects that would be
12 damage / (1/30s) = 360 dps
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

albator wrote:pyro has awsome 1k dmg selfD and selfD time of 1sec, com killer
How often does that happen when you wouldn't have killed the comm anyway because you overran the enemy defense/base?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

In general, avoid that page because is relates to a years old version of BA. And as nix points out, it also contains mistakes.
liotier

Post by liotier »

Thanks everyone for the replies - I guess they underline the usual wisdom of playing rather than analyzing the stats...
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Silentwings wrote:In general, avoid that page because is relates to a years old version of BA. And as nix points out, it also contains mistakes.
Well, most stats are still same, and the mistakes are only in the dps calculations that you wouldn't get at all by just looking through the .lua files.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

'mostly' correct, but ofc it depends what data you're trying to see. To get something useful out of it you'll often have to combine multiple numbers and then errors propogate.

(Reading the lua unitdefs is better but even that won't give a complete picture because they are sometimes modified/replaced by other parts of lua. Iirc that's the reason why Trademark's system can't be updated easily to read current versions.)
liotier

Post by liotier »

Silentwings wrote:(Reading the lua unitdefs is better but even that won't give a complete picture because they are sometimes modified/replaced by other parts of lua. Iirc that's the reason why Trademark's system can't be updated easily to read current versions.)
I was going to post a question about the scripts that generated those pages from the unit definitions... You read my mind.

Maybe the exceptions could just be highlighted - not as good as the perfect calculation but better than silent errors.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Lioter, I can give you the script that generated those pages, it is ugly spaghetti python though.

I wanted to rerun the script for each release but minor bugs in it and the all the work on BAR has aggroed my Spring time.
liotier

Post by liotier »

Beherith wrote:Lioter, I can give you the script that generated those pages, it is ugly spaghetti python though.
Since I'm quite interested in having up to date unit spec sheets, I might be a good candidate for taking a look at that code - though my primitive Bash and Perl scripting abilities, my non-existent Python knowledge and HTML skills that are a decade out of date might be limiting factors. But for starters I'll gladly test it and start trying to identify the special cases by grepping lua code for the unit's name... With forum help it can't be that hard (famous last words).

I'm not short of fancy ideas though - sortable tables of key numbers, aggregate indicators of unit power, unit shopping cart to build comparison tables with highlight of best numbers... For the specifications-obsessed player the sky is the limit ! Budgetary restrictions may apply.

Now if my five daughters could let me play from time-to-time... The elder is ten years old and I'm luring her towards the RTS world, secretly hoping to grow my own opponents at home !

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”