Atari sells TA's intellectual property - Page 2

Atari sells TA's intellectual property

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Atari sells TA's intellectual property

Post by PicassoCT »

Comunitys should be illegal
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

AF wrote:Technically we as a community have undermined the value of TA somewhat by providing an outlet for those wanting a remake to play, making TA2 no longer a requirement
Dunno, unless TA2 was crap I'd expect almost everybody here to buy it. Besides, it'd be a modern game, not one made in '97 ('96?).
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I still dont get the buisness practice.. its like buying thousands of bottles of vine and then storing them far longer then exparation dates- in desperate hope that one of those bottles will make enough money to bring back the other fail investments..

It just doesent sound like something that would get pass a responsible ceo.. more like a nostalgia collectors wet dream disguised as ip-hording
smoth

Post by smoth »

KDR_11k wrote:
AF wrote:Technically we as a community have undermined the value of TA somewhat by providing an outlet for those wanting a remake to play, making TA2 no longer a requirement
Dunno, unless TA2 was crap I'd expect almost everybody here to buy it. Besides, it'd be a modern game, not one made in '97 ('96?).
I would definitely.
ralphie

Post by ralphie »

EA bought it to make a 3rd person cover based shooter.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

First covered based shooting were the disintegrator can get rid of all the covers.. TA keeps innovating even after all this years.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

I also thought like that, in the past, but I now disagree and believe that, if anything, it's been keeping the TA legacy alive.

I am very eager to see PA come to fruition and will very likely buy it, unless it proves to be very very bad.

The SpringRTS community has some severe problems that it just can't "fix":
- the lack of polishment of the engine/games;
- and the lack of "critical mass" in the community (*).

* most of the time spent with "playing" SpringRTS is hanging around the lobby waiting for yet another 4v4 game to start (because you won't even try to get a 1v1).
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

PauloMorfeo wrote: * most of the time spent with "playing" SpringRTS is hanging around the lobby waiting for yet another 4v4 game to start (because you won't even try to get a 1v1).
Why? Getting a 1v1 is quite faster than bigger games.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

That's not the experience I have.

I must say that I haven't played for many(?) years but all the time I played, except for the first (few?) year(s) it was really hard to get 1v1s going. And even though I haven't been playing, my perception is that currently getting 1v1s going is still difficult. I see the 1v1 lobbies «always» with just one guy, usually AFK out of boredom waiting. I haven't yet managed to spectate a 1v1, for example...
scifi

Post by scifi »

PauloMorfeo wrote:That's not the experience I have.

I must say that I haven't played for many(?) years but all the time I played, except for the first (few?) year(s) it was really hard to get 1v1s going. And even though I haven't been playing, my perception is that currently getting 1v1s going is still difficult. I see the 1v1 lobbies «always» with just one guy, usually AFK out of boredom waiting. I haven't yet managed to spectate a 1v1, for example...
Well after you get to know a few lobby roamers like yourself, youll get more 1v1s at a given time.
pintle

Post by pintle »

I agree with Paulada. Spring 1v1 scene completely crumbled away. Yes you can sometimes get 1v1 of either ZK or BA, quite often with the same ~5 people, and in my experience those people will be very very egotistical and competitive, but only play that 1 game on the engine, and only on 1 of a choice of ~10 maps. If i wanted reductionist, map-defined timing pushes and rehearsed builds, I would go play HOTS.

There used to a be a large number of people I could pm for an instant 1v1 of almost any mod, on almost any map. Those players left, or stopped playing so much.

Past few times I logged in, I spammed a few channels (why did ZKlobby kill #main? Really now, super sad face) with "1v1 anyone?" and got 0 response, got bored after 30 minutes chatting to the same couple of developers about their projects, log out again for ~3 months.

I'm not saying spring 1v1 is completely dead. Compare it to days of yore, when I could spam #main and have a match full of spectators within a minute, and I think it is naive to argue that the situation has not degenerated.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It's true that ZKlobby makes no effort to use #main, which imo is a bad thing, but it's not the only things that does it. On springlobby unless you change your layout from the default one (which I do), you won't see #main unless you deliberately click to it. I think (?) it wasn't always like that.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Silentwings wrote:It's true that ZKlobby makes no effort to use #main, which imo is a bad thing, but it's not the only things that does it. On springlobby unless you change your layout from the default one (which I do), you won't see #main unless you deliberately click to it. I think (?) it wasn't always like that.
it always was, you can reorder your chat tabs. Maybe the early versions didn't have drag and drop but before the drag and drop stuff sl had only 1 viewing window for the chat you were reading.
rattle
Damned Developer

Re: AW: Atari sells TA's intellectual property

Post by rattle »

Let's hope they buy it, I don't want to see some TA FPS
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Or worst: TA - the movie.
Followed by a console game based on the movie: TA the movie the game.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

TA- The halfassed Action Adventure- you didnt expect the job of a comander to suck so much (or be so much about sucking and spraying)..

Actually that was one of the biggest problems of TA the unequal stress distribution.. the first minutes you got not much todo- and in the end to much paralle... Zero-Ks present factory was quite a good reaction to that.. although i would have had a diffrent presentation thats more coherrent with the team.. (Comander has a Extra Tank to grow this one time factory)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Wasnt there already a TA the movie project?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Wargaming.net got it, they also bought GPG so they might put Taylor on the helm again.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

KDR_11k wrote:Wargaming.net got it, they also bought GPG so they might put Taylor on the helm again.
http://www.pcgamesn.com/total-annihilat ... lor-studio
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Ohh, uau!
... Uber Entertainment also put in a bid.
:) Kind of was expecting that to happen.

C'mon, Chris, make it for sure, this time! I'm kind of worrying that PA won't make it, because of the planets stuff and a possible tendency towards "mind-less macro".

And, could we be seeing a new Masters of Orion (definitely my favourite 4x sci-fi game)?

I'm (non-sexually) excited!

Return to “General Discussion”