Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!) - Page 14

Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Johannes

Re: Planetory Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post by Johannes »

2 seconds + rotating is still infinitely more than 0 seconds it takes to get an overview from a flat minimap...
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

so what?

since everyone has to do it its not a balanceprop. And if that would be the price to pay for the 3d maps, i would deem it worth it.

It really doesn´t disrupt the flow of the game. A least for me... but then I don´t have a problem with icons too.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

way to solve this would be a actuall way to peak through the planet, and jump through it zoomwise. Guess its so fixxed in once mind that you cant go through a solid object, but guess what you can.
And you see them from down below, fighting as iconwar on the other side..
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am going to repeat what I said earlier. it is an alpha. too early to tell anything. Best to keep an open mind and not judge the current content.

I still hold my same concerns about the game. I cannot assume the game will look as shitty as it is now but I think you guys should just wait and see rather than try to formulate opinions on obvious speed art and very alpha gameplay.
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

What is this no judging notion?
why Can't I have an opinion based on the current information?
Should I reserve criticism to the beta? the release? the patches? the expansion??

I thought their attitude was to dev the game with the community in mind so I'd say you should criticize as much as possible and as early as possible.

I wonder if there is gonna be that big a change to gameplay cause of spherical maps...
Until I see otherwise for me It is just a gimmick.
What is the advantage of it as oppose to a square edged map? The fact all sides connect to each other? ok...It is different, but better? just seems more confusing.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I believe the planets are toroid maps displayed as spheres (so kinda like Populous 3), that would mean they could draw the entire surface of the planet onto a minimap without distortion.
Floris

Post by Floris »

BAR mod for PA!?

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post by PicassoCT »

too much details- style collission detected
Floris

Post by Floris »

BAR units have a bit more contrast / exposure textures than the PA ones and BARA also has slightly less cartoonish/plain coloring. By its easy to globally adjust contrast/exposure on teh textures.

Details.... this is a screenshot from twitch... from PA alpha... map details are lost or not fully implemented yet maybe. Also.... the BAR units are from a high res screenshot, and then scaled down, so they have far more details in that sense too!

anyway...... just screwing around making/posting this screenshot : o )

(I just updated pic to match sharpness and coloring more)
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

KDR_11k wrote:I believe the planets are toroid maps displayed as spheres (so kinda like Populous 3), that would mean they could draw the entire surface of the planet onto a minimap without distortion.
The planets are actually spherical. There should be a few videos around by now which demonstrate this.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Right now I'm mostly lolling IRL at the fact that they're charging more for the alpha than even eaactivision dare charge for a release AAA title bundled with DLC.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

What makes me laugh more is people's reaction to it. 37 pages of omfg why so expensive.
  • It's in very early alpha, who gives a shit what the price is because it isn't the final one and if you're mad about it then just pretend it doesn't exist until it's actually released.
  • They had to keep the same price as they did for the Kickstarter funding packages
  • Perhaps people should consider that they don't actually WANT tons of people to start playing it in Alpha. If it was cheap, then everybody would get it whilst it's in Alpha, and most people would form a "wow this game is shit" opinion and never touch it again, even after release.
  • Don't you think they realise most people aren't going to pay that sort of price for it? However, they know there will be those hardcore fans out there that would be willing to pay this much, and those that aren't quite prepared to pay $90 will pay the $60 instead and those not willing to pay that will pay the final price of the game when it's released. With this scheme, not only are they limiting their alpha and beta access to high quality players who are likely very interested in the game and its progress and will give good feedback but they're also making a shit-ton of money in the process. Whether it was worth it for the bad press mainly coming from kids whining about the price on steam or not I don't know, but people whining about the price definitely shouldn't be as mad as they are.
Last edited by Jazcash on 14 Jun 2013, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar »

To add a bit more... 90$ is a reasonable price to keep a low hardcore player count. This is same thing Prison Architect did, when charging 30$. But despite their efforts they still got 100k+ players...
smoth

Post by smoth »

KingRaptor wrote:Right now I'm mostly lolling IRL at the fact that they're charging more for the alpha than even eaactivision dare charge for a release AAA title bundled with DLC.
fools and their money..
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Jazcash wrote:37 pages of omfg why so expensive.
They seem to think that alphas all work like minecraft, where the alpha was basically the game release and subsequent releases were minecraft++. So they expect a playable but maybe bare game for a cheaper price that will get more features later.

This is nothing like that. It is a dirty messy test release that is only of interest to the hardcore enthusiasts, who are just as happy to back the game with extra funds as they are to alpha test.

Uber's biggest mistake was apparently assuming that steam/greenlight was full of intelligent, reasonable users instead of impatient kids.
smoth

Post by smoth »

luckywaldo7 wrote:Uber's biggest mistake was apparently assuming that steam/greenlight was full of intelligent, reasonable users instead of impatient kids.
Or their mistake was expecting steam greenlight to work like kickstarter. It's all on uber IMO
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

I don't really know what "work like kickstarter" means. If you mean "make lots of money without product", then I disagree. I imagine they expected that there was potential for maybe a few more backer+testers and a little free advertising/awareness, and it would be worthwhile because there was nothing to lose.

Except there was something to lose when everyone lost their shit.

Yes I agree it was a bad move, but I can only say that because hindsight is 20/20. If I had to give my opinion a few days ago I would said it would be worth it for getting the name out more even if no one backed.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I think noone could have expected that the posters on steam greenlight are so stupid to not understand how donations work.
smoth

Post by smoth »

A market is not where you find the people who fund your apple farm. You sell apples there.

Steam is a market. People are there to buy apples.

There are projects from kickstarter on steam. I bought loadout on steam, which really was just a few extra items, access to it and a bunch of in game currency that could have been earned all the same by grinding in game. I essentially just paid for in game content. Now, they have a different model. What I got was in game currency at a discount. As in I got apples+special apples.. and it funds their development, for 40$

PA came on steam and asked 90 bucks not for apples but so people could have the same apples others will have months from now. Maybe a special com but whoopty do. It isn't worth 90$ even if this was a special edition in the store.. it isn't worth 90$ I have the starcraft 2 expansion box set. Which is a similar comparison. I got a few extra icons and shit but what I really wanted was the sound track AND HARD BOUND PHYSICAL art book. It came with a bunch of extra crap that I don't care about but it was only 70$ + extra for tax. so game + artbook and soundtrack(BOTH PHYSICAL COPIES) yeah.. that was worth it. If it was 90$ fuck that.

PA could have had an option where it just gives you early access for like 50-40$ and called it a preorder.. no one would have griped but this isn't kickstarter, it is steam and people expect reasonable prices and are not here to DONATE shit.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

It is completely reasonable to not to buy the alpha access because the $90 for eventually the same product is not worth it to you.

It is completely reasonable to buy the alpha access because you are a hardcore fan and the early involvement is worth the extra money to you.

It is not reasonable to throw a tantrum because you want alpha access without paying the same price that everyone else paid for it.

So I understand smoth that you do not have interest in the game, especially for the price. That does not justify the shit storm happening down there.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”