thread CPU affinity not set

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

When using spring-multithreaded on Gentoo Linux64 I get:

Code: Select all

.spring/infolog.txt:[f=0000000] CPU Cores: 4
.spring/infolog.txt:[f=0000000] [Threading] Main thread CPU affinity not set
.spring/infolog.txt:[f=0000020] [Threading] Sim thread CPU affinity not set
Should/Can I do something to fix the affinity - assuming it gives better performance?
AntiAllez

Re: thread CPU affinity not set

Post by AntiAllez »

if I have understood correctly then it is a mt feature. If you using mt(that one without omp) remove your spring.cfg and it turns on automatically. when I tried to configure it myself it only caused crashes. Zerver wasnt happy about my experiments and I didnt noticed until now that he advised anything else.

I recognized that you play often robot defence. Press i and you can see if one of the mt versions working on it. Gml on false then its broken. Currently robot defence only supports omp. Nixtux told me that there are two major gadgets that cause the desync.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Although the gadgets may trigger a desync, the underlying reason is a bug in Spring MT. So Nixtux should not waste time fixing this unless he is sure there is something wrong in the gadget, because a new fixed MT is coming.

You will get CPU affinity if you download 94.11. Please note that the 94.11 "spring" executable is actually a "spring-multithreaded".
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Thank you for the explanations. I was actually using spring-multithreaded.

Code: Select all

Spring 94.1 (ASIM GML OMP)
Does that mean I can ignore that message in my vanilla spring installation?

AntiAllez: spring-multithreaded works well with RD/TA. I think spring-mt does not... uhm... oh... that is what you wrote xD
Sometimes I have the feeling though, that with spring-ST it takes longer to slow my PC down to a few fps... But without benchmarking or playing the same match twice it's just a feeling...

zerver:
* so the "spring" executable in the 94.11-MT-branch syncs with vanilla 94.1?
* And that "spring" executable does do auto CPU affinity?
* Wouldn't I need root-power to configure that? Or is there a unprivileged system call that kindly asks the scheduler to please please reserve a core for me?
* will the auto CPU affinity (of the non-MT spring) be merged into vanilla spring?
AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

ASIM GML OMP desync with robot defense. Sometimes you can play 20 minutes and more on a host before anyone desync. On ASIM APATH GML same story.

dont worry zerver- nixtux told me something like this that he awaiting new outlook for mt...
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

AntiAllez wrote:ASIM GML OMP desync with robot defense. Sometimes you can play 20 minutes and more on a host before anyone desync.
That is "normal" spring-multithreaded, and for me it doesn't desync in RD.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

dansan wrote:That is "normal" spring-multithreaded, and for me it doesn't desync in RD.
I think you are right because no one reported any desyncs in RD.
AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

I have always desync with it. why everybody play only with omp? Today we tried to play with multi-threaded.exe on BOS autohost with 3 players, all had desync after 19 minutes... 8[ said to me that it works with 2 players on few maps. So you had never desync on it? if you press i ingame on a well attended host what appears to you at gml? true or false?
AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

ok danchan, it seems sometimes it works. Last game without desync for about 48 minutes, then we stopped. 4 players with omp, only me with mt. Gml was on false, but we will see the future :wink:
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Hmm... yeah... results vary. It seems dependent on the map.

From now on I will write down on which maps I [de]sync with which engine version. Maybe it helps to debug things, or to at least make a white/black list... or table: [games|map|engines].
knorke

Post by knorke »

dansan wrote:It seems dependent on the map.

From now on I will write down on which maps I [de]sync with which engine version.
Or maybe on the autohost?
See http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=3809#c10787
It only desynced in certain combinations (like one player changed from linux to windows and then he synced) but it seems the real problem was the dedicated spring version on autohost..
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@zerver:

whats your plan, to not split springs community? thats the unique thing, the "spring project" has.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@zerver

great, you are really trying to split the community. sorry i can't allow this, i've deleted your files on springfiles.com. also, there seems to be no source code available, this violates gpl...
AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

[13:57:55] <[AG]abma> guys, whats your plan?
[13:58:01] <[AG]abma> you you want to get banned? :-|
wellcome to the planet abma ...
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@AntiAllez:

did you ask BA devs if you can create a fork of it? (just one of many points...)

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23943
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

We were asked and, as the branding policy says, we made it explicitly clear that we would not allow BA to be locked to any engine version.

Aside from the issue of locking to engine versions, we are happy for others to use BA content & we even help out devs for other mods who want to use it legitimately. We don't allow mod hijacking and there is the branding policy designed to prevent that.
AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

why should i ask anyone for anything? iam not a dev and i never hijacked a mod! btw, zerver said he ask ba-team about branding and they didnt allowed it, so he renamed it into balanced mt.

and you ask about how not to split the community? yours is definitely not gone really helpful. if you dont see a way to live with us into coexistence maybe it should then be that ta-derived need a new home. how often i red this here- now i talking the same shitness.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

zerver said he ask ba-team about branding and they didnt allowed it, so he renamed it into balanced mt.
Aside from issues of engines GPL license, what zerver did was precisely one of the things BA had told him we wouldn't allow. It's also made clear by the branding policy, in multiple ways.
Last edited by Silentwings on 13 Jul 2013, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Even if my computer was too old to profit from the multithreading I did not really mind it: Some testgames etc are imo not "dangerous" to community splitting.

To me this mt version still a spring-fork: just now it is an unofficial one.
So presenting it as something new like on zerver's site is imo a bit lame.
For example on springfiles the text for BA mod was something like "new fresh game designed for gpl violation" which feels like some trick.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

AntiAllez wrote:why should i ask anyone for anything? iam not a dev and i never hijacked a mod! btw, zerver said he ask ba-team about branding and they didnt allowed it, so he renamed it into balanced mt.
sorry, the question why he forked / changed ba without respecting the ba rules then goes directly to zerver.
AntiAllez wrote: and you ask about how not to split the community? yours is definitely not gone really helpful. if you dont see a way to live with us into coexistence maybe it should then be that ta-derived need a new home. how often i red this here- now i talking the same shitness.
i don't see a way, too when rules and licenses are ignored. imo: either we respect each other or this can't work.

Return to “Help & Bugs”