Neverwinter

Neverwinter

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Hoi

Neverwinter

Post by Hoi »

http://nw.perfectworld.com/

It's in open beta.
Q: What is Neverwinter?
Neverwinter is a free, action MMORPG based on the acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game. Epic stories, action combat and classic roleplaying await those heroes courageous enough to enter the fantastic world of Neverwinter!

Explore and defend one of the most beloved cities from the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting as it rises from the ashes of destruction. This immersive MMORPG will take you from the besieged walls of the city to subterranean passageways in search of forgotten secrets and lost treasure.
Interesting feature:
Q: Will I be able to make my own adventures and play through them with my friends?
Yes! It wouldn't be a true Neverwinter game without a content-creation tool! Players will be able to shape and add to the world of Neverwinter by creating and building their own adventures or full-fledged campaigns from the ground up using The Foundry for Neverwinter.

Q: What is The Foundry?
The Foundry for Neverwinter is your chance to craft the world of Neverwinter your way. A robust and powerful toolset, you can use The Foundry for Neverwinter to create and build new adventures and campaigns to share with your friends and the entire Neverwinter community. Learn more by visiting The Foundry info page.
Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5dsZhLHPeQ

Gameplay seems especially interesting because it's not like most mmo's, so no tab targeting and pressing the skill buttons. You have to aim and move around. I haven't played yet so can't share any first impressions. Download is completing soon, so I'm about to play.
rattle
Damned Developer

Re: Neverwinter

Post by rattle »

usual pay to win bullshit
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Yes please, yet another brainless MMORPG. What, wasn't the D&D movie a big enough flop?

NWN was one of the worst games I ever tried. So overhyped, and such a let down after the awesomeness that was Baldur's Gate.

Bleh.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Based on reports I've seen it's not pay to win... you can pay for things if you want to get them early but all of the pay content is either available to all players (but just takes longer) or merely aesthetic.

That said, I've had a lot of fun over the years playing the "see how much fun I can extract from a free-to-play game without spending any money" game.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

The D&D movie was a flop, but it was also a labour of love for the principal participant, and - as you can tell from the movie itself - it had shockingly little to do with D&D. I think he made a better, cheaper film afterwards, but I didn't watch it.

Eh, I have no interest in MMOs. Last one I tried was Spiral Knights, which was cute and fun for a while.
smoth

Post by smoth »

MMOS and DLC are cancer to the gaming hobby
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I've seen some coverage a while ago mainly critisizing the dull gameplay and the terrible quest editor. If I wanted to play DND with internet friends I'll play anything from Black Isle

One of the best translations I've seen so far was Temple of Elemental Evil (fan patched that is), I wish there was another game like this in ab open world without restrictions like a cheesy story line. Kinda like M&B but turn based party combat and perhaps random this and that tasks.

Considering how much the MMO market is flooded with things that mainly steal your time or money or both this might as well succeed, people seem to be interested in old school stuff if you follow successful kickstarter projects.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

DLC is one of the worst things to happen to gaming. Sure, AAA games are expensive to make. But they also tend to have only about 8 hours of story gameplay. Sure, you can do every generic quest there is in say, a Bethesda RPG. But since 99% of production money is spent on visual FX, actual gameplay content these days is worse than ever before. So gamers are left with having to buy DLCs for extra quests that really should have been in the game in the first place.

Baldur's gate had 100's of hours of meaningful content, complex NPC interactions and etcetera. Oblivion had NPCs with three dialog choices: Give me a quest, Rumours and Goodbye. Fiction wise, it would have shamed a child novelist to publish such a story.

Games are shallower than ever before, but credits lists keep growing with more managers, artists and programmers. Assassin's Creed 3 was about 10 hours of gameplay (at best), of which the credits were perhaps half an hour long.

I think NWN was an early example of how easy it is to throw around buzzwords like player content and persistent worlds to sell a boring POS game.

D3 was another huge letdown. I really hope these soulless companies will go bankrupt from piracy. Perhaps then focus will shift to making meaningful culture instead of just churning out graphics engines.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

It's true that DLC is generally a bad thing but it's been around, in other forms, for longer than you think...

Back in the heyday of Nintendo you'd buy a game and then buy a subscription to Nintendo Power and make a few calls to the Nintendo Hotline and then maybe buy a Game Genie to find out about and unlock all of the content in the cart you purchased... codes, unguessable tricks, complicated puzzles and other secret knowledge all served to drive people to these things... unfortunately the Internet broke this revenue stream irreparably.

Game companies also used to release multiple carts using the same engines with new graphics and levels... it wasn't that common but a good example would be MegaMan... new content was created and then sold for full price even though it was essentially the same game.

So... what I see as the problem is not so much DLC in general but BAD DLC... or "we developed a game and then put a bunch of it behind a paywall" or "same character, different model"... when a company legitimately goes back in and creates new content that adds to the game experience... that's good DLC.

I wouldn't mind a couple more hours of gameplay and story to be made post release and sold as a new "chapter" for example.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

I get the feeling that it used to be more of an after-thought; "Wow, people really loved that and want more, so lets do that."

Whereas now, it feels more like a planned scheme; "People will want - and pay for - more later if we hold back now, so lets do that"
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Well as things stand something good, a well known franchise for example, gets bought and then turned into a dumbed down cosolized version of it. Best recent examples are xcom and syndicate.

The point is people want more of the same not something fancy that is pretty dull on the inside.

DLC is just a marketing term. Addons have been around for ages and in most cases these addons actually added something to a game in terms of value vs. content offered in contradiction to the money milking machine called DLC
dimm

Post by dimm »

Hoi wrote: Gameplay seems especially interesting because it's not like most mmo's, so no tab targeting and pressing the skill buttons. You have to aim and move around. I haven't played yet so can't share any first impressions. Download is completing soon, so I'm about to play.
EVERYONE GOPLAY LOST SAGA. And tell them to turn of the stupid screen shake. Maybe Rumble Fighter.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”