smoth's junk. - Page 20

smoth's junk.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Neddie
Community Lead

Re: smoth's junk.

Post by Neddie »

I would load out with that purple, but it needs something... maybe a pink or silver accent?
smoth

Post by smoth »

smoth wrote:Image
click image for larger
click image for larger

I think I have the color setup that is better.
Neddie wrote:I would load out with that purple, but it needs something... maybe a pink or silver accent?
I have 1 channel left to use on the mech, so I waiver between adding a 2nd accent color, or using it to allow people to tint the metal.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Hurm... well, it has been a long time since I textured, but I think I would err on the side of tinting sections of the body metal, sort of a tint accent? Eh, that would probably lead to awkward colour muddle in the end.
smoth

Post by smoth »

well essentially, it would be an accent color(like extra colors for vents) or something. OR it would be metal color/specular levels. So essentially you could do gold metalics or something.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Image(click for larger)

Forgot that I didn't post a shot of the MKI chasis. woo. Oh and tweaked the texture some more.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

do you have a cleenex I just jizzed my underpants
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Those shoulders are super blocky. It's confusing to the eyes. Can't you remove the three outer shoulder plates?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think it works with the visual style I am going for with these guys, largely blocky with a combination of angular accents. from the top it really works with the blocky style I wanted to convey. From the front it gives them a very hyper-masculine appearance looking physically strong and stout. I wanted that feeling for this suit. I am not sure why that is visually confusing.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Are these player controlled units or AI? also what happened to all the what I assume are creeps you posted awhile back?
scifi

Post by scifi »

i guess i havent stopped in this thread to say awesome sauce.
So here it goes.

AWESOME SAUCE. :mrgreen:

On a side note i do enjoy those shoulders, style wise it fits well with the torso witch has a blocky apeal to it as well.

I find if you are going for rounded shoulders a Curved head and a more sphered torso looks better.

The heads could be more menacing and a bit bigger imo, they look a bit small.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Bob: they are not getting uved right now as my kitbashes of the pather were sufficient to test what they needed.

Scifi, I'll look into scaling the heads a bit, the suits you see in the thread are fir tier suits so the have fairly primitive heads. Later tier stuff is going to have more gundam/transfirmer like heads.

At the moment I am occupied with getting the underlying code a bit stronger. I won't stsrt the real gane work until I get the core code more solidified
smoth

Post by smoth »

Image(click image for larger)

I don't like the larger heads, makes them feel chibi. I would rather keep the heads smaller like they were. this is only 120% larger

*edit* didn't like the end result, reverted
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Very manly.
smoth

Post by smoth »

since people are actually watching. I didn't really realize that my absence was noticed. which makes me a bit happy that people care.

Anyway here is what is going on.

For the past 4 months I have been traveling both in and out of country. Partly as a precursor for my planned "settle down" phase of my life. Right now I am getting ready to go on a 2 week trip where I will be traveling across country to the east coast to try and find a place I may want to move to and start work in. So if it seems my updates have slowed to a crawl it is not due to a lack of interest or an intent to stop trying.

I will be honest though, the community and attitudes here-in does wear on me, I do wonder why I bother and if I should move to another engine. However, I really am a fanboy of spring and still believe in it. The larger good will behind project goals does degrade with each bit of BS I read around here but I soldier on anyway.

so what is it that I am actually doing. Well, in different discussions with peet and behe there are certain limitations to the way things are setup with the current shader system

BEGIN DULL CODE WHINING
Right now, the colors are set for all players, meaning you cannot have your own selection of colors. So I am reworking the underlying tables to allow each player to have their own unit color set.

Which brought me back to having "paintjob" files, originally I decided to load all the paint bucket settings in the unit def custom params. this was to save on the whole file I/O and speed things up. This obviously would not work if players are to be able to have some kind of possible custom colors settings.

which linked to another issue. The projection of textures on r and g channels of texture3. Right now there is a file with all these matrices, this is clumsy and difficult to work with. after some discussion between peet and I. the realization of keeping each type of matrix transform(if that is the right term for stuff like scaling and skewing) as a function that can be applied in steps meant that I would have to alter my current transform tag to more than just a look up.

So I realized that I should bring BACK the paintjob files so I can allow content devs to get as nutty as they want. SOOO I definitely needed to refactor my shader utilities.

So that is what is going on. This sort of thing does take some time and I will need to sit down and figure out my refactor. Some may ask to assist in the task, I have not found a coder I am comfortable with doing work on this stuff outside of KDR, PEET or BEHE and each has good reasons to do their own thing and I would rather them do that.

END DULL CODE TALK
this would not be a big deal if I had a good weekend or something to work on stuff but because i am constantly in flux for trips(leaving for my moving research trip in aprox 7 hours) I forget what does what and have to reread all the related code and resume work where I was. It is slow and agonizing but it is how things are at the moment with respect to the work being done.

Some people may wonder what will happen to all the work I did balancing gundam and it's code. That is all part of the core code driving this next game. Just because i have changed IP over to my own stuff doesn't mean my concepts have to be all that different to facilitate the gameplay I want to see. If anything the fact that I am making up the rules means I can add whatever I want and do whatever crazy stuff I want to with the units. So that is what I am doing.

The current unit, the badger(aka PEETBOT) is a baseline for all mechs in my story so I fidget a lot with how it will work and what features it will have. My hopes are that I can have units with robust scripts and unit functionality that appeals more to the current generation of players, while still allowing the I WANT 90 TANKS ALL SHOOTING players.

On animations and unit behaviors. I am largely blowing off suggestions because people are frequently demanding all these features that really belong in a fps. I play tons of other rts games, hell airmech, a game where you are focused on 1 unit and your troops has a lot of units who's fire points don't even match the model(rockets shooting out of a unit's head) yet players do not notice. So I am not interested in your suggestion to add the support to blow limbs off a unit. this is not an fps game, I don't want to be that fidgety.

However, I am adding lots of touches and little bits of flair thanks to the more modular script I use now. This modular scripting is a godsend. Right now there is 1 base script which controls all the behaviors of all the tanks and mechs in my project. I have a series of tags where I can define what is holding the unit's weapons and how those weapons animate and respond. all of these faculties are in a state of frequent augmentation and enhancement. Key point, if I want to make a giant tank with a mech torso and have it fire rockets from it's shoulders I can. If I want to make a mech with a dick and ass gun, I can. With very minimal scripting. This means once I start work on my next project, I will be able to produce content almost as quickly as I can model and texture it.

So the shader system and script are my 2 big focus items. Getting them done means I will have the means to produce content at a significantly faster rate and it means that my code will be easier to maintain and future features will be easier to add. I have augmented kdr's ability code. I have revised many aspects of the research and economy code. I have written many very useful scriptlets for my modular code. Everything is being done to streamline the development of a game. The ONLY delay is that I am actually having a life and doing a lot of traveling.

so stay tuned and keep a weather eye open, I cannot tell you this stuff will be some really great framework and I am definitely against hyping anything but I sincerely hope that what I am doing will open doors for people who were previously unable to do content development due to scripts being too difficult to follow. I am promising nothing but truely believe what I am doing will be helpful to the community and more importantly will pay me back in time saved once I resume game development.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

i luve trains and airplanes cause they dont force you to code (if not forced to stop by catastrophic events)
smoth

Post by smoth »

I code and do art where I can during those trips but today I am doing much of the driving. I will mostly be online using my cellphone after this. Later ya'll.
smoth

Post by smoth »

MAN the corsair and hellcat aircraft are HUGE. Spent much of the day looking at tanks and other weapons. Walked around the the US Alabama, much inspiration found. I think I will try and remodel some of the weapons on the badger.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Not much going on with the code, no time. So instead I am doing a bunch of weapon and model tweaks at night:

from
to

ignoring the removal of the texture application that muddied up the unit. I tweaked the rocket launcher and the mech's chest. Right now, it has shoulder mounted fixed underwater weapons(not scripted yet) and a new back back along with a few other minor tweaks.

I also changed the minigun.
the idea came to me looking at construction equipment, rivet guns and jack hammers. being that these guys are used to doing construction equipment, why not have them using stuff that looks like it is construction equipment painted green,
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

You know you hit rockbottom with spring, when you are on the road, with nothing but your handy, and you modify stuff - via sms, one line at a time.

Poor smoth. Betafjordcenter is waiting for you.
smoth

Post by smoth »

another evening resting after traveling goodness knows how far.

The mining body. Prior to the the conflict that would see the badger pressed into a combat role it performed many utility functions. One of which was a large mining unit. This is just me working out the mining mech look. After I get this sorted, I will do a construction unit.

Return to “Art & Modelling”