Went to see the Space Shuttle today :-D

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

http://youtu.be/b3vqmnEra14

https://plus.google.com/101823204465511 ... cujacqLtgy

It was without a doubt the coolest thing I have ever see. If you live near LA and haven't seen it yet... Go. Nothing can even come close to describing what being so close to it is like.

When I walked into the hangar, my first reaction was "Holy Shit" and absolutely speechless for at least 5 minutes. Words can't describe how incredibly awesome it was.
varikonniemi

Re: Went to see the Space Shuttle today :-D

Post by varikonniemi »

So many hundred billion dollars lost flying that outdated piece of technology. It should have been scrapped after the first launch when it was realized the 'cost saving' space shuttle turned out to be the most expensive way to get to orbit created by man yet.

And if something tops the inefficiency of the Saturn rocket, it really is so bad it should have been aborted.

Now, seeing the saturn rocket in-person would be awe-inspiring as it was a failure of epic proportions, both economically AND physically.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

... the fuck?
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

well... i, for one, am officially jealous.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

varikonniemi wrote:Now, seeing the saturn rocket in-person would be awe-inspiring as it was a failure of epic proportions, both economically AND physically.
Considering the goal was to get to the moon before the Russian at any cost, I'd say the Saturn V was a success, not a failure.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Oh, yeah, and all those "we can do it cheaper" guys today dont have the benefit of standing on a giants shoulder?

The spaceshuttle was/ and is the coolest thing when it comes to travell to space regularly. Saturn V was nice, but basically a complete throw away rocket.

I for once salute the US for exploring space. And every other nation who "wastes" money on such a nobel cause.

dont get var wrong Forb. From a engineering point of view we now know that the spaceshuttle was problematic. Especially the heatshielding. Having thousands of little tiles that had to be custom shaped for every piece of that round noose was a nightmare.

And still. It - together with the russian rockets build the ISS. And while there are plans for rockets to replace them en masse, there is currently noone on the planet besides the russians able to get payloads to space.

Columbia is not forgotten.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Looks cool, as if something from a sci fi movie.

However, var is right, there are many issues with the space shuttle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_ ... le_program.
knorke

Post by knorke »

And while there are plans for rockets to replace them en masse, there is currently noone on the planet besides the russians able to get payloads to space.
There are plenty other launch system beside the russians.
USA still have Atlas, Delta,..
Europe's Ariane
China has Long March
Japan has whateveristhename
plus all the new stuff that will become useable/already is like from the private space-x
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Picasso, I understand. But dude... I saw the fricking space shuttle. I don't know how to explain how incredibly cool that was.

Oh and,

"Science, it works!" ... ... ... "Bitches." (that debate was funny :-D )

Also, Elon Musk and Space X are so awesome it makes my balls hurt.

But seriously, seeing the space shuttle is by far the coolest experience ever. I can't describe what it was like to walk into the hangar. Everyone felt it. All these people walked in, and everyone just stared. No one said a word.

I mean, I've been dreaming about these things since I was a little kid. To see it in person was so amazing. I would give my left kidney to be able to sit in the cockpit and see the inside of the bay.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Sweet. I will have to take a day trip to see it in the near future.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I might have to make time to do that when I visit my brother next. I've never seen the shuttle up close, but I did see a launch from very far away when I was a kid once. It was just a stream of white smoke but it was still a neat experience just thinking of where that stream of smoke was going.

Sounds cool man, glad you got to see some history
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

My jealously burns with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns.

The space shuttle was a big influence on some of my major life decisions, and I have zero regrets.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

SanadaUjiosan wrote: It was just a stream of white smoke but it was still a neat experience just thinking of where that stream of smoke was going.
Isn't it steam?
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Wish I didn't so Damn far away, I would love to see it
Das Bruce wrote:
Isn't it steam?
I think the steam is smoke in this case, since it's still combustion.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Funkencool wrote:I think the steam is smoke in this case, since it's still combustion.
But it's hydrogen and LOX isn't it?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

the SSME's burned LH2 and LOx, but the SRB's burned NH4ClO4 and Al --> steam + smoke

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”