Spring 93.1 / 93.2

Spring 93.1 / 93.2

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
zerver
Spring Developer

Spring 93.1 / 93.2

Post by zerver »

Release Message
You may not believe it, but this is a brand new Spring version, and although it may have problems under the surface, it has been high-gloss polished with many extra layers of varnish

Kudos
Thanks everyone for your contributions!

Download links Changes Sometime in the near future, even bigger battles may appear on an unsuspecting computer screen in your vicinity. Stay tuned for Spring MT.
Last edited by zerver on 14 Mar 2013, 23:42, edited 3 times in total.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Re: Spring 93.1

Post by jamerlan »

I love bugfixes! Thanks!
fruehling

Post by fruehling »

Thanks a lot! It's really running way better! Is there any plan when it is going to be enforced on server? Or is there a site with info about that?
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Thanks!
zerver wrote:Sometime in the near future, even bigger battles may appear on an unsuspecting computer screen in your vicinity. Stay tuned for Spring MT.
?

So what is going on now? Can we still play battles with single and MT players? And on 93 already or only on 93.1?
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

klapmongool wrote:Thanks!
zerver wrote:Sometime in the near future, even bigger battles may appear on an unsuspecting computer screen in your vicinity. Stay tuned for Spring MT.
?

So what is going on now? Can we still play battles with single and MT players? And on 93 already or only on 93.1?
the confusion stems from the very unfortunate name choice picked, there's 3 version of spring now:
normal
MT-GML ( has additional threading for rendering )
MT-ASIM ( has additional threading for some part of sim along the GML features )

normal and GML are what players are used to since years, ASIM is what's new and not available yet
normal and GML are still available for download in the normal spring packages, ASIM will be shipped separately
normal and GML are still sync compatible barrying bugs, ASIM is not necessarily so
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

BrainDamage wrote:normal
MT-GML ( has additional threading for rendering )
MT-ASIM ( has additional threading for some part of sim along the GML features )
What does GML and ASIM mean?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Server updated to 93.1 on zerver request.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

BrainDamage wrote:the confusion stems from the very unfortunate name choice picked
Yeah, the most confusing name is MT-Sim (which luckily is not a name I have chosen). It gives the impression of multithreaded simulation, although it only has multithreaded rendering and asynchronous simulation.

I have fixed the naming now:
Spring = single threaded simulation (at least 98% of it, there is some OMP)

Spring MT = multithreaded simulation (~50% is currently threaded)

ASIM = asynchronous simulation. An independent simulation thread that can run alongside the main (rendering) thread. In case of Spring MT it will be multiple independent simulation threads.

APATH = asynchronous pathfinding. An independent pathfinding thread.

GML = openGL Mulithreading Library. This is the library I wrote a long time ago that enables multithreaded openGL using a queuing mechanism. The library does not give a big performance gain but has other advantages, such as monitoring openGL usage across threads and throwing errors when illegal calls are attempted.

OMP = openMP, an open standard for multithreading

So with Spring MT (ASIM APATH GML) rendering, simulation and pathfinding all run in parallel, and there are both multiple rendering and simulation threads.

In Spring (MT-Sim GML OMP) rendering and simulation run in parallel, and there are both multiple rendering threads.
klapmongool wrote:So what is going on now? Can we still play battles with single and MT players? And on 93 already or only on 93.1?
Spring 93.1 is same as before and you can downoad Spring MT 93.1X instead and it should be equally good or better and you can use it on all servers. Only reason to avoid MT is if you have a single core. MT will then be 1-2% slower.
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

Licho wrote:Server updated to 93.1 on zerver request.
I guess the download page should be updated as well.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

download page updated...

@zerver: next time give people more time, i guess not a single linux package is built. also it currently looks like most autohosts still use spring 91.0, so its pretty useless to enforce it on the server.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Yes, I asked licho to do it tomorrow actually, but I think there was a misunderstanding, maybe because I asked around 4 am in the morning. Sorry.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

maybe it bumps multi-engine support a bit: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 64#p537464 :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

wish you guys would have given us a bit of time to test this before posting it. there are changes that went untested.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

smoth wrote:wish you guys would have given us a bit of time to test this before posting it. there are changes that went untested.
more people testing -> more and faster feedback
smoth

Post by smoth »

well, it is just that my entire evening was spent getting a dae in game so I could test spring's dev version against it.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

zerver wrote: I have fixed the naming now:
---
Text
---
This should be stickied and wikied.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

So there i was "ahha, new spring, gotta compile" and then BAM IT'S YEAR TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMPILE ANYMORE.

And then i cried of happiness.
danil_kalina

Post by danil_kalina »

What about Unitsync ? How we can set specific folder for Spring Data in Linux ?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Zerver, goddamnit!

Dude, 93.1 was not properly tested, and you need to give us at least 4 or 5 days advance warning. Set a frigging date and time for the server to switch over. Jesus christ dude.

That was a real douchey thing to do, zerver.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Forboding Angel wrote:That was a real douchey thing to do, zerver.
The norm is to set live 1-2 days after release. Like said I wanted 2 days but licho was trigger happy.

Return to “News”