Four hills [v0.6][Updated]

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Well I've been working on it on and off for awhile now but since it seems everyone else is releasing maps, I shall too.

It's very loosely based on my memory of Ashap plateau, which was among my favorites for TA. It is also the map I pushed to furthest and test some stuff with, but I couldn't seem to get parralax where I wanted it so instead it just a has a super detailed normal map.

Anyway here's some screens..
and an older screen showing off snow..

If you feel like checking it out, here it is vv
http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/fhbeta
Also, if you get a chance, check out the map options I'd like to know if the precipation widget is working for other people..
Funkencool

Re: Four hills [v0.6][Updated]

Post by Funkencool »

Update -- Added gadget for dynamic sun
"/dynamicsun" in game will disable it
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Looks great. :-)

It seems though the lower areas near the edge, are not on any route to metal or an enemy and thus may hardly be used. I'd given each plateau at least 2 ramps. Must say haven't played it though.

And I think the yellow snow on the plateau edges is something you might want to look into.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

FireStorm_ wrote:Looks great. :-)

It seems though the lower areas near the edge, are not on any route to metal or an enemy and thus may hardly be used. I'd given each plateau at least 2 ramps. Must say haven't played it though.

And I think the yellow snow on the plateau edges is something you might want to look into.

The metal map is a little deglected to be honest, but I am trying to go for the one ramp mentality of Ashap plateau.

and as far as the yellow snow :regret: I was actually trying to go for young vegetation where there isn't snow but I still might have to rethink it a little..

knorke

Post by knorke »

nice nice.
some critics:
-33 mb is too large for 8x8 map.
-some cliffs seem very dark, ie bottom left, the cliff that is facing to the right.
-bottom left there is a lone geo vent near map edge (was supposed to be a tree?)
-reclaimable trees with 1 energy are annoying. (for example with area reclaim) Either give ~50e or better: make unreclaimable. (can still crush them)
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

knorke wrote:nice nice.
some critics:
-33 mb is too large for 8x8 map.
-some cliffs seem very dark, ie bottom left, the cliff that is facing to the right.
-bottom left there is a lone geo vent near map edge (was supposed to be a tree?)
-reclaimable trees with 1 energy are annoying. (for example with area reclaim) Either give ~50e or better: make unreclaimable. (can still crush them)
Thanks that's a good point about the reclaim I'll remember that for the rest of my maps, and I think the cliffs were because I darkened the whole specular map and forgot to brighten the cliffs back up (don't know how that geo got there :? ).
I think the 33mb is because I used a very large normal map, which probably isn't good for performance either but I thought maybe the map being small might offset that. I'll see what I can do, but I'd hate to see all that detail disappear.. I wish we had normal splatting :|
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

Tried it out with Zero-K, I liked the look but the metalmap config wasn't working. There was just a few scattered supermexes instead of what is (faintly) pictured here:

ZK can use image baked metalmaps too, if you want to have the layout the same.
knorke

Post by knorke »

two more things:
-mex extrator radius is way too large, it covers all 3 spots at once.
-in BA (guess other mods too) the slopes of ramps & cliffs are bad:
vehicles can use the lower left ramp but not the other ones.
The cliffs are different regarding how good kbots can climb them, for example top right only has one narrow path while bottom left can be climbed almost everywhere.
Select a unit, press F2 to see where it can go. (purple = can not go here)

If that is fixed it might be good map with xta, lately small ffa seems to be popular and there are not so many maps to chose from.

Return to “Map Releases”