Natural Selection 2

Natural Selection 2

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Natural Selection 2

Post by Forboding Angel »

This game has horrid performance. Period. You can somewhat mitigate it by turning on texture streaming, but more often than not, you're going to end up putting everything to low just so you can stop the random freezing.

You'll be happily moving along at a brisk 90fps (high textures and particles) and BAM 5 second freeze! Unfreeze, turn another corner, 10 second freeze! This is after you spend the past 5 minutes precaching everything.

Game takes roughly 20 minutes to start the first time (this is the first time you attempt to join a server).

It's a neat concept, but it's unstable as all hell. Tbh, I want my fucking money back. What a ripoff.

As a game dev, I would be embarrassed as hell to release a game is such a sorry state as this. Adding a cost on top is insult to injury.

It looks really great, and when it isn't freezing, fps are butter smooth, but the random freezes just kill it. Like I said, texture streaming helps, but I ended up just having to put textures and particles on low with streaming, to stop the majority of the random freezes. It still happens, but at least they are bearable.

Just say no.
knorke

Re: Natural Selection 2

Post by knorke »

NaSe was great, 2 does not run on my computer :roll: (no surprise there)
On friends computer it looks good and runs very smooth...only endgame with everyone in one room or on that map with lava the fps drop. No idea what components he has but afaik it is some years old.
Appearently you just need lots of VRAM.
onos gonna onos.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I have 2gb gddr4. How is that not enough? :-/

I'm actually pretty upset about it tbh. I paid 25 bucks for it. Everything else runs butter smooth on my setup.

That said, on another subject,
I don't really have enough power to stream to twitch and play and get good fps while playing (in spring I manage about 15 - 20, sc2 about 20 - 25 although the stream itself will happily go at 30 fps no sweat).

I think for streaming it just boils down to I need some sort of uber sli setup in order to play and stream at 60fps.

If I stream in 720p, I get great playing fps, but I dislike streaming in anything lower than 1080p, so I guess that's the rub.

Back on topic,
This is the first time that I have been honestly angry because I can't get a refund for a game purchased on steam (first time I've even tried actually... and I have well over 50 games).
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 12 Feb 2013, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Its from the guys who made that lua ide.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Game has horrid performance because it uses lua for all its logic (they said).
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

c++ is outdated they said. You can have all the languages in the world, if you do it with some clever algos they said.

Seems building a rocket is still rocket sience though.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

that's a shame, this game certainly looked like fun

hopefully they can iron the creases out
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

I played it for 80+ hours with max settings and it's very good. When it freezes (it happens sometimes, like once every 1 or 2hours), I alt tab and it works again.

And since the latest patch, it loads WAAAYYY faster than it used to.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

PicassoCT wrote:Its from the guys who made that lua ide.
They open sourced it..
http://unknownworlds.com/blog/lua-ide-d ... en-source/
Only for Windows, at this time.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I bought this game way back... Runs laggy unlike most other recent titles and the other game that came with the bundle called overgrowth causes driver related freezes. How to waste your money..
NS1 was loads of fun though
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

no freeze since gorge update and it loads even faster now
constant 60fps with max settings

new units and abilities make the game better and more fun

lots of whiners here with 10years old computers full of virus and shit
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Lots of troublez with lua doing engine work ?

Also, sorry to tell you that, but we hit graphical plataue 5 years ago, since then its ridicolous to put exponential work and hardware into stuff that only looks logarithmical better. Just accept it, the days of your youth, were every generation looked better are over.

If in your game the player has time to get out the Scanning electron microscope of the zoom-wheel and look at every fucking nostril hair, your gamedesign is bad, meaning your game has boring parts, meaning you dont controll were and when the attention is (and is allowed to wander), meaning you should stop blaming the graphics department for not getting your stuff done. And yes, even during those build up moments and the start, you can grab the players attention somehow. Give him missions, keep him busy, dont let the recover breaks get to long.
Ayn Rant was here.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Satirik wrote:lots of whiners here with 10years old computers full of virus and shit
Yeah my hexacore 3.4ghz, 8gb ddr3 1600 and GTS 450 (Overclocked to 925/2000) is totally underpowered for this game.
knorke

Post by knorke »

must be shit'n'virus then.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

its natural selection those with less money and weak coding skills dont get to make a game again..

You know how blizzard got were it is? By beeing playable, even on the shitty work-desktop of your dead, even ten years later.

it seems you can lua too much..
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I could run most next gen titles in 2010–2012 rather good at maximum detail settings - save AA - on 2006/2007 hardware
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

The problem with saying 20XX hardware is that encompasses a huge range of power.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

they fixed many bugs and improved many things, maybe you could give it another chance
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I tried it again not too long ago, and performance overall had improved.

It's playable now, but still doesn't run as I feel it should. My rig is far from underpowered, but hey, at least i can play it a bit. The game itself is kinda... meh. It's neat, but gets old fairly fast.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

did the gameplay change to the original game or is it purely cosmetic?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”