Spring Cooking - Page 2

Spring Cooking

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

dimm

Re: Spring Cooking

Post by dimm »

zerver wrote: Yuk! Microwaves have this tendency to make any kind of bread really soggy.
You need tough bread, not that wimpy 10X compressible wonder stuff. Microwave to the point that all the oil in the cheese separates from the protein and effectively fries it. After that much heat and time the bread on top gets very crispy. Other things I forgot to mention: You need the cheap regular cheese (called mozzarella in US) and preferably not too salty cause you will really feel the salt from the sauce. Be sure to cover cause the sauce tends to shoot.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

MK's meal-making-maxim #328: Almost anything with a lot of glucose content and relatively little water tastes better and more sophisticated when exposed to heat. Bread toasts and gains this great smoky flavor, sugars caramelize, foods develop nice crusts, etc.

Microwaving bread is no fun because microwaves excite water and fats, and bread has not much of that, so it just ends up getting steamed. :<

Dimm's idea is interesting, though I can't help but think it'd be even better in a toaster oven set on 250-ish.
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

Has anyone here been using cast iron for a while, i just started using them and yeah... they're a game changer.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I'm going to make steak stir fry tomorrow. Yummy!
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Lolsquad_Steven wrote:Has anyone here been using cast iron for a while, i just started using them and yeah... they're a game changer.
I wanted to switch after reading this article, but I haven't gotten to it yet. That article's really useful, though!
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I'm using 18/10 or 18/12 stainless steel pans
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

Go cast iron bra

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”