Cherry MX

Cherry MX

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Beherith

Cherry MX

Post by Beherith »

Do you choose blue, brown, red, black or clear? Or do you not care or have any idea what this is?

I just went from brown to some modded reds, and the difference is truly amazing.
luckywaldo7

Re: Cherry MX

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Interesting. I have browns myself, and I love them, although I haven't spent much time with reds so I don't have much of a feel for the difference.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't care for these sort of things. I use a very flat keyboard so the buttons are small and responsive. I hate using standard keypads because I feel like I am dragging my fingers across stacks of dimes that are glued together.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Reds are completely smooth, I disliked how browns always felt gritty. I would be OK with the tactile bump if it was smoother action. You do have to get used to reds lacking any tactile feedback on activation and must learn to not bottom them out.

I ordered some blues just to try them out, and the click action on the is definitely fun.

I also lubed up the stems of the reds with some Krytox GPL-205 and it feels like typing on a cloud of boobs.

Smoth, have you ever typed on cherrys? I didnt believe they made a difference until recently. I used to also prefer the flat low travel laptop style keyboards.
PRO_rANDY

Post by PRO_rANDY »

I have Cherry Black, my next keyboard I will get Reds (same as Blacks but lower actuation pressure

Some info on the different types:

Black - ImageImage
Red - ImageImage
Brown - ImageImage
Blue - ImageImage
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

What sort of premium do you pay for keyboards with these?
PRO_rANDY

Post by PRO_rANDY »

Das Bruce wrote:What sort of premium do you pay for keyboards with these?
£60-£120 typically, my current one (value aprox £100) I got for free though, don't think I would have ever bought one if I wasn't given one, but now I would see it hard to switch back.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Bruce, I highly recommend trying one out in a store, or ordering a keyswitch sampler, to find the kind you like the most.

Randy, do you bottom out with the black? If no, then how long did it take you to learn that?
knorke

Post by knorke »

£100 for a keyboard? For that money you can get a steering wheel and then your desk is a racecar. vrooooooooom!
PRO_rANDY

Post by PRO_rANDY »

Beherith wrote:Bruce, I highly recommend trying one out in a store, or ordering a keyswitch sampler, to find the kind you like the most.

Randy, do you bottom out with the black? If no, then how long did it take you to learn that?
Not something I really notice, but I think generally I do bottom out.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I've had blues for... I think 2 years now. I'm still not sure how I feel about them.

I really like the tactile feel, and I don't mind the floating clicky point. On the other hand, I generally have a light touch on the keyboard, and I do most of my typing on the laptop keyboard with less travel.

...if only they made low-profile mechanical switches...
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Browns here. mmmmmmmmmm.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Beherith wrote:Do you choose blue, brown, red, black or clear? Or do you not care or have any idea what this is?

I just went from brown to some modded reds, and the difference is truly amazing.
Reds: gaming, quiet use
Blues: typing, annoying your roommate
Browns: typing, afraid of your roommate or I am too cheap to buy a QFR so I'm going to troll eBay and Craigslist for a Compaq instead
Blacks: gaming, you hate yourself or your love SteelSeries (or both)
Clears: typing, you enjoy finger exercises and/or cleaning the spooge out of POS boards
MidKnight wrote:...if only they made low-profile mechanical switches...
Cherry ML, M81, or a variety of vintage and/or obscure ALPS switches
maackey

Post by maackey »

What kind of shop would have these keyboards available to test-drive? Any in the Tampa area? I'm not really considering dropping $100+ I don't have, but I've always been curious as to why people rave over these things. I've seen those fancy diagrams before but they mean nothing to someone who hasn't felt the keys.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”