some new player with evorts on gentoo linux

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

knorke

Post by knorke »

chat
http://pastebin.com/cFLjZWyQ
not really interessting beside "I've gotten as far as it starting a game, except that it says I won, instantly. Adding bots on different teams doesn't help..."

infolog
http://pastebin.com/WTRUSsWN
[f=0000000] Failed to load: api_subdir_gadgets.lua ([string "LuaRules/Gadgets/api_subdir_gadgets.lua"]:36: attempt to index local 'g' (a nil value))
[f=0000000] Failed to load: chickens_unit_spawner_defense.lua ([string "LuaRules/Gadgets/chickens_unit_spawner_defe..."]:277: attempt to index field 'difficulties' (a nil value))

1000x :
[f=0000203] Error: OpenGL: source<API> type<error> id<0> severity<high>:

Told him to try other ais, dont know if it worked or was the cause.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Re: some new player with evorts on gentoo linux

Post by Kloot »

An instawin just mean the game-end condition triggered incorrectly, so possibly no enemy starting units were spawned due to gadget errors or no bots were assigned to any enemy allyteam which would be a typical case of new-player-confusion. Neither can be ruled out without demo or script.txt though. (edit: looks like he got it working)

As for the opengl error spam, using mesa is asking for trouble:
GL renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710
GLSL version: 1.30
GL vendor: X.Org
GL version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0.1
(seems evorts attracted attention noticed from the wz2100 community, Meowsqueak is one of its devs)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Of course I wouldn't be around to help him :cry:

Thanks for helping him out knorke :-)

My guess would be bot on the same ally team.

The gadget error is "normal" and is caused by _not_ having a survival mode bot in the game. I've tried to fix it so that it exits nicely when not in use, but fixing the error also causes it not to work at all when properly called. Silliness :-/
Meowsqueak

Post by Meowsqueak »

The bots were on different teams. Apparently, most of the bots don't work. NullAI, shard dev, and the spawners work, the rest I tried don't.

Don't know why all maps are snow maps — the textures seem to be pure white.

How is an error like "GL_INVALID_ENUM in glCompressedTexImage2D(internalFormat)" even possible, with texture compression disabled anyway?

Using mesa (with hardware acceleration) is asking for trouble? Which version of OpenGL is needed?

Was really hard to find a version of springlobby that could build — the latest that worked was 0.147. The bug that makes it fail was supposed to be fixed in 0.159, but 0.159 doesn't exist... (At least, not in http://www.springlobby.info/tarballs/ .)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Meowsqueak wrote:Don't know why all maps are snow maps — the textures seem to be pure white.

How is an error like "GL_INVALID_ENUM in glCompressedTexImage2D(internalFormat)" even possible, with texture compression disabled anyway?

Using mesa (with hardware acceleration) is asking for trouble? Which version of OpenGL is needed?
You'll have to use the closed source gfx drivers (x11-drivers/ati-drivers).
Meowsqueak wrote:Was really hard to find a version of springlobby that could build — the latest that worked was 0.147. The bug that makes it fail was supposed to be fixed in 0.159, but 0.159 doesn't exist... (At least, not in http://www.springlobby.info/tarballs/ .)
SL is a little fragile atm. Will be better with next spring-release. Are you using the spring-overlay? Follow http://springrts.com/wiki/Gentoo_install and you'll be fine. I have games-util/springlobby-0.159 running, but it doesn't always compile, bc some files are in the wrong place.... or was the 0.157?
From my .bash_history: When the build fails I do:

Code: Select all

$ emerge -av games-util/springlobby
# build fails at some point bc file is not found
$ cd /gentoo/tmp/build/working/portage/games-util/springlobby-0.157-r1/work  ## this is prolly wrong, but you'll find out...
$ cp ./springlobby-0.157/src/springlobby.desktop springlobby-0.157/
$ cp ./springlobby-0.157/springlobby_config.h springlobby-0.157_build/
$ cp ./springlobby-0.157/src/images/springlobby.svg springlobby-0.157/images
$ cd
$ ebuild /gentoo/overlays/layman/Spring/games-util/springlobby/springlobby-0.157-r1.ebuild merge 
The paths will be different for you, and there were some "cd .." and stuff in between, but you get the idea. Use "find" to locate the missing files, and copy them to their expected destination, then continue the started ebuild with "ebuild ... merge" so it installs.

Good luck :)
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Meowsqueak wrote:Don't know why all maps are snow maps — the textures seem to be pure white.
Map textures are DXT1-compressed and foss drivers tend to disable support for that due to the ever-lasting patent minefields surrounding use of the S3TC algorithms. See here for a solution.
Meowsqueak wrote:Using mesa (with hardware acceleration) is asking for trouble? Which version of OpenGL is needed?
At this point it's a moving target between 2.x and 4.x, and hw-mesa is still nowhere near blob driver levels.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Oh, for some reason I had it in my head that you would be using Desura build.

Yeah, the only bots that will work is shard (sometimes) and the survival spawner.

NullAI is just an empty ai that does nothing (good for sandboxing).
Meowsqueak

Post by Meowsqueak »

I did use the layman Spring overlay. It failed when trying to download the file http://www.springlobby.info/tarballs/sp ... 59.tar.bz2 , which doesn't exist.

I'd rather stay away from mysterious unstable blobs, even if they support more (non-standard?) things, rather not risk stuff crashing.

After installing libtxc_dxtn, there are textures!

The shard dev bot doesn't do anything (but at least the game doesn't end before it starts), in a local game, but on a server game, it does something. (The other ais don't work, neither local nor on a server.)

Hard to install and get working, think some people might give up before getting it working.

There's still a lot of OpenGL errors like

[f=0005545] Error: OpenGL: source<API> type<error> id<0> severity<high>:
GL_STACK_UNDERFLOW in glPopMatrix(mode=GL_PROJECTION)

[f=0005605] Error: OpenGL: source<API> type<error> id<0> severity<high>:
GL_INVALID_ENUM in glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameterivEXT(attachment)
[f=0005605] Error: OpenGL: source<API> type<error> id<0> severity<high>:
GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glFramebufferTexture2DEXT
Some, but not all, of the mouse cursors have a square white background instead of a transparent one.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Some, but not all, of the mouse cursors have a square white background instead of a transparent one.
mod error, some cursors are not sized pow2
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Meowsqueak wrote:I did use the layman Spring overlay. It failed when trying to download the file http://www.springlobby.info/tarballs/sp ... 59.tar.bz2 , which doesn't exist.
Uh yeah - that sux! I have informed the maintainers about that - I hope they'll fix it soon. In the meantime you can find the source here: https://github.com/springlobby/springlobby/tree/0.159 and a ZIP here: https://github.com/springlobby/springlo ... /0.159.zip

AFAIK the SL devs are currently moving their repository and stuff around. I guess just staying on 0.157 until they have sorted things out is the best way for now :/
Meowsqueak wrote:I'd rather stay away from mysterious unstable blobs, even if they support more (non-standard?) things, rather not risk stuff crashing.
ATI blob was in my previous experience very stable. They are really slow to follow the Xorg-API-changes, and the kernel-changes, so it takes like some month after a major kernel/X-upgrade for them to follow, but apart from that it works well.

In gentoo you can try it out without any problems and breakages, by just installing it and using "eselect opengl" to switch between mesa and ati (and ofc editing xorg.conf and a X-restart or a reboot). Not trying to convince you to switch - just saying it's not problematic to try it out :)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

knorke wrote:
mod error, some cursors are not sized pow2
Works fine in nvidia/windows. Sounds like a driver error/OGL to me.
knorke

Post by knorke »

its a compatibility thing, using pow2 sized textures is common sense/practice. (obv not 100% sure that THIS problem is caused by this but there is reason and it is easy to avoid problem)

btw i looked at the lua but the config loading thing with gadget[key] = value was too exotic for me. :roll:
Meowsqueak

Post by Meowsqueak »

I tried some other games other than evolutionrts in springlobby.

In one, I seemed to be able to start a game, until the interface turned blue, and the text was hard to read.

In another, all buildings were invisible, until near the end of the game, when I saw a lot of buildings flying around outside the map. Think I finished the game, but couldn't work out whether I won or lost. At least in that one, it was possible to read in-game chat, despite the 1000 OpenGL error message/second spam that erases all chat, since the real chat messages appeared on the right-hand side.
knorke

Post by knorke »

was hard to read text like this?
http://springrts.com/wiki/FAQ:trouble#F ... unreadable

Maybe screenshots of the other errors would be helpful, if not for science then at least for lols ;)
I think with that graphic cards it maybe is just not possible to play spring. Unless by chance your PC has two graphic cards and you can force it to switch to the better one.

I vaguely remember something about some spring testversion for "crap GPUs" but can not find it atm..
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28913 here it is mentioned but no download.
maybe someone else has more info on it.
Meowsqueak

Post by Meowsqueak »

The text wasn't hard to read like that. It was hard to read, but possible to read, and looked better than the rest of the GUI...

In Zero-K, at some point, there were trees flying around my commander, and dancing when the commander moved. All the invisible buildings and units suddenly appeared, when the commander died.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Meowsqueak wrote:In Zero-K, at some point, there were trees flying around my commander, and dancing when the commander moved.
OMG - that's fantastic - I want a video :lol:
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

dansan wrote:OMG - that's fantastic - I want a video :lol:
use ati + foss drivers with spring 91.0 and you'll see it. will be fixed in spring 92.0...

Return to “Help & Bugs”